Apple Watch Series 9 DOA

My dad bought one brand new from Best Buy. Got a really good price on it (including a price match that seemed a bit wrong, but he got it even cheaper). It’s absolutely new, where he asked me to help set it up and I broke all the factory packaging seals. It wouldn’t turn on out of the box. So I tried charging it. I needed to give him a USB-C power adapter since my parents don’t have anything that requires USB-C until now; they still use USB-A to Lightning on Apple devices. All it does is flash the Apple logo for a couple of seconds and it goes off. Maybe repeats after 20 seconds.

He asked me to go with him to an Apple Store to have it looked at. They originally said they couldn’t without an appointment but then he asked someone else and the looked at it, but then made an appointment for an actual tech to look at it. They saw how it just flashed the Apple logo briefly rather than showing a charging indicator.

So he has the appointment but a friend of his said that it should be left charging overnight. So he’s going to do that and see if it resolves itself.

Let it charge overnight.
If it doesn’t function perfectly in the morning, take it back to the point of purchase for an exchange or a full refund.
+100 new device broken out of the box, always return and get a new one. Even if the device is faulty, apple store will simply exchange your new device for a refurb (they absolutely dislike calling it that, i think re-certified or something silly is labeled) unless you purchased from them directly (they will issue a refund and replace with a new in box unit).

Last edited:
+100 new device broken out of the box, always return and get a new one. Even if the device is faulty, apple store will simply exchange your new device for a refurb (they absolutely dislike calling it that, i think re-certified or something silly is labeled) unless you purchased from them directly (they will issue a refund and replace with a new in box unit).

Apple calls them replacement devices. I’ve gotten one as a warranty replacement and the device was cosmetically perfect with a new battery. They can be new or refurbished.

Apple calls them replacement devices. I’ve gotten one as a warranty replacement and the device was cosmetically perfect with a new battery. They can be new or refurbished.
Right now watch 9s would be refurbished replacements only. The only time you would get a new replacement would be right at launch where apple ships out retail new units in retail boxes alongside replacement units that are new units missing all the retail packaging.

Either way Id see if it charges overnight if not ask for an exchange at best buy.

Right now watch 9s would be refurbished replacements only. The only time you would get a new replacement would be right at launch where apple ships out retail new units in retail boxes alongside replacement units that are new units missing all the retail packaging.

Either way Id see if it charges overnight if not ask for an exchange at best buy.

I suspect that it is truly dead and at the Apple Store all they’ll do is pull one out of their replacement stock if they have any, where it’s probably a refurb. He’s probably going back to BB to see if they’ll replace it with a new one. They might want to have a look at it first. Maybe even try to get it to work, but this really looks DOA since it doesn’t show any charging indicator but just briefly flashes the Apple logo when connected to the magnetic power supply.

I did get an Apple Store replacement for a cable once. Has to show that I still had a warranty and that the cable wasn’t frayed (I covered the end with shrink wrap). The manager pulled a retail cable from the shelf, gave me the cable, and kept the box. I also got an email receipt showing a 1:1 exchange at retail value and was told it should provide a one year warranty from the exchange date.

Sounds like you have an issue with Best Buy
If you buy a product from them and it doesn’t work you can simply return it. I feel bad your father has to go through this it’s not necessary bring it back to Best Buy get a refund and buy a new one.

I hate to say it, but leaving it charge overnight would be highly unusual. Even the most dead Apple Watch doesn’t take more than an hour to charge. Furthermore, Apple watches come with enough charge to start up.

Something isn’t right. Hope you update the thread. Once you know the resolution.

Last edited:
One other thought.
I want to make sure that your father understands he needs an iPhone right next to the watch to set up the watch.
Here are the instructions. Once you turn on the watch, you actually go into your iPhone settings to proceed.
If you don’t proceed using your iPhone, the watch will do what it’s doing now, and just turn off again.
We have many I phones, and Apple watches in the family if that means anything to you

In other words, once you activate the Apple Watch, nothing will happen until you use your iPhone to start the process.

Last edited:
Certified Refurbished is what Apple calls them on their website...when I had an issue with a warranted iPad and its power/home button theApple Store (once confirming) told me I could get a new one or a Certified Refurbished...the new one would take a few days and the Certified Refurbished I could take-home that day...

Certified Refurbished get the same warranty as new, are completely checked and get new case and exteriors...I never had an issue with that iPad again and I look at Certified Refurbished from Apple whenever I go to buy an Apple product never having an issue with any of them...

good luck with your Dad's Apple Watch...

Bill

Sounds like you have an issue with Best Buy
If you buy a product from them and it doesn’t work you can simply return it. I feel bad your father has to go through this it’s not necessary bring it back to Best Buy get a refund and buy a new one.

I hate to say it, but leaving it charge overnight would be highly unusual. Even the most dead Apple Watch doesn’t take more than an hour to charge. Furthermore, Apple watches come with enough charge to start up.

Something isn’t right. Hope you update the thread. Once you know the resolution.

This.

Some manufacturers have policies whereby they take the lead on handling all post-sale issues, and tell consumers to contact them directly, and bypass the retailer if there is a problem.

But Apple is not one of them, and in any case, BB is an authorized reseller who serves as a proxy where there are no Apple retail stores in the area anyway.

