Apple Watch Series 9 DOA

Ive never had a device come dead. IME Apple devices are shipped 20-30% SOC. Makes one wonder if it is indeed dead, and works from sitting overnight, why? Sat on a shelf too long? Latent defect in the battery?

If it works, I’d want to watch it like a hawk for other potential issues with capacity.

Yeah - I suspect that the battery had completely died even though it was new and completely sealed in the package. My guess is that it accidentally turned on in the package, discharged until it turned off, and was sitting there long enough where the battery went into deep discharge beyond the state where it will ever work again without a battery replacement. Heck - the replacement was new in the package and was somewhere around 15% state of charge.

I've had an Apple device that did really weird things with a completely dead battery and got an aftermarket battery replacement where it was working again. These sealed-battery devices tend not to work unless there battery is at least minimally functional.

It’s really odd too as Apple’s “Check My Coverage” didn’t show up for the original, but does today in less than two hours for the new one. The warranty ends in a year minus a day, so that’s with today as the purchase date.

That’s for retail refurbished by Apple. The model number will start with an R and they come with all the accessories that come with a new device, plus they have the standard warranty. Sold as new by Apple will have a model number starting with M. Replacements start with an N, where they come in a white box without any accessories. With a replacement, the warranty is for 90 days or the remainder of the original warranty for the part it replaced. Battery service is typically done with a replacement. The last time I got a warranty replacement was for an iPad mini 6 where it just stopped syncing or working with any USB-A to USB-C cable. I still had over 90 days left on the original warranty for the device it replaced, so that’s when the warranty expired.

When I got that replacement, they took it out of the plain white box and said I couldn’t even have the box, since they used that for the bad device to return to Apple. Not sure how it works for a device that’s shipped to Apple for “service”.

But now my dad is happy. He’s gotten a replacement device from Apple before (battery service for an iPad Pro) but he wouldn’t be happy getting a refurb to replace a new device. The one thing they checked at BB was the serial number on the device to see that it matched the receipt. I suppose some might try and get them to replace a dead device out of warranty.
of course he should have new...I was specifically answering those who were calling Apple Certified Refurbished something other than Apple Certified Refurbished and adding my own experience...in your Dad's case he should get another new Apple watch

Bill

Right now watch 9s would be refurbished replacements only. The only time you would get a new replacement would be right at launch where apple ships out retail new units in retail boxes alongside replacement units that are new units missing all the retail packaging.

Just revisiting this discussion. The replacement devices are really a way to handle all sorts of issues, including some that are extremely mundane, like battery replacement or warranty replacement. But they could be after someone damaged one and decided to pay a fee to get a replacement.

The devices exchanged may or may not be repairable. When I tried bringing in an Apple device for a battery replacement, they carefully checked it to make sure that the case wasn't damaged - mostly placing it on a flat surface to make there was no bend to it. However, it's my understanding that anything with normal wear, scratches, etc. that are accepted (as good condition) still end up getting their cases and display replaced when they're turned into replacement devices. I think some replacement devices might come from devices returned in good working condition, but where they'll make sure to replace the battery. Replacements always get a brand new serial number, and that requires a new case. I suppose they might reuse a display that's cosmetically perfect.

I suspect that Best Buy is going to return the non-functioning Apple Watch to Apple for credit. I doubt that it was anything worse than a completely dead battery that wouldn't charge, so they'll probably just put in a new battery and case and it will go towards their replacement device stock.

Just revisiting this discussion. The replacement devices are really a way to handle all sorts of issues, including some that are extremely mundane, like battery replacement or warranty replacement. But they could be after someone damaged one and decided to pay a fee to get a replacement.

The devices exchanged may or may not be repairable. When I tried bringing in an Apple device for a battery replacement, they carefully checked it to make sure that the case wasn't damaged - mostly placing it on a flat surface to make there was no bend to it. However, it's my understanding that anything with normal wear, scratches, etc. that are accepted (as good condition) still end up getting their cases and display replaced when they're turned into replacement devices. I think some replacement devices might come from devices returned in good working condition, but where they'll make sure to replace the battery. Replacements always get a brand new serial number, and that requires a new case. I suppose they might reuse a display that's cosmetically perfect.

I suspect that Best Buy is going to return the non-functioning Apple Watch to Apple for credit. I doubt that it was anything worse than a completely dead battery that wouldn't charge, so they'll probably just put in a new battery and case and it will go towards their replacement device stock.
Its one method of addressing customer issues quick, and keeping labor costs down (centralized outsourced contractors usually repair them for apple and samsung). For me personally, there are couple of reasons id rather want my original device fixed, rather then receive a replacement such as the quality of the repairs. A couple of prominent apple repair shops like Louis Rossman go into depth about these.

Regardless I just wouldnt want one if i purchased a new device, and had it less then 24 hours. You did the right thing by going straight to BB go get a new unit.

