Any Veterinarians here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to add she gives a 10 % discount to those over 60.
I'm over 70
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: xBa380
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser

No way, dogs are family. You are responsible to care and love for the dog. You took on that responsibility when you got it, and if it means paying to keep him/her healthy, then you do it. If not, don't have one at all, ridiculous.

If the dog is 15, already had a great life, maybe I can understand you reasoning, its like operating on someone in their 90s, risky and other issues such as rehab, etc. But you kind of said all, no way. I've spent thousands just on ear problems for my one lab, I'd spend 20k if needed. Estimate 4k so far. Family.

Can't agree more with this. It’s really sad to me when people who have a dog/cat or whatever, that requires some care, and they rather just put it down. HATE that mentality with people, makes me sick. Like you said, if you get the dog, you take on the responsibility to love and care for the animal. If you can’t afford the potential care and responsibility that comes with whatever pet, don’t get the animal. Let somebody else who will, adopt and care for them. Just put away some money each month into a “vet/medical” fund so years down the line if your dog needs a $2,500 surgery, you have the money. My husky is 11 years old and if in two years he needed a $2,500 surgery to extend his life another year, no doubt about it. It would get done! As you said, family. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I put down a dog who had a potential good life in front of them because I was too cheap. Won’t happen.

I won’t put a dog down unless it’s absolutely a requirement and if any potential care won’t gain any worthwhile time for the animal.

Glad to see some people get it. Your dogs are very lucky.

I also know people who have dogs and dont go to the vet, this annoys me as well. They say its too much, fools. Every year a dog needs a checkup. blood work, shots, etc. Yea it costs money, but thats parts of having a dog. I don't understand some people, or actually most people.

ever have a dog with stones?
simple surgery.
Then Science Diet CD or another similar from the Vet at $30/month.
Our boxer has lived for years afterwards.
Painful if not corrected.

Do it Marine.

Originally Posted By: marine65
Took my Dog to the Vet i have used before.
Same conclusion that he needs the bladder operation.
I told her that the other Vet wanted 2K to 3K she laughed.
Her charge will be $500.
She said its a simple procedure.
So 7/20 he goes in.

Good to see you are doing it. Good luck. Surprised they aren't doing sooner. So maybe it isn't so bad. I think we paid $800 here in Central NY. well worth it!

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
ever have a dog with stones?
simple surgery.
Then Science Diet CD or another similar from the Vet at $30/month.
Our boxer has lived for years afterwards.
Painful if not corrected.

My favorite breed. My brother just brought his 90 lb male here from Virginia for a visit. What a great boy. Only 3.5 years old with a great personality.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
....Also consider lithotripsy, either a laser or shock waves breakup the stones, allowing it to pass.

No cutting involved...

That's what I was thinking. I've never had it done, but I know for humans there is a procedure where you sit in a tank of water, and they bombard the stones with ultrasonic sound waves, and break them up into almost a powder that allows them to pass easily, and with very little discomfort. It would seem they could do the same for dogs. I would for sure look into it.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If that was my dog, I'd let it live out till it dies or have it put to sleep if it is suffering.

There is no way I could look into those eyes while he takes a needle ending his life, because I chose the cheap way out. When I know there was a procedure available to save him. Some things cannot be defined by dollars.

Ours is ten. Beat cancer. Only 65 pounds but all love.

70 lbs. is probably closer to his ideal weight. Which is how much he weighed when they adopted him when he was one years old. He looks pudgy to me and the vet said he needs to slim down. But my sister in law feeds him too much. It's good quality stuff he eats but still. And he gets a lot of exercise. But not my dog so I stay out of it the best I can. He's spoiled but that beats the opposite.

Took my Dog to the Vet i have used before.
Same conclusion that he needs the bladder operation.
I told her that the other Vet wanted 2K to 3K she laughed.
Her charge will be $500.
She said its a simple procedure.
So 7/20 he goes in.

Good to see you are doing it. Good luck. Surprised they aren't doing sooner. So maybe it isn't so bad. I think we paid $800 here in Central NY. well worth it!

The 20th was the first open date for surgery.
but they said if he gets plugged up bring him in immediately and they will do it.
so far he is urinating just fine.

I took my dog in for his surgery this morning.
He's getting bladder stones removed,neutered and his teeth cleaned.
All for about $550.

I took my dog in for his surgery this morning.
He's getting bladder stones removed,neutered and his teeth cleaned.
All for about $550.

That's a pretty darn good price these days. Hope everything turns out 100% for you and the pooch.

Total cost with my senior discount was $515.
This included his antibiotic and pain pills.
I felt like I was stealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back