Another hobby for the birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, when I was growing up my mother used to have a number of bird feeders, sunflower seed, thistle in a sock etc. Over the years I got accustomed to having a little crowd outside in the back yard at least some time during the day. Blue Jays, junkoes, titmouse (mice), chickadee, goldfinch, starlings, sparrow, nothing elaborate, except maybe a bluebird or Baltimore Oriole, hummingbird, downy woodpecker etc.

Recently I decided to put up a feeder on a pole in the notched out lower section of an evergreen I cut back, and the birds must have heard about me, because they have been flocking to it in this bad weather.

It is funny certain birds have personality; the piliated woodpecker (not a downy) sits on the feeder and hogs the feeding holes, while the chickadees grab a seed and fly away allowing others to take a turn. If I decide to go to my car, the chickadees scold me with pronounced irritation. They seem to be quite bold; i can watch them from about 6 feet away, and they do not flee. It can be very relaxing taking a few minutes to watch the activity.

A friend of mine mentioned that in very cold weather, it is mindboggling how much energy a small bird has to consume just to keep warm. I believe dehydration is also an issue; I might look into a bird bath heater so they have something to drink.

If you want to entertain the kids or maybe get a crowd of low maintenance pets, I highly suggest putting up a feeder. You'll won't have to buy much, will never end up flushing any of them down the toilet, and they pretty much keep the poop outside.

-T

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I might look into a bird bath heater so they have something to drink.

-T

I have a heated bird bath; it attracts more attention than the bird feeders. I even get huge flocks of Robins in the dead of winter. I highly recommend getting one!

I need the opposite: parrot repellent. We've had quite the invasion. I don't know if they're feral or some sort of Mexican parrot, but they sure are noisy. They have disagreements with the crows that are quite cacophonous.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I need the opposite: parrot repellent. We've had quite the invasion. I don't know if they're feral or some sort of Mexican parrot, but they sure are noisy. They have disagreements with the crows that are quite cacophonous.

I know how loud they are separately. I can only imagine how noisy they are together when they're good and irritated!

It's great feeding and watching the birds....we have a large feeder, two smaller ones and the double-sock for thistle. I filled our large feeder Saturday with a twenty pound bag and it is near empty now due to the starlings throwing the seed on the ground....all of the birds eat from the ground as well though so everyone gets something to eat. Most of our flocks are so used to us now that they'll patiently wait while we fill the feeders and the finches are actually starting to chirp at me as I approach....pretty awesome!

We typically go through 30 lbs of bird food, 10 lbs of thistle seed, and 50lbs of deer corn a month plus a twelve pack of suet cakes for the woodpeckers.

My wife is a photographer and has thousands of wildlife pictures from our property and a huge collection of just bird photos.

I throw a coffee can full of food on the driveway every morning sice the cats like to watch the birds from the patio doors.....it's their version of television I suppose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back