Excited for the Hummingbirds to return

Yes I am an old man that loves feeding birds! My faves are Baltimore Orioles and the hummers. I have my feeders out but haven't seen any yet. Any others out there?
I get hummingbirds thanks to my proximity to Golden Gate park. They seem to love Eucalyptus trees and those are everywhere.

My next door neighbor has a few feeders. We keep getting this cardinal pecking at our windows.

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_172131.jpg
    IMG_20210406_172131.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 5
We already have the hummers back, so they might be a week or two early...

I always wished I could get some of them to land on my hand while feeding. Other people have actually been able to get them to enter an open window into their home and land on their hands while being fed.

There are Flycatchers , Red Winged Blackbirds and Robins . No Hummingbirds as of now . Expecting Catbirds before long . Red Winged Blackbirds were 1st to arrive . Usually Robins are the earliest .

A humming bird nest was found in a tree on the right of way of the the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion project terminating at Burnaby, BC. The locals want the project stopped for 4 months until the nesting season is over. They might get their way. :oops:

My hummingbirds have been feeding for a week.

My neighbor must have 100 of them, i have probably 25 but i think they are hers that migrate.

She feeds them 1 cup of sugar/gallon of water. They are thriving and happy but they still fight and argue.

She has her feeders all around a cattle panel that is bent into an arch. Then she has wires and clothes lines in various places for them to perch. They love to perch and find someone to argue with.

She told me that she started with the 'hummingbird mixes' but then she experimented with her formula and they did not want the mixes anymore..

I only use her formula.. alot cheaper and easier.

We have a pair of Finches that come nest in my dish every year and they have been busy rebuilding it. What is weird this year is a pair of robins have made a nest on top of where the finches nest was so the finches made a side door into their nest. I had no idea they would nest that close to each other.

My hummingbirds have been feeding for a week.

My neighbor must have 100 of them, i have probably 25 but i think they are hers that migrate.

She feeds them 1 cup of sugar/gallon of water. They are thriving and happy but they still fight and argue.

She has her feeders all around a cattle panel that is bent into an arch. Then she has wires and clothes lines in various places for them to perch. They love to perch and find someone to argue with.

She told me that she started with the 'hummingbird mixes' but then she experimented with her formula and they did not want the mixes anymore..

I only use her formula.. alot cheaper and easier.
That seems really weak. It is usually 4 parts water to 1 part sugar.

Back