Lost my buddy yesterday

It was not what I was praying for but I had to make the hard decision for my Neopolitan Mastiff. I was hoping his walking on 3 legs was a joint problem but it turned out to be a neurological problem similar to ALS that only gets worse. And a mass on his leg the doctor suspected was bone cancer. The vet said "I cannot fix this". He could no longer get himself up without me helping. I sat on the floor in the vet's exam room and and held him until the end.

He was a pain, whined and howled and slobbery. And wanted to be pet or hold his paw for hours. But he had so much love and trust when I would sit with him. I have another dog whom I have had for 12 years. She is a great dog and would protect me from anyone and anything. But does not show the love and trust my Neopolitan Mastiff showed. Every dog is different.

So Mason Thank You So Much for being a Loving and Trusting Dog for over 10 years.

Attachments

• PXL_20220305_152306548.jpg
    PXL_20220305_152306548.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20231029_220227204.jpg
    PXL_20231029_220227204.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 65
I am so very sorry for your loss! What a great dog, may he rest in peace, and may you find some peace in the fact that he trusted you to take care of things he couldn't understand. As hard as it is, that is precisely what you did.

What a beautiful dog. So sad for your loss. May Mason rest in forever peace knowing how much you cared for him.

Sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved Liberty, 16yo pitbull lab mix, 2 years ago. It was rough. She was my "first dog".

Share a story about your dog, something funny perhaps.

I'm sorry for your loss. Below is one of my favorite and eloquent "Tribute to the Dog"...

Gentlemen of the Jury: The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

George Graham Vest - c. 1855

Ed

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Neopolitan Mastiff, Donald. I went through a similar situation 10 years ago with our Lab-Shepherd mix who had Degenerative Myelopathy (DM) which is a genetic defect called the SOD-1 gene mutation. Please hold your other dog tightly tonight and think about the great life you were able to share with Mason.

Back