Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: tig1
Both are called M1

Both come in a container

Both are slippery

Both are sort of pricy

That's about it, Quantifiably.

So really no different to a 1978 10W40, eh ?

Son, you speak a different language than I do. M1, of course, didn't have a 10-40 in 1978, however Amsoil did, as I tried it for one OCI. BOTH AS IN M1 OF 1978 AND 2017. 20 wt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
IIRC CAFE only matters for the current model year. As it is on average sold, I guess the definition of that would be most recent full model year?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2658661/Re:_CAFE_has_Little_to_do_with#Post2658661

Quote:
What are CAFE credits?

Manufacturers can earn CAFE “credits” to offset deficiencies in their CAFE performances. Specifically, when the average fuel economy of either the passenger car or light truck fleet for a particular model year exceeds the established standard, the manufacturer earns credits. The amount of credit a manufacturer earns is determined by multiplying the tenths of a mile per gallon that the manufacturer exceeded the CAFE standard in that model year by the amount of vehicles they manufactured in that model year. These credits can be applied to any three consecutive model years immediately prior to or subsequent to the model year in which the credits are earned. The credits earned and applied to the model years prior to the model year for which the credits are earned are termed “carry back” credits, while those applied to model years subsequent to the model year in which the credits are earned are known as “carry forward” credits. Failure to exercise carry forward credits within the three years immediately following the year in which they are earned will result in the forfeiture of those credits. Credits cannot be passed between manufacturers or between fleets, e.g., from domestic passenger cars to light trucks.

So yes, they can get credit for backspeccing...

Nice try 'though tig1...

This discussion started with Honda and Toyota back-spec'ing a lower viscosity. I doubt this was done by them to use credits:

1) I doubt they had CAFE penalties in the 3 years prior to the back-spec
2) Just by specifying a lower weight oil in the current model year they would have been able to carry back 3 years without back-spec'ing
3) Many of the model years to which the back--spec applied were more than 3 years old, making the whole CAFE credit discussion moot.

The more-likely answer in the Honda/Toyota case is that it makes the dealers' lives simpler in that they only have to stock a single grade of bulk oil.

And this actual gentleman may be on to something.

You on a roll Tig1. I like it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Like Quantum Physics. I'm in my mid 70's and don't give a hoot. What I mean by the same characteristic, is the same great performance I have had from actual experience the last 40 years.

Quit teasing us tig1.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back