Last edited:
Its one method of addressing customer issues quick, and keeping labor costs down (centralized outsourced contractors usually repair them for apple and samsung). For me personally, there are couple of reasons id rather want my original device fixed, rather then receive a replacement such as the quality of the repairs. A couple of prominent apple repair shops like Louis Rossman go into depth about these.

Regardless I just wouldnt want one if i purchased a new device, and had it less then 24 hours. You did the right thing by going straight to BB go get a new unit.

In a way it's kind of expensive since most likely they use a new case/display/battery with every refurb. It clearly makes things happen a lot faster than trying to actually repair the same device. However, the board is clearly the most expensive component. They could either create a lot of spare devices just for replacement, or they need to ensure that there's enough devices coming in to make new replacements. Either way, this is paid for with the premium price they charge for devices.

I'm OK with getting a refurb for a warranty issue or as a battery service. The ones I've seen from an Apple "service" looked perfect. I've seen aftermarket repaired iPads and they could look pretty bad, including excess glue or gaps. The only thing that worries me is the wear level of a device with flash memory. I don't know of any means to test for that, although I suppose Apple has that in its diagnostics.

In a way it's kind of expensive since most likely they use a new case/display/battery with every refurb. It clearly makes things happen a lot faster than trying to actually repair the same device. However, the board is clearly the most expensive component. They could either create a lot of spare devices just for replacement, or they need to ensure that there's enough devices coming in to make new replacements. Either way, this is paid for with the premium price they charge for devices.

I'm OK with getting a refurb for a warranty issue or as a battery service. The ones I've seen from an Apple "service" looked perfect. I've seen aftermarket repaired iPads and they could look pretty bad, including excess glue or gaps. The only thing that worries me is the wear level of a device with flash memory. I don't know of any means to test for that, although I suppose Apple has that in its diagnostics.
cosmetics and battery repairs are cheap and they usually are new part, what costs the highest is the board repair. Thats what gives me pause.

cosmetics and battery repairs are cheap and they usually are new part, what costs the highest is the board repair. Thats what gives me pause.

For the most part boards aren't supposed to be repaired. That's just not the way the mass-production electronics industry works. The board is either in perfect working order or they'll need a supply of new boards.

I get that there are some people who do repairs to boards, but the major electronics companies generally don't do that any more. When I first started in the electronics industry I thought it was bizarre, but for the most part it's a rabbit hole for companies where electronics assembly is mostly automated. At all of my companies, maybe some defective boards were looked at for failure analysis and expensive prototypes might be repaired, but never where it was going back to the customer.

Monetizing defective units and returns is smart, and with Apple's margins, they can afford to do it right.

They do fine with the 15% discount haircut they take on their factory refurbs, and consumers get like new products that carry the same warranty and coverage options as a brand new unit. I'm typing this on a refurb Mac now, which is normally a BTO configuration that would have had to been special ordered with little, to no discount through the few normal channels. But when they pop up in the Refurb store, the get snapped up very quickly.

And for the occasional dud that does slip through the process, and turns into a chronic lemon, they back them up with solid support.

Monetizing defective units and returns is smart, and with Apple's margins, they can afford to do it right.

They do fine with the 15% discount haircut they take on their factory refurbs, and consumers get like new products that carry the same warranty and coverage options as a brand new unit. I'm typing this on a refurb Mac now, which is normally a BTO configuration that would have had to been special ordered with little, to no discount through the few normal channels. But when they pop up in the Refurb store, the get snapped up very quickly.

And for the occasional dud that does slip through the process, and turns into a chronic lemon, they back them up with solid support.

It's my understanding that more or their refurbs go into replacement device inventory than retail refurbished devices.

But there are a variety of reasons why they come back. Obviously for warranty issues where they won't reuse it, but often it's just a dead battery that's pretty easy to replace. I've heard a lot of parts for refurbs originally came back to Apple as no-excuse returns where they simply won't sell them as new. But it does get rather expensive for Apple when they have to slap on a new case.

This would never happen with an Android watch. Fact.

I suppose……

I suppose……

I can't speak for a defective Android watch but I got a Samsung phone that had a defect out of the box. The camera app would constantly crash. I had bought the phone directly from Samsung and they said I should return it for a refund. They did want to bother with the logistics of an exchange. I got the refund as soon as I shipped the phone back to them. I ordered the same model again and that worked. I got the second phone within two days.

Last edited:
I can't speak for a defective Android watch but I got a Samsung phone that had a defect out of the box. The camera app would constantly crash. I had bought the phone directly from Samsung and they said I should return it for a refund. They did want to bother with the logistics of an exchange. I got the refund as soon as I shipped the phone back to them. I ordered the same model again and that worked. I got the second phone within two days.
I think you're reading the posts wrong. Some devices from all manufacturers arrive DOA. No big deal, if the OP wanted too, he too could have simply returned it to Best Buy for a refund or just got a new one. Simple stuff, return policy I think is two weeks on electronics from Best Buy, but the rest of the thread is more what if's and refurb items which do not apply.

