Is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5/30 Now HTO-06 Spec Approved?

From back of 5 quart bottle ( off internet site ) . States formulated to MEET or EXCEED Honda / Acura HTO-6 . May use the ULTRA 0w-20 in the '13 FIT next year .

IMG_2131.JPG

Last edited:
I am just running into this as well with HTO-06

I've been digging and digging and I think this thread has INCORRECT information.

I cannot find any specification that superseds the HTO-06. One person is correct in that it was GF5 testing plus the hot tube test on used oil. But without that part of the test it's not superseding HTO-06 and apparently it's hard to pass or is cost prohibitive.

I will give some case in point examples that apply to me and this thread.

First it is important to understand that I have not found any oils that are not 5w30 that bear HTO-06 certification.

Secondly when one is found like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum, if you actually look you'll find that it's high mileage brother does NOT bear the HTO-06 certification. But yet they have the other certifications including GF-6. So I don't think GF-6 oils surpass or supersede HTO-06 like SP does to SN.

I don't know if it's just cost prohibitive for a certification that applies to few turbo cars that is probably not even considered by many drivers, or if there is something in the high mileage add pack that causes it to fail the test?

I'd sure like to know because I for one already made this mistake and didn't catch it until I the first time I pulled the dipstick and checked the oil level and saw it was already as dark as it is by the drain interval. I started head scratching wondering what the heck changed so I went comparing bottles I keep to carry my used oil away and noticed I had just assumed the high mileage version had the certification since the regular did. Doesn't seem to be the case.

I am just running into this as well with HTO-06

I've been digging and digging and I think this thread has INCORRECT information.

I cannot find any specification that superseds the HTO-06. One person is correct in that it was GF5 testing plus the hot tube test on used oil. But without that part of the test it's not superseding HTO-06 and apparently it's hard to pass or is cost prohibitive.

I will give some case in point examples that apply to me and this thread.

First it is important to understand that I have not found any oils that are not 5w30 that bear HTO-06 certification.

Secondly when one is found like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum, if you actually look you'll find that it's high mileage brother does NOT bear the HTO-06 certification. But yet they have the other certifications including GF-6. So I don't think GF-6 oils surpass or supersede HTO-06 like SP does to SN.

I don't know if it's just cost prohibitive for a certification that applies to few turbo cars that is probably not even considered by many drivers, or if there is something in the high mileage add pack that causes it to fail the test?

I'd sure like to know because I for one already made this mistake and didn't catch it until I the first time I pulled the dipstick and checked the oil level and saw it was already as dark as it is by the drain interval. I started head scratching wondering what the heck changed so I went comparing bottles I keep to carry my used oil away and noticed I had just assumed the high mileage version had the certification since the regular did. Doesn't seem to be the case.
If HT06 were that much better, Honda would have gone back to it with their new turbo motors. They haven't, they just use the API specs these days.

Use an SP, or better yet an SP Dexos1 Gen3 oil and sleep well at night.

There wasn't anything super special about that RDX motor that everyone else isn't doing these days.

I have 3rd gen Acura RDX and it does not require HTO-6, but its also turbo DI. I believe newer API specs meet HTO-6, but no one will bother retesting.

I can tell you from a simple internet search that Castrol Edge, Castrol Edge EP and Mobil 1 EP specifically state HTO-06 on their Product Data Sheets.

I can tell you from a simple internet search that Castrol Edge, Castrol Edge EP and Mobil 1 EP specifically state HTO-06 on their Product Data Sheets.

Honda does not require HTO-6 in their latest turbo engines

Personally, I stopped caring for PUP after 'discovering' Pennzoil Plat Euro LX oil, really like this oil and I can get it cheaper than US$27 (when on sale and combined with MIR) per 5L jug locally.

Im wondering about all this now. I did my oil change and had Ultra Platinum 5/30 put in. Nothing else was really done. Now Im losing 30 percent of my gas mileage, as a short drive I can physically see the gas needle go down. I dont know what else to check, or what else may be causing this other than the oil itself.

Im wondering about all this now. I did my oil change and had Ultra Platinum 5/30 put in. Nothing else was really done. Now Im losing 30 percent of my gas mileage, as a short drive I can physically see the gas needle go down. I dont know what else to check, or what else may be causing this other than the oil itself.
An oil doesn't cause a 30% decrease in mileage. Especially that oil. You are looking at the wrong thing.

Way, way off base here. If you don't know anywhere else to check then you need to take it in to the shop ASAP. You're puking fuel at a fast rate.

Back