No need to involve Apple at this stage, and try to get a slot to see a Genius or get support, or make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Take it back to BB, tell them it's DOA, and ask for an exchange, or a refund. They may or may not want to have one of their Geek Squad people verify that it is kaput, but either way, that will provide a conclusive result enough to garner a resolution from BB.

Also keep in mind that any substitute unit Apple can provide will almost certainly not have the blood oxygen feature since the ITC ruling in the Massimo dispute prohibits them from shipping that feature, but that does not apply to the existing stock in the hands of resellers. BB may or may not either, depending on their sellthrough rate, but with Apple, there's slim, if not zero, chance to get a new unit that hasn't had that feature disabled (denoted by model number ending with "LW/A").

If the unit is in question isn't gimped, they'll probably only be able to provide a refurb that matches that model, and while their refurbs has fine, one might expect a new watch with such a recent purchase.

Last edited:
After thinking about this after my posts, I am as certain as can be the OP doesnt know you need an iPhone to "turn on" an Apple Watch for the first time. The watch does not "turn on" out of the box.
You activate the watch by turning on the watch, Apple Logo appears briefly and then you pair it to an iPhone to "turn it on." If they have done this, then think no further, return it to the store and get a new one, stress free refund or exchange. That is what is great with Best Buy.

I would stress to read posts 9 and 10. Problem solved. Hope to hear which one is was.

Last edited:
Ive never had a device come dead. IME Apple devices are shipped 20-30% SOC. Makes one wonder if it is indeed dead, and works from sitting overnight, why? Sat on a shelf too long? Latent defect in the battery?

If it works, I’d want to watch it like a hawk for other potential issues with capacity.

After thinking about this after my posts, I am as certain as can be the OP doesnt know you need an iPhone to "turn on" an Apple Watch for the first time.
You activate the watch Apple Logo appears briefly and then you pair it to his iPhone to turn it on. If they have done this, then think no further, return it to the store and get a new one, stress free refund or exchange. That is what is great with Best Buy.

I would stress to read posts 9 and 10. Problem solved. Hope to hear which one is was.
But flashing on then turning off isn’t right. It will sit with some type of welcome screen indefinitely IIRC.

But flashing on then turning off isn’t right. It will sit with some type of welcome screen indefinitely IIRC.
I dont remember that happening. It was less then or around a month ago that I bought a new Watch 9 that replaced my Watch 7.
I think the Apple Symbol appeared then went away. Almost certain of it. Then pair according to the post #10
But we will only know until we hear from the OP.
Oops, looks like you are right ... and he has a return for Best Buy
Just not enough info from the OP, here in this video it shows the screen going blank but only after being instructed to pair the watch for a minute or so.
The reason I was sure is my watch screen did go black because I left my phone in another room, by the time I got back the screen was black. I would just like to know if the OP knows it needs to pair with the phone to work.

Last edited:
Yeah. Initially tried turning it on next to his iPhone with Bluetooth turned on and it does nothing. Power button does nothing and there’s that weird display of the Apple logo. He wants to return it to BB and cancel the appointment if it works. And maybe test it in the store or parking lot. But if it doesn’t work I’m not sure what he wants, where he still has the appointment.

I will say that at the Apple Store, one particular employee was a little bit snarky that he got it at Best Buy. But it was on sale there (plus it got price matched even further based on the wrong size).

A new one should at least indicate that it’s charging even if it hasn’t been paired.

Long story but he asked to go with him (he had a medical appointment) but they wouldn’t exchange it at another BB store. Had to take it to the original store and the replacement powered on correctly although it started with maybe 15% battery.

The first attempt to pair ended up with it unpairing, but the second attempt did pair. Going to see what happens now.

It’s really odd too as Apple’s “Check My Coverage” didn’t show up for the original, but does today in less than two hours for the new one. The warranty ends in a year minus a day, so that’s with today as the purchase date.

Certified Refurbished is what Apple calls them on their website...when I had an issue with a warranted iPad and its power/home button theApple Store (once confirming) told me I could get a new one or a Certified Refurbished...the new one would take a few days and the Certified Refurbished I could take-home that day...

Certified Refurbished get the same warranty as new, are completely checked and get new case and exteriors...I never had an issue with that iPad again and I look at Certified Refurbished from Apple whenever I go to buy an Apple product never having an issue with any of them...

good luck with your Dad's Apple Watch...

Bill

That’s for retail refurbished by Apple. The model number will start with an R and they come with all the accessories that come with a new device, plus they have the standard warranty. Sold as new by Apple will have a model number starting with M. Replacements start with an N, where they come in a white box without any accessories. With a replacement, the warranty is for 90 days or the remainder of the original warranty for the part it replaced. Battery service is typically done with a replacement. The last time I got a warranty replacement was for an iPad mini 6 where it just stopped syncing or working with any USB-A to USB-C cable. I still had over 90 days left on the original warranty for the device it replaced, so that’s when the warranty expired.

When I got that replacement, they took it out of the plain white box and said I couldn’t even have the box, since they used that for the bad device to return to Apple. Not sure how it works for a device that’s shipped to Apple for “service”.

But now my dad is happy. He’s gotten a replacement device from Apple before (battery service for an iPad Pro) but he wouldn’t be happy getting a refurb to replace a new device. The one thing they checked at BB was the serial number on the device to see that it matched the receipt. I suppose some might try and get them to replace a dead device out of warranty.

Back