Just chilling watching my birds....

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by Ws6
I have a river in my back yard and bald eagles fly above it. I enjoy them!
[Linked Image]

That would be awesome.

The river is about 140m from my deck, and in the winter I can see them through the trees flying above it. I love watching t hem. Before I moved here, I'd never seen a bald eagle in the wild.

We spotted this while driving on a back road near a large river . Wonderful surprise .

DSCF7043.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
[Linked Image]

That would be awesome.

I live in an area near a hot spot for eagles. They are seen regularly. During the winter I shot a sick possum. I threw it out on the edge of my yard for the buzzards to enjoy. A large Bald Eagle settled on it and had a feast. The buzzards pretty much got bone.

Originally Posted by odie
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6
[Linked Image]

That would be awesome.

The river is about 140m from my deck, and in the winter I can see them through the trees flying above it. I love watching t hem. Before I moved here, I'd never seen a bald eagle in the wild.

We spotted this while driving on a back road near a large river . Wonderful surprise .

If you're from Alaska the scenery surrounding the Bald Eagle isn't always as majestic.
wink.gif

[Linked Image from adn.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6
[Linked Image]

That would be awesome.

Beautiful! That could be my neighborhood for how it looks.

Anyone know what bird this is ? It was in the woods a few years back . Have a few bird books and not to be found .

That is beautiful. Has me stumped

I live pretty secluded and the trees are dense.

I average a full woodpecker suet cake/day and around 1-2lb of black oil sunflower/day.

I have around 10 woodpeckers, mostly small but two big redheads visit often.

I have lots of cardinals, bluejays, doves, finches,timouses, chickadees. A Rose Breasted Grosbeak showed up this week. All seem to favor the Pennington Black oil with vitamins the best.

Also i have two different kinds of bluebirds..they hunt insects i guess.

Hummingbirds have shown up. I have a couple of the Dollar Tree specials out but they prefer the glass ones from Aldi. I check them once a week or so and they are usually full of ants.

I make my own nectar, 1 cup of Sugar to 3 cups of water in a gallon jug. I use hot water from the spigot and swirl it around and the next day its at room temperature and good to go. The hummingbirds love it.

I also have a few large owls that sometimes hunt the feeders during summer.. and earlier this year i had some hawks that got a few from the feeder area...they left.

I have nests in the eves of my house, also two nests in window planters and i have found a few nests in old watering cans from last year. My next project is to find more nesting spots for them.. perhaps more bird houses.

Anyone know what bird this is ? It was in the woods a few years back . Have a few bird books and not to be found .

Wife thinks it is a type of Finch.

Plenty of birds in my backyard, but this time of the year I really enjoy feeding the hummingbirds.

Originally Posted by Ws6
[Linked Image]

That is a SWEET back yard!

Interesting that we have the same birds as the OP, The blue birds are back, have some houses out for them but the swallows are trying to chase them away. The hawks threatening them all, The humming birds are late. BTW ever seen a hummer moth? We had one briefly a couple years ago.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Ws6
[Linked Image]

That is a SWEET back yard!

Thank-you, it increased the cost of the land significantly, and I honestly don't use the creek that much. I kindof wish I had more land, less creek, honestly.

Moved my Son's room out to the other end of the house, and moved the "office" into that, the room with the best view. Over the road is a creek and bush.
Australian Rosellas...usually more, and sulfur crested cockies.
[Linked Image]

Australian Magpie
[Linked Image]

Australian Currawong...people hate them, so I don't...one comes right up to my window if I'm late with the feed.
[Linked Image]

Sulfur Crested Cockatoo...hanging around...he partly talks, with "helloo" every now and then....often 10 to a dozen out the front...
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
In my backyard, the Junco's have finally left. What I get are:
1. Mostly Grackle
2. Some woodpeckers.
3 A large number of Cardnals.
4. A large number of Morning Doves.
5. Several large Canadian Goose. A mom with 6 kiddies. I was surprised that they are yellow and grows really quickly.
6. A mom duck with 11 little ducks and bunch of other adult ducks.

Last week a falcon/hawk nailed a top know pigeon literally in front of me, and bounced off the front door, before retiing to the shrubbery over the road to kill and eat...

Shannow - lots of cool birds in Australia. You have any Budgies where you're at, or they mainly in the North end of Oz? I've had a few male Budgies that talked quite well.

Originally Posted by Ws6
[Linked Image]

Nice! Never used to see them around here, but they're slowly becoming more popular.

Just saw one last Friday actually. I took a photo, but the quality is terrible.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by Ws6
[Linked Image]

Nice! Never used to see them around here, but they're slowly becoming more popular.

Just saw one last Friday actually. I took a photo, but the quality is terrible.

Same. They look like smudgy black and white blobs on my potato.

We have acorn woodpeckers, ravens that I swear are 2 feet tall and a lot of Stellar's Jays in my mountain community. I have the jays trained. They must be able to tell the time. Every morning about 8 AM I put a few peanuts out on the rear deck railing. Sometimes they swoop down and grab them before I am even back in the house and closed the door. They are very smart birds and fun to watch.

Pet Blue Jay 1.jpg

Pet Blue Jay 2.jpg

Back