Oil dipstick on my dirty engine Hemi charger after 500 miles of Valvoline Restore and Protect

O rlly?

I disagree to certain extent with that idea oil color doesn’t matter…

The following oil I bought off the shelf from a gas station 2 miles west of me looked that jacked up right out of the container. This oil was on PQIAs list of extremely bad oils… Interestingly the store I got it from is not in a poor income area… That gas station is in between 2 large and very high end nice neighborhoods… One neighborhood that is a gated community north of that gas station by a mile. The other non gated but very nice high end neighborhood to the south of it by 1.5 miles. Those people routinely stop in that store to buy gas, snacks etc etc.

Then for comparison I put Valvoline white bottle 5w30 to compare… . Every single oil I have ever run looks like that Valvoline prior to it being run in a vehicle. I know that are other oils that have a different new color in them like that one Liquimoly Molygen green oil and there are a few others. But not many.

Or if used oil looks a bit like chocolate milkshake.. You got a major, major problem there.

Used Diesel oil color certainly doesn’t matter because it’s jet black very, very quickly. Even used oil in a GDI motor gets dirty quite fast as well based upon what members on here have observed.

In port injection motors used oil color is a fair amount different and is worthy of paying attention to its color.

So the blanket statement that “ oil color doesn’t matter “ is patently not true in my strong opinion.

What type of motor it is run in matters…. A whole, whole lot.

Now if a decision to be made whether a oil is still serviceable… Then absolutely yes.. Oil color means absolutely nothing. Only a used oil analysis would give that answer.

*** Only caveat to that rule is the aforementioned oil looking like a milkshake in a port injection motor••••…. Which if the oil looks that bad… It’s been doing damage to that motor for awhile potentially.

By the way my calico cat approves of this message… :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpeg
    IMG_0464.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0463.jpeg
    IMG_0463.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
^^^ Your cat likes that oil bottle because it matches some of his face fur. Sure