My worst oil change ever

Drained the oil…
Removed the filter…
Opened a new jug of oil, to put some on the filter gasket…
Installed the new filter…
While doing that, knocked over the jug of new oil with my foot…
Worse,
Don’t have any other jugs of oil to put in the engine, or another car to go get some…

Painful lesson learned to put the cap back on jugs of oil, unless pouring…

Worst oil change story....bought a $17 mobil 1 ep filtet, opened it up and was a $3 fram
I bought 2 gallons of supertech concentrate coolant. Went to use them the next weekend, one was sealed, the other had the lock tab busted off the cap and it had been refilled with pure water and returned. I also found a couple of Fram filters in Mobil 1 filter boxes at walmart.

I bought 2 gallons of supertech concentrate coolant. Went to use them the next weekend, one was sealed, the other had the lock tab busted off the cap and it had been refilled with pure water and returned. I also found a couple of Fram filters in Mobil 1 filter boxes at walmart.
Well that's what self check brings to Walmart wait until the go to self returns!

2008 Jeep Wrangler 3.8
Miles 193,747
Miles on oil 5,936.5

Out: Dealer bulk 5w20 (Oil pan gasket replaced under warranty.), Fram TG3614
In: Havoline Pro DS Long Life Synthetic 5w30, Fram Ultra XG3614

Still running like new, but for sale. :(

You have lived a charmed life. Worst oil change might include being banned from the craft shop.

Other Worst oil changes must include one or more of the following:
Oil squirting out past catch pan.
Dropping oil filter into catch pan
Oil filter dropped and missing catch pan altogether
Forgetting to put oil pan bolt back into oil pan and watching fresh oil go somewhere.

There's probably more things I have done than this, but I don't remember anymore.

Drain plug was stuck on an 855 Cummins, so I used air impact.
Barely rattled and shot into Narnia.

5 gallon pail... sump held 10 or 11 gallons.

Made a bit of a mess.

Discovered this when looking for screen backed frams. Noticed the one I picked looked like it had been opened at least several times. Had a supertech filter in it, and so did the next one and next one, I just grabbed the furthest one back and it was what it was supposed to be.

Discovered this when looking for screen backed frams. Noticed the one I picked looked like it had been opened at least several times. Had a supertech filter in it, and so did the next one and next one, I just grabbed the furthest one back and it was what it was supposed to be.
I remember seeing the same thing years ago when Walmart sold the Bosch filters in the see through box. I saw many orange Fram filters inside of those on the shelf.

(Amongst numerous "over-torqued" drain plugs I have experienced)

Back in 2021, my friend's brand new Subaru Forrester. Got his first oil change for "free" from the dealer (of purchase).

For his second oil change (at my house), we tried over 2 hours to loosen the drain plug (with various methods) and just couldn't get it loose.

Luckily, he has a lift / car maintenance bay at his work and they welded a bar to the drain plug to get it loose. He changed the plug to Fumoto.

We suspected a newbie grabbed an airgun used to torque wheels and just reused it for the drain plug. Subaru of America gave my friend a $500 coupon just in case the oil pan was damaged (and needed to be replaced).

My worst really wasn't too bad. I had to do the old "drove a large screwdriver through the filter" trick to get the filter off my parent's '86 Econoline conversion van back in the day.

Brand new 2003 Dodge Ram Hemi Single cab I bought had its first oil change at a new closer dealership. Waited 2-3hrs only for them to tell me they left the hood open and closed the garage door and damaged my truck hood and grill. They made me pay for the oil change but I made them pay for a new SRT-10 Ram hood from the factory line. This was the exact reason I went to changing my own oil.

You have lived a charmed life. Worst oil change might include being banned from the craft shop.

Other Worst oil changes must include one or more of the following:
Oil squirting out past catch pan.
Dropping oil filter into catch pan
Oil filter dropped and missing catch pan altogether
Forgetting to put oil pan bolt back into oil pan and watching fresh oil go somewhere.

There's probably more things I have done than this, but I don't remember anymore.
I've done the ....forget to put the drain plug back in routine. Good times.

Back