Saving the Leaves For Springtime

They say if you don't rake leaves in the fall, that the leaves on the lawn will make good habitat for things like moths that become butterflies, and for birds to get food from insects. My lawn isn't very big but I have a lot of trees here and for years I've raked all leaves before winter sets in.

Do you think I should save the leaves until spring for the benefit of insects and birds?
I feed the birds here most of the year.

I might save them until spring and then just mow the lawn so they will feed the grass.
I've always liked raking because it's another way I can get exercise besides just brisk walking all the time.

Moths don't become butterflies. Birds get plenty of bugs and then crap on your cars. Better to rake up the leaves.

"The butterfly or moth lays eggs, caterpillars are born, and they then pupate and turn into a butterfly or moth."

I might save them until spring and then just mow the lawn so they will feed the grass.
I've always liked raking because it's another way I can get exercise besides just brisk walking all the time.

I think it's better for the lawn to get the leaves off the lawn in fall instead of leaving them there all winter.

I have a discharge block and mulching blades on my mower. I use it year round and and keep mowing until all the leaves have fallen. I usually mow my last time for the year sometime in December depending on the weather. The mulched leaves do the yard good.

I used to be "obsessed" with getting rid of those d@#$ leaves. 2 fall/winters ago I said Pffffffftttt on it. You know what? At least 98% of those d@#$ leaves went somewhere else. I only use the rake now to get the leaves away from the house inset corners. Mower gets the rest in spring. 😁
😁 😁

If you don't want to rake then mulch them up as mentioned above. Will break down fast, look nicer and not track in the house so much. When I had a big garden, I would pile them up in the garden and till then up to help improve the soil.

If you want a nice lawn, don't allow the leaves to cover your lawn all winter. Mulch them with a mulching mower into very small pieces. The remains will break down quickly and nourish your lawn. I wouldn't worry about nature's creatures, they have been and will survive fine without your help.

Leaves stain the driveway, sidewalk, and make the deck unusable. Leaves left in the yard is an invitation to field mice. The next thing you know you have some in the house. A yard free of debris/leaves doesn’t attract rodents, allows the grass to get sun light in the winter, (stays green), and less junk tracked into the house by the grandkids. Just my opinion.

Do you like ticks? Leaving leaves around is how you get ticks.

I rake/ mulch just before the ground freezes, to "tack down" the leaves. Many do it way too early and get leaves blowing in from the woods, neighbor yard etc.

I rake. I have a 4x8 HF trailer with 2 foot sides and I will take 5 trips or more of debris—can’t use a bagger mower, it will fill up once a minute.

Have a low lying near-swamp that I’m trying to fill in.

Install mulching blades on your mower and you’ll be feeding your lawn, ( mulched leaves decay a lot faster ) getting exercise, and getting rid of the leaves at the same time.

I have a Greenworks rechargeable mower with a mulch attachment that blocks the exits.
It will also bag leaves or grass, and side shoot it if I choose.
All with the same blade.

When I had a big garden, I would pile them up in the garden and till then up to help improve the soil.

We used to do that in NH also. We had a red Troy Bilt tiller.
My folks were avid gardeners.

Reactions: wlk
Do you like ticks?

No, not particularly.
I already raked a few times and hauled leaves away in a big tarp to put on the side of the street for the city leave vacuum truck to get.
I'll probably mulch or just mow the rest of the leaves before winter.
I don't want to be tracking leaves into the house when they stick to my shoes.

Back