Last edited:
I think you're reading the posts wrong. Some devices from all manufacturers arrive DOA. No big deal, if the OP wanted too, he too could have simply returned it to Best Buy for a refund or just got a new one. Simple stuff, return policy I think is two weeks on electronics from Best Buy, but the rest of the thread is more what if's and refurb items which do not apply.
I only read the tile about the device being DOA and saw the comment "This would never happen to an Android watch." That's what I replied to.

I can't speak for a defective Android watch but I got a Samsung phone that had a defect out of the box. The camera app would constantly crash. I had bought the phone from Samsung and they said I should return it for a refund. They did want to bother with the logistics of an exchange. I got the refund as soon as I shipped the phone back to them. I ordered the same model again and that worked. I got the second phone within two days.

Stuff like this happens. I suspect my dad’s case was a bad battery out of the box, although it could have been anything from a deep discharged battery that will never charge again, to a displaced battery connector. But thinking of it, it had all the signs of a device where there was zero battery activity.

My guess is that someone at Apple (or their repair contractor) if going to disassemble it, apply power, and figure out that all it needs is a new battery. But then it probably needs a new case.

Stuff like this happens. I suspect my dad’s case was a bad battery out of the box, although it could have been anything from a deep discharged battery that will never charge again, to a displaced battery connector. But thinking of it, it had all the signs of a device where there was zero battery activity.

My guess is that someone at Apple (or their repair contractor) if going to disassemble it, apply power, and figure out that all it needs is a new battery. But then it probably needs a new case.
There could be a smartwatch breaking yard somewhere in India. :ROFLMAO:

I was just thinking of the possibilities. Getting it replaced by Apple as a warranty service was still an option. It was what my dad was initially intent on doing.

Still - I wonder sometimes about aftermarket resale value if there's a refurb or replacement. There's no getting around that it shows up in the model number.

An Apple Refurbished product is a good deal for many people. It is extensively tested after repair to make sure it passes Apple's standards of quality, something a typical newly assembled Apple product does not go through. The testing on such factory assembly is done on a few units only per batch, but not each and every final product. The Refurbished unit has the full year warranty like any new unit. Frankly, because of this, I would have more confidence in the more extensively tested Apple Refurbished's durability than a new unit.

An Apple Refurbished product is a good deal for many people. It is extensively tested after repair to make sure it passes Apple's standards of quality, something a typical newly assembled Apple product does not go through. The testing on such factory assembly is done on a few units only per batch, but not each and every final product. The Refurbished unit has the full year warranty like any new unit. Frankly, because of this, I would have more confidence in the more extensively tested Apple Refurbished's durability than a new unit.
Yes I guess it can be but you do have to be careful and check prices of the new Apple devices from retailers. Sometimes they are not that far apart. Also it's very limited in scope of what products they offer at any given time. For example, today, the only refurb Apple Watch is the budget priced SE and only in the small size. No other models available.
I just turned in my Watch 7 at Best Buy for a new Watch 9 and my cost with the trade was $247
I just figured it was a matter of time before I was going to need a battery replacement and my ECG function wasnt working correctly anymore on the 7. Dont know why but was going to cost me almost that much to send to Apple and find out/exchange.

I figured *LOL* I wore out the ECG function. I did close to 1000 ECGs with the watch I have 890 saved, showed dozens to my doctors and it got me care fast enough before any heart damage by my doctors performing a cardiac ablation.

Yes I guess it can be but you do have to be careful and check prices of the new Apple devices from retailers. Sometimes they are not that far apart. Also it's very limited in scope of what products they offer at any given time. For example, today, the only refurb Apple Watch is the budget priced SE and only in the small size. No other models available.
I just turned in my Watch 7 at Best Buy for a new Watch 9 and my cost with the trade was $247
I just figured it was a matter of time before I was going to need a battery replacement and my ECG function wasnt working correctly anymore on the 7. Dont know why but was going to cost me almost that much to send to Apple and find out/exchange.

I figured *LOL* I wore out the ECG function. I did close to 1000 ECGs with the watch I have 890 saved, showed dozens to my doctors and it got me care fast enough before any heart damage by my doctors performing a cardiac ablation.

I would think the majority Apple's refurbishing output is going to replacement devices. Their replacement prices can be pretty steep though. I had an iPad mini 4 that I paid $299 for on sale from an authorized dealer. But that's what Apple wanted to "repair" (really replace) it. However, if I needed a battery service, the $99 they charged made a bit more sense.

When I've had a real warranty issue, I really didn't have another choice. I did have my iPad mini 6 for about 7-8 months, so they just up and gave me one with a new battery, although the battery does seem have some premature wear. I'll probably get that replaced when eligible, unless that's 4 year down the line (when I'm probably ready for a new device.).

Back