Any rival to Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clevy,
Does SOPUS market their own name Shell oil as comparable to QS and Penn.? Some still hold to the paraffin of PA oils of yesteryear controversy. Is Shell made of the North Sea light sweet crude that is purported to be the best in the world?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
I am saying that I DO Prefer Mobil 1 over AMSOIL. I use Mobil 1. I dont use AMSOIL.

Quote:
I first used Mobil 1 back in 2007 in a 2000 Dodge Durango 360. Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 is what I used.

Quote:
Today, I think I would use LiquiMoly LongLife 0w-30 in that Durangos 360.

This forum does not have a one sentence per post limit. Feel free to type all your sentences in one post.
smile.gif

Otherwise known as greasing the post count...

Does SOPUS market their own name Shell oil as comparable to QS and Penn.? Some still hold to the paraffin of PA oils of yesteryear controversy. Is Shell made of the North Sea light sweet crude that is purported to be the best in the world?
[/quote]

Question is open to anyone.

Originally Posted By: 229
Does SOPUS market their own name Shell oil as comparable to QS and Penn.?

In Europe they do.

Asia as well.

In this thread skyship first said this:

Originally Posted By: skyship
In technical terms Fuchs and Castrol win the hydraulic fluid contracts from ZF, simply because Mobil can't produce a good enough mix.

And then in his next post he said this:

We are all entitled to an opinion and I think Castrol is better in engine oil terms than Mobil, although Fuchs are possibly equal in hydraulic fluid terms.

He ironically summed himself up very fittingly when he ended with this:

If you want to interpret my posts as factual diatribe that is a personal decision, it won't effect the way I comment.

What you are witnessing is the pathology of an insurance investigator whose job and mindset it is to find any reason to deny a claim. He has gotten so used to stretching truth / plausible deniability from his one on one encounters with unsuspecting customers that his brain is permanently wired to carry out all his human interactions in that way. For some reason, he hasn't realized that here he is documenting his different opinions to scrutiny in a public forum where there are people with more knowledge than him and many who look for logical consistency in arguments.

In my opinion,
It's the 2011 survey that had the real figures and that was not done by LM. Aftermarket seems to mean non dealership oil sales and non factory fill in Germany. I think it includes the Iffy and Eazy lubes, but that is not obvious in the last press release.
Mobil have most of the factory fill and quite a big share of the dealership oil deals, but they only had 5% of the private market because the owners here look for the best full synthetics (Inc HC synthetics) for a reasonable price and they were as expensive as Castrol.
The real odd thing is how you define the difference between Castrol, BP and Aral, as they might be different companies BUT they all have BP Oil as their real owners. The sales of BP and Aral oils are low in Germany, so the fact the last article has seperated them makes me wonder if LM is loosing first place to Castrol.

In my opinion,
It's the 2011 survey that had the real figures and that was not done by LM. Aftermarket seems to mean non dealership oil sales and non factory fill in Germany. I think it includes the Iffy and Eazy lubes, but that is not obvious in the last press release.
Mobil have most of the factory fill and quite a big share of the dealership oil deals, but they only had 5% of the private market because the owners here look for the best full synthetics (Inc HC synthetics) for a reasonable price and they were as expensive as Castrol.
The real odd thing is how you define the difference between Castrol, BP and Aral, as they might be different companies BUT they all have BP Oil as their real owners. The sales of BP and Aral oils are low in Germany, so the fact the last article has seperated them makes me wonder if LM is loosing first place to Castrol.

What I find interesting is that Castrol is so popular, when it was they who started the whole "Group III revolution". LM's popularity in Germany doesn't surprise me at all. Germans tend to buy German stuff (and I think that's a GOOD thing!
thumbsup2.gif
)

You say things that are interesting but then a few threads later you say this was wrong or that was not the way I said. What you say is attention getting but then you have no back up, which lets us down. In New York we have a team that is the Mets. I say they will win the World Series. Then a few threads down I say oh I did not mean this year I mean some day. Similar to some of your statements. Just post things you do not have to explain and can back up.
smile.gif

Do you ever comment on the actual thread, as it seems you prefer to attack the other posters if you disagree with them?

Do you ever comment on the actual thread, as it seems you prefer to attack the other posters if you disagree with them?

How was it an "attack" on another poster (you)?

I simply quoted you contradicting yourself in the space of 2 consecutive posts.

Only someone who feels the need to be defensive would call the quoting of their own words an "attack".

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
In my opinion,

What I find interesting is that Castrol is so popular, when it was they who started the whole "Group III revolution". LM's popularity in Germany doesn't surprise me at all. Germans tend to buy German stuff (and I think that's a GOOD thing!
thumbsup2.gif
)

In my opinion,
That was Castrol USA and Mobil USA in the fully synthetic definitions argument. Nothing to do with Castrol in Germany or the UK apart from a name. It did put me off Castrol in marketing terms, but I don't think the Germans could care less and it is a while ago.
Germany does have other oil companies, not just LM, as Fuchs are real good, BUT it appears that some of the others are now either part owned or in a partnership with the big 2 local companies.
Valvoline are still trying and I even saw my neighbour using Volvoline 15/40 conventional diesel oil for his RV, so winter must be over because it is over 20 years old and won't start if it gets too cold.

In my opinion,
That was Castrol USA and Mobil USA in the fully synthetic definitions argument. Nothing to do with Castrol in Germany or the UK apart from a name. It did put me off Castrol in marketing terms, but I don't think the Germans could care less and it is a while ago.

Yet it is Germany that is the only country in the world at this time that still does not allow group III oils to be classified as "fully synthetic".

I think it put a lot of people off Castrol, it certainly did with me.

I've never even thought of Fuchs (I know, I know...). What are your thoughts on their TITAN Supersyn LONGLIFE SAE 5W-40?

I always look at LL-01 oils
wink.gif

I don't always have the time to explain or post links etc, this is why I am starting my posts, "For your information". Lots of members say weird and wonderful things about oily matters without evidence of any kind. That does not mean there is no evidence, it just means they are too busy or it is too difficult to find. I can't even find out the Zinc limit for a C3 diesel oil in ppm terms at present and you would have thought that easy, but that does not mean one does not exist.
Many of the subjects under discussion here are very complex in technical terms and I do try to simplify things too much sometimes and like every poster I make a few omissions or the odd error on occasions, for example I was mentioning how many of the newer full synthetics did not contain Moly, but said "Best full synthetics" in such a way that some of the less well informed folks thought I meant every one, so I should have started SOME new full synthetics etc.
This is the Internet, so always DYOR (Do your own research) if you want the real facts.

In my opinion,

Yet it is Germany that is the only country in the world at this time that still does not allow group III oils to be classified as "fully synthetic".

In my opinion,
They are very correct as HC synthetic oils are not true full synthetics, the Germans need better oils for their high performance cars with their "Go green" long OCI's, so they don't want some clown selling poor quality HC synthetics as Synthoils. They are not about to change their oil classification system and sell more cars in the US than the US manufacturers, so they should be allowed to decide on their own oil groups, just as they do for the higher specs required for ACEA A5 & B5.
What I don't like is that the Brits copied the US and not the Germans, even though the Germans invented synthetics in the first place.
Mobil should have stuck to their own oil groups and called their full synthetics CLASSIC SYNTHETICS, just like classic Coke, but they gave up and agreed to the Castrol game plan. The new silly term that is now spreading is SYNTHETIC BLEND, although I have no idea which company started that one, so I call it DINO BLEND!

Last edited:
In my opinion,

In my opinion,
They are very correct as HC synthetic oils are not true full synthetics,

Sigh... you said that you don't think "the Germans could care less." What I was trying to point out to you is that they in fact care more than anyone else in the world. Got it?

I think a big Rival to Mobil 1 would be skyship. Anyone else think that's the case?

In my opinion,
It's too long ago for them to be concerned and it did not get in the press much. The Germans are not interested in any US standards and don't blame Castrol, even though it was their fault. What interests them is just the quality and cost, just like any other product, although they do read surveys, but at present the surveys and tests don't include engine oils.
You can only buy about half the Mobil range in the shops or dealers, the rest has to be imported from Poland at present from Fleabay dealers. Castrol have their full product range in country. The name of the game seems to be import and postal fees vs more expensive German storage requirements and Mobil are only competing for the cheaper bulk oil deals or a few basic shop lines, unless you think 90 Euros for 4 ltrs makes sense they are too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back