The tale of two different cat foods

I’ve been pet free for the last 20 years. Enjoyed having them but I could never go back. Too much drama. I know, I’m missing out on so much. So be it.

I really enjoy having a dog but I think if my wife wasn't around, I wouldn't have one on my own. I don't like the added responsibility and not being able to take off whenever, or need to get back home etc because I need to feed/walk the dog etc. Not to mention going on vacation is a PITA.

What brand is the good food?
Orejin. With the research I done in the past, it seems like the smaller Canadian companies had a better product then the US companies. Most of the US companies are owned by some big consumer conglomerate. I believe Orejin owns Acana. Both are made in Canada and US now. I just paid $70 for a 12.5lb bag of it. It use to be $50 for a 15lb bag before the coof. Would my cat live a happy life eating any other store bought food, probably yes. In the seven years I have had him, he has never had diarrhea. That’s quite amazing for any house pet.

Most of those store brands are filled with flavors cats love, it’s just like all the sugary cereals that kids eat. This is Friskies ingredients. You would think they would hide this more on their website.

IMG_0288.jpg

Orejin. With the research I done in the past, it seems like the smaller Canadian companies had a better product then the US companies. Most of the US companies are owned by some big consumer conglomerate. I believe Orejin owns Acana. Both are made in Canada and US now. I just paid $70 for a 12.5lb bag of it. It use to be $50 for a 15lb bag before the coof. Would my cat live a happy life eating any other store bought food, probably yes. In the seven years I have had him, he has never had diarrhea. That’s quite amazing for any house pet.

Most of those store brands are filled with flavors cats love, it’s just like all the sugary cereals that kids eat. This is Friskies ingredients. You would think they would hide this more on their website.

View attachment 170787
Yes, that’s the name I was looking for Orejin, yes, same companies and Acana seems to be the more cost effective line but still good. Orejin is the premium of their two lines but we can consider them both premium above all others for both dogs and cats.

Im impressed not many people bother to research what they feed. Thought I was one of the few with our dog if you read my other posts in this thread.
Orejin did open a plant in the USA, Im not sure what lines cat or dog.
My impression is you are feeding the top of the top of the line, best in maybe the world.

I still cant trust just one supply of food and why I mix and also add regular human food. But I know cats are different.

My cat used to eat raw chicken and liver but has stopped. We bought some gourmet foods from New Zealand (expensive stuff) but he doesn't eat them either.

His favorite is Blue Buffalo dry food. The ingredients are not bad.

Our cat loves that stuff. $7 a can here in Canada and he needs 1.5 cans a day. Needless to say he only gets it as a special treat.

I used to buy the Merrick cans. Nine years ago when our dog was a pup they were $2.79. Now they are $7.59. I can't understand who is buying these anymore.

View attachment 170787
It seems our Purina Cat Chow is pretty similar, but no cellulose at all and Chicken by-product is the first ingredient. We do Purina Dog Chow or sometimes the "farm dog" brown bag stuff at the farm supply. The cats are outdoor/indoor and live well for long enough and our Maremma's are averaging 13.5 years so far which is pretty good for an outdoor large 100lb+ dog breed.
Our first Maremma, she would get hot spots in her coat, but food didn't make a difference, and we tried everything from brown bag, fancy bagged, to chicken backs, and ground backs with some beef organs mixed in, none of it seemed to matter, the hot spots would come and go regardless.
They all get some bones and meat scraps as well, so I think their diet is fine.

This first one is veterinarian approved and usually hawked at the vet for purchase.

View attachment 170656
This second one is the one I chose after weeks of research when I brought home my new kitten.

View attachment 170657
My research said stay away from grains and fillers. It’s pretty scary that the Vet approved one has paper as the fourth ingredient. They like to tout that their first ingredient is chicken, but everything after that is garbage. The funny thing is, both of these are close in price.
This. I had a beagle mix who would bite at her paws. Come to find out switching her dog food to a formula without any grains made a huge difference.

Some small can stuff on Amazon called Solid Gold I tried recently, that the cat seems to like.
They had a 25%off coupon for two cases.

Water Sufficient For Processing, Tuna, Chicken, Sardine, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat, Carrots, Pumpkin, Spinach, Salt, Natural Flavor, Tapioca Starch, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Calcium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Xanthan Gum, Carob Bean Gum, Celery Powder, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Reduced Iron, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K)

Some small can stuff on Amazon called Solid Gold I tried recently, that the cat seems to like.
They had a 25%off coupon for two cases.

Water Sufficient For Processing, Tuna, Chicken, Sardine, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat, Carrots, Pumpkin, Spinach, Salt, Natural Flavor, Tapioca Starch, … Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K)
Solid Gold is a well known reliable higher end food for both dogs and cats

Back