hard day - going to the vet later

Went to the vet on Monday because he had some odd blister between his toes & looked kind of tired /
After the regular 5-minute check the vet says that I have other problems than the toes /
Checked the whole dog again, x-rays, took blood for testing /
Next day I went to the vet & was told (& shown on the x-rays) that he has a few tumors in the chest & the vet is surprised that my dog is still alive with this white blood cell count /
Pretty much from Tuesday on he's hardly eating, walking or doing anything - just laying there & sleeping /
After a few more tests the vet called & said it's best to put him to sleep before he gets in pain /
I have a vet appointment for 1pm /

His name is Clooney & he's an American Akita /

Clooney_PXL_20230819_062905099a.jpg

That was a good two years ago /
He was the happiest dog ever /

It may seem unfathomable to say this, but unlike many of my human interactions (long distance/occasional), losing a pet companion that we interact daily with sometimes seems more difficult. As I "approach" old age, I keep trying to remind myself about the life process and death.

Hang in there. It hurts.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. Ours is in the same boat. Still gets up and walks, but is wasting away due to not eating and her mobility is suffering. Not in pain but clearly she isn't in her right mind either.

I am so sorry that you’re having to go through this, it’s tough and it hurts. I’m not ashamed to say that I cried like a baby when I had to do this to Kiwi and Alby. Hang in there, for as wrong as it feels, you’re doing the right thing for Clooney.

The second of our two aging cat siblings had to go this route. The other brother died in his sleep 3 years before.

The easily spooked survivor prevented us from getting a dog.

Now we have a stunning Shiba Inu. Shibas are the smallest on the 5 rung Akita ladder.

As ironies would have it, there's a good chance he's going to see us off this world.

Condolences extended. It will get better.

Went to the vet on Monday because he had some odd blister between his toes & looked kind of tired /
After the regular 5-minute check the vet says that I have other problems than the toes /
Checked the whole dog again, x-rays, took blood for testing /
Next day I went to the vet & was told (& shown on the x-rays) that he has a few tumors in the chest & the vet is surprised that my dog is still alive with this white blood cell count /
Pretty much from Tuesday on he's hardly eating, walking or doing anything - just laying there & sleeping /
After a few more tests the vet called & said it's best to put him to sleep before he gets in pain /
I have a vet appointment for 1pm /

His name is Clooney & he's an American Akita /

View attachment 173746

That was a good two years ago /
He was the happiest dog ever /

I am so sorry.

I'm 61 years old & probably considered a man's man, but if I look at him right now, I just start crying /

View attachment 173754
He looks like a beautiful dog.

When my black lab was like that, for whatever reason, I thought that a strong prescription was gonna fix him. I wasn’t thinking properly but I hoped, only to see no change overnight.

I had to tell myself my boy had a good life thanks to me, and your boy is no different. 😥

Back