Excited for the Hummingbirds to return

I haven’t seen any bluebirds yet. Of course, it froze fairly hard just a few days ago.

They have been here for awhile now. I enjoy sitting on the back patio and watching them feed. Always have two feeders out and they hit them pretty hard this time of year.

This is backwards folks, this is the time of year to put feeders away and allow birds you were feeding all winter to go back to hunting for food the natural way with berries that area coming out etc.... Better to leave out some material for the nest building to go quicker like straw or string. Not to mention the emerging squirrel population you are now supporting.

CB57EBCC-9B0C-4D9E-946F-D04A47CC246A.jpg
DD3DFC97-ECE0-499A-BD07-BB8DF2EE9002.jpg

This is backwards folks, this is the time of year to put feeders away and allow birds you were feeding all winter to go back to hunting for food the natural way with berries that area coming out etc.... Better to leave out some material for the nest building to go quicker like straw or string. Not to mention the emerging squirrel population you are now supporting.
Not the case with humming birds.

Yes I am an old man that loves feeding birds! My faves are Baltimore Orioles and the hummers. I have my feeders out but haven't seen any yet. Any others out there?

Here in FL they are buzzing around my flowers.

I try and get a photo of them but they are very fast and fly away.

Saw the first hummingbird of the year at the feeder yesterday. I can't wait for them to show up in force.

I was working in my garage a week ago with the door open and a hummingbird flew just inside, hovered a few seconds and flew back out. Feeders are out. (y)

For the last 30 years they have shown up here in West Central Minnesota on Mothers Day, sometimes we see a scout or two a week earlier. At the peak we have 8 feeders out and fill them every 2 - 3 days. Lots of Baltimore Orioles and Orchard Orioles as well.

just put out my feeders today ..i usually start to see them by the end of April , first part of May I'm in south western Pa

thats correct I wandered off topic as did many other replies, I meant for traditional bird seeding you want to slow down or stop over summer months so birds can get their natural nutrition... thanks for correction make all the sugar water you want!
Not the case with humming birds.

thats correct I wandered off topic as did many other replies, I meant for traditional bird seeding you want to slow down or stop over summer months so birds can get their natural nutrition... thanks for correction make all the sugar water you want!
No problem, i get what you are saying though.

My feeders are in the front( in the sun) and the hummingbirds seem to like them. I'm changing the nectar out about every 2 days so it does not ferment. Is that too often? Pic from last year.
IMG_20200826_164546800.jpg

Last edited:
Back