Any rival to Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last part is not correct, as Castrol do not do loss making contracts for German OEM's. They do put some bids in as does Fuchs, but Mobil just keep offering to supply oil at a lower price. In technical terms Fuchs and Castrol win the hydraulic fluid contracts from ZF, simply because Mobil can't produce a good enough mix. The auto companies are much more interested in price than the gearbox folks, as it makes almost no difference which major brand oil they use within their warranty period, but the gearbox fluid game is different as it sure does make a difference, mostly because they are using very thin fluids, so the add pack has to be very good and they just pick the best fluid from the 4 companies that put a bid in (Castrol, Mobil, Shell and Fuchs at present). If the gearbox performs well then a much longer warranty can be offered to bus or truck companies, so there is more R&D done in relation to hydraulic fluids or box oils than engine oils for new OEM contracts.

Originally Posted By: skyship
The last part is not correct, as Castrol do not do loss making contracts for German OEM's.

And I'm sure you have access to Castrol's finances to make this statement right? Or are you just shooting from the hip again?

Quote:
They do put some bids in as does Fuchs, but Mobil just keep offering to supply oil at a lower price.

Proof? Come on Billy the Kid.....

Quote:
In technical terms Fuchs and Castrol win the hydraulic fluid contracts from ZF, simply because Mobil can't produce a good enough mix.

LMAO!!! I'm sure you have evidence of this too right???

Quote:
The auto companies are much more interested in price than the gearbox folks, as it makes almost no difference which major brand oil they use within their warranty period, but the gearbox fluid game is different as it sure does make a difference, mostly because they are using very thin fluids, so the add pack has to be very good and they just pick the best fluid from the 4 companies that put a bid in (Castrol, Mobil, Shell and Fuchs at present). If the gearbox performs well then a much longer warranty can be offered to bus or truck companies, so there is more R&D done in relation to hydraulic fluids or box oils than engine oils for new OEM contracts.

Man, you need an Infomercial! Are you really the Sham-WOW guy?

Hi,
skyship - this from you:

The last part is not correct, as Castrol do not do loss making contracts for German OEM's. They do put some bids in as does Fuchs, but Mobil just keep offering to supply oil at a lower price. In technical terms Fuchs and Castrol win the hydraulic fluid contracts from ZF, simply because Mobil can't produce a good enough mix. The auto companies are much more interested in price than the gearbox folks, as it makes almost no difference which major brand oil they use within their warranty period, but the gearbox fluid game is different as it sure does make a difference, mostly because they are using very thin fluids, so the add pack has to be very good and they just pick the best fluid from the 4 companies that put a bid in (Castrol, Mobil, Shell and Fuchs at present). If the gearbox performs well then a much longer warranty can be offered to bus or truck companies, so there is more R&D done in relation to hydraulic fluids or box oils than engine oils for new OEM contracts.

Please substantiate what you Post or may I respectfully suggest that you cease Posting!!!!!

I have a lot of experience with ZF for instance having visited Friedrichshafen many times, and with lubricant testing of engine lubricant for Oil Companies and engine Manufacturers - I can assure you that your statements are less than factual!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The Germans demand the best possible performance from an oil due to hard driving and very long OCI's, they also make more high performance cars than any other country. The number one engine oil company for private sales is Liqui Moly but Castrol are only just behind and Mobil are way back at around 5%.
The reason why LM is ahead is just that they make very good oils BUT are cheaper than Castrol. In technical terms Castrol are some way ahead of any other company, which is why they don't get as many OEM contracts as Mobil, because they don't need the advertising that results from such loss making contracts. Shell are about on a par with Mobil.
In purely technical terms I would say Castrol is no 1, Shell and Mobil no 2, BUT with Liqui Moly and Fuchs almost equal, although in reality it does not make a big difference in engine oil performance terms.

This post makes absolutely zero sense.
crazy2.gif

1. The German (auto makers, not skyship) demand the best possible performance. And they ALL use one of the major oil brands for initial and service fills. The most common being a Mobil 1 product followed by BP/Castrol products. Not one of them uses Liqui-Moly.

2. Liqui-Moly is possibly (I've never seen any proof presented by Captain Skyship of this claim) more popular in the aftermarket due to price and the fact that it is German. Patriotic appeal here. That doesn't in any way mean it is better, or even as good as what the factory and manufacturers use.

3. Technical terms Castrol is way ahead how? In producing vague data-less product data sheets that are so obscure that you have no real idea as to how the product is going to perform? If that's way ahead, well..... And if they WERE better than Mobil, they'd get more OEM contracts. Your point here is completely insane. Loss making? Right, the most profitable oil company in history specializes in "loss making contracts". Do you hear yourself???

4. Your classification of "purely technical terms" is pulled out of your "purely technical" posterior. This is nothing but a fluff/opinion piece masquerading as factual diatribe.

Where did I say LM do OEM contracts, as they don't, they are no 1 in private sales in Germany only.
I think there is a chance Castrol might get the lead back due to price reductions, as they are only just behind.
Loss making contracts that produce good marketing spin off in press releases and new web site sections are very common, it just depends on what the marketing folks want to do and the budget.
We are all entitled to an opinion and I think Castrol is better in engine oil terms than Mobil, although Fuchs are possibly equal in hydraulic fluid terms.
If you want to interpret my posts as factual diatribe that is a personal decision, it won't effect the way I comment.

Liqui Moly top in 2012 article link:
LM top brand in 2012 in Germany.

They do seem to be expanding as their turnover increased 17% in 2012 to 400 million Euros, although that is partly because they are exporting to 110 different countries.

Last edited:

Where did I say LM do OEM contracts, as they don't, they are no 1 in private sales in Germany only.

You've never posted evidence that they are no. 1 in private sales though, you just continue to claim it. CONSTANTLY.

Quote:

We are all entitled to an opinion and I think Castrol is better in engine oil terms than Mobil, although Fuchs are possibly equal in hydraulic fluid terms.
If you want to interpret my posts as factual diatribe that is a personal decision, it won't effect the way I comment.

It isn't my "interpretation" of your posts that is the issue here, it is the manner in which you post. You make baseless claims and post them in a manner in which indicates that they aren't your opinion, but rather "facts". You then never post anything to back-up your claims, instead, you just jump into another thread and post a variation of the same tripe all over again.

Quote:

That link says they were VOTED the top lubricant manufacturer by the READERS of "Auto Zeitung", of which there are about 30,000 according to the 2nd page.

That's like me saying that Ford is the best selling brand in North America and then posting a link to Readers Digest where it was voted the top brand by its audience. One does not equal the other!

There should be a pie chart of total private oil sales in the previous article, just look in Google. I will take a look for it on Tuesday as it was on their web site before they updated it with the 2013 article. (Their press archive won't load at present)
I don't understand the new Aral entry as they should be listed with BP who are their major share holder. One other surprise is they have taken over Meguin oils in Germany.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Where does it say in this publication that...
The number one engine oil company for private sales is Liqui Moly

?

I posted the wrong article, but this is the press release from 2011, which is when they overtook Castrol:
Liqui Moly vor Castrol

Der Ulmer Schmierstoffhersteller Liqui Moly war im vergangenen Jahr in Deutschland erstmals Marktführer bei Motorölen - vor Castrol. Dies ergab eine GfK-Untersuchung der Marktanteile von Januar bis Oktober 2011. Liqui Moly erreichte 30 Prozent, Castrol 28 Prozent.
Geschäftsführer Ernst Prost, durch Auftritte in den Fernseh-Werbespots von Liqui Moly weit bekannt, nannte das jetzt erreichte Ergebnis ein "großes Ziel, für uns ist das eine Sensation". Die Marktführerschaft rundet ein für Liqui Moly ohnehin erfolgreiches Jahr ab: Der Umsatz stieg 2011 um 19 Prozent auf 343 Millionen Euro. Die Zahl der Mitarbeiter soll von derzeit 566 im Verlauf des Jahres 2012 auf bis zu 600 ansteigen

Google translation:
The Ulm lubricant manufacturer Liqui Moly was last year for the first time in Germany the market leader in engine oils - Castrol before. This resulted in a GfK survey of market share from January to October 2011th Liqui Moly reached 30 percent, Castrol percent of 28th

2% is not much of a lead and I would guess Castrol might get it back if they cut their prices.

Last edited:
oh you mean the one where LM SELF REPORTS they have the highest marketshare in "aftermarket oil"

what does that mean? oil you buy at the autoparts place?

hardly 1# seller in oil.. and hardly compelling evidence since its reported by the marketing of LM.

Get a good marketing person with good keywords you can make anything seem true.

but we are off on a another tangent now.

Last edited:
This is the article you are looking for (and it's even in English!):

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/2012/02/02/2011-german-market-leader-in-motor-oil/

Originally Posted By: Liqui-Moly

Liqui-Moly reached an important milestone at the end of last year, for the first time in the history of the company, Liqui-Moly was the motor oil brand with the strongest sales in its domestic market of Germany. With a 29.9 percent aftermarket share, it displaced its long time rival Castrol to second place. “We have been pursuing this important goal for decades. This is a sensation for us”, the managing shareholder Ernst Prost was pleased to state. This success is crowned by a sales growth for 2011 of 19 percent to €343 million.

Ernst Prost, Managing Director of Liqui-Moly.
Only a few months ago, the readers of two major German automotive magazines chose Liqui-Moly as their most popular oil brand. Ernst Prost always believed that this popularity would also be expressed in sales, and that Liqui-Moly would one day control the largest share of motor oil sales in Germany. “My team and I always had our eye on this goal. But now that we’ve achieved it, it seems unbelievable. Our company, which is tiny in comparison to the oil multinationals, is at the forefront in Germany. I’m flabbergasted!”.

Despite the growth, Liqui-Moly is determined to continue exclusive production in Germany in order to ensure the best possible quality.

And the pie chart:

LM_2011_GfK_4c.jpg

So we've managed to prove that ONE of the things you've claimed is actually true! (it would have helped if you had posted this a long time ago BTW.....)

Now, on to the other several hundred.... Do you have links for those claims too?

Originally Posted By: Rand
oh you mean the one where LM SELF REPORTS they have the highest marketshare in "aftermarket oil"

what does that mean? oil you buy at the autoparts place?

hardly 1# seller in oil.. and hardly compelling evidence since its reported by the marketing of LM.

Get a good marketing person with good keywords you can make anything seem true.

but we are off on a another tangent now.

But technically, that's what he's claimed. He's stated that it is the most popular aftermarket oil in Germany. So for DIY's and independents, for people buying oil at the store, it is currently the most popular choice.

That doesn't mean that overall it is the most used oil in Germany. Each German marque would used their own brand of oil. For BMW, that's a Castrol-sourced product, for Porsche and Mercedes, they are Mobil-sourced products.

It's a bit like AMSOIL's "first in synthetics" claim. While it is true they were the first with an API-approved synthetic lubricant, they were far from the first manufacturer of synthetic oil. As you've noted, there's always some good marketing spin in play
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
OVERKILL, You should try Mobil 1 also.

LOL! I have plenty of experience with M1. I'm currently using their 0w-40 in my M5
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
I am saying that I DO Prefer Mobil 1 over AMSOIL. I use Mobil 1. I dont use AMSOIL.

Quote:
I first used Mobil 1 back in 2007 in a 2000 Dodge Durango 360. Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 is what I used.

Quote:
Today, I think I would use LiquiMoly LongLife 0w-30 in that Durangos 360.

This forum does not have a one sentence per post limit. Feel free to type all your sentences in one post.
smile.gif

In the few years I have been a member here I have never seen Doug Hillary post comments like that before. Looks like skunkship has finally lied so much that the big guns are taking notice,and firing back.
I feel a sense of relief knowing sunkship's days are numbered here,finally.

To get back on topic I'm confident that Mobil can produce the worlds best gearbox lube,and produce it for less than anyone else on the planet,so that post from sunkship is utter absurdity(as usual).
As far as liqui-moly goes I like their products. I have yet to use anything of theirs that didn't perform as advertised and I would buy any and all of their products again.
Getting back to Mobil their only real competition is sopus as far as volume and production capability but their drawback is that there are so many brands under their umbrella,whereas Mobil only has themselves to market.
Sopus is kinda buggered in that department since they have the pennzoil synthetic line the the Quaker state brand and have to market them as different entities,but can't market one as better than the other or they lose market share,since they can't tier the lines against each other(pmco's)
It's alot like gm vs chev in a way. The trucks are basically the same yet they have to figure out a way to make each brand its own entity.
From my observations it seems to me they market the castrol line as the tops in the anti wear department and they focus pennzoil as the tops in cleaning ability.
Mobil doesn't have this problem. They have their tiers,each tier has different add packs. For example M1 and M1 EP are more traditional in their adds with moly and zddp then their next lowest tier has the sodium/titanium for additives.
Not to mention the hm varieties.
If sopus would drop a line and focus 100% on the other they might gain some ground however who says the old sludge stories don't return and guys who we buying Quaker state won't use pennzoil then they move to mobil(completely theoretical situation)
And when people think synthetic Mobil naturally comes to mind first. And the fact that so many oem's have it stamped on the oil cap most sheeple will just assume its best before doing any research.
They are the big dog in this fight. It's their market to do with as they please as far as I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back