Apple TV (A1469) no longer works with AirPlay

My dad was having problems with his 7 year old Apple TV box and asked me for help after he approved some sort of update. Ended up updating it and then just restoring the whole thing to factory condition. He's never used it for anything except AirPlay with his iPad, which was pretty easy to do.

The big thing seems to be that it's no longer indicating that it's activated and over an hour of looking things up, changing the credit card used for his Apple ID and nothing changes the activation status.

I did look up that there might be a tool (Apple Configurator) for Macs that might be used to manually activate, but it requires a newer Mac (MacOS 12.4 or newer) that I don't have any more.

I was trying to see if maybe he could just use direct AirPlay to his LG TV, although that one was kind of old. It was never connected to their network, and once I connected it I saw it working by displaying video from an iPad, but once disconnected it didn't show up again as AirPlay enabled. His is an older TV - probably at least 5 years old with that funky interface where the remote is pointed at the screen like a pointing device.

Back