After 1,800 miles my motor oil is black (gasoline engine)

My 2006 Jeeps wrangler with the 4.0 I6 gas engine has black motor oil after 1,800 miles. It’s black black like diesel oil. Its oriellys 10w-30 synthetic high mileage.

The oil level isn’t rising on the dipstick but it’s black now. Last time I checked it was after a few miles when I changed the oil in it. I think it’s burning rich and maybe soot loading the oil but idk. I don’t rly want to send in a sample quite yet.

It was changed around 3 months ago. I drive and operate in some pretty dusty conditions.

My 2006 Jeeps wrangler with the 4.0 I6 gas engine has black motor oil after 1,800 miles. It’s black black like diesel oil. Its oriellys 10w-30 synthetic high mileage.

The oil level isn’t rising on the dipstick but it’s black now. Last time I checked it was after a few miles when I changed the oil in it. I think it’s burning rich and maybe soot loading the oil but idk. I don’t rly want to send in a sample quite yet.

It was changed around 3 months ago. I drive and operate in some pretty dusty conditions.
1) Are you the Original Owner
2) How many miles are on this Vehicle
3) What oil are you using and what are your OCI's like
4) Have you changed the PCV
5) How does the Air Filter look

My ranger would turn most black within 2000 miles even hdeo oils.
my 2007 focus duratech oil looked like new when dumping it at 5000 miles.

It has 156k miles and change. I bought it used at 79k miles. I change every 3k miles with some exceptions where I pushed it to ~3,500 miles. Air filter hasn’t been changed in a year or so and I now it’s due for a change. For the most part I use 10w-30 high mileage and a few 10w-40 high mileage oil. Haven’t checked the pcv yet.

It has 156k miles and change. I bought it used at 79k miles. I change every 3k miles with some exceptions where I pushed it to ~3,500 miles. Air filter hasn’t been changed in a year or so and I now it’s due for a change. For the most part I use 10w-30 high mileage and a few 10w-40 high mileage oil. Haven’t checked the pcv yet.

Redhawk454, this is not your fault since you bought the car when it had 79,000 miles on it. We do not know a few things, meaning what oil was used and what were the OCI's like with the previous owner.

Check the PCV, since it could be slightly clogged and it could be the original PCV!

I can recall back in the day when my neighbors 1977 Pontiac Trans Am had the same issue 2 a certain extent, but it was using oil, the PCV was clogged up, put a new 1 on and everything was fine later on, meaning no more black oil.

Also, make sure you check the PCV hoses 2 see that they are not clogged up.

I think you have a PCV Issue, from what you posted about the oil turning black in 1800 miles, that is what I am seeing!

Good Luck

@Redhawk454 I don’t know that you have an issue if it’s not using any oil. I’ve had several vehicles in my life and they have all darkened oil in different ways.

Has the color changed on recent changes?

Have you changed brands in the last few changes?

Have you cut a filter open on a recent change to see if you have any debris?

Just my $0.02

Oil color doesn't necessarily mean anything bad is happening. Some oils just get darker quicker than others.

Get an oil analysis done if you are worried and maybe try switching to another brand.

Oil color doesn't necessarily mean anything bad is happening. Some oils just get darker quicker than others.

Get an oil analysis done if you are worried and maybe try switching to another brand.
After 1800 Miles the Op's oil should not be Black, what is a UOA going 2 show?

The oil is just doing its job. I would be more concerned if it were crystal clear after 1800 miles.

The oil is just doing its job. I would be more concerned if it were crystal clear after 1800 miles.

The thing is is that I’ve checked it close to 3k miles and the oil is usually a darker brown but not black

The only thing I question (why it’s happening) is because you have owned it for roughly half the miles that’s now currently on it. That’s a lot of time and mikes to establish your routine with oil changes, and clean up the engine. I don’t think there’s anything really wrong here, but yet I don’t think it can really be said that the previous owner neglected it and NOW you‘re seeing things because of sludge from the previous owner neglect. IMO. It was purchased with 79k on it, it now has 156K...I would think you would have seen something sooner if it was previously neglected, no?

I just bought a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee for my son. It had 101,000 miles on it - asked the guy how often he changed the oil - he said every 6,000 using synthetic. First thing I did was change the oil (can’t remember what off the shelf brand I used), but within 500 miles the oil looked downright BLACK. I thought...uh oh...don’t think this guy changed the oil every 6,000 miles ”using synthetic”. But I’m not exactly worried either. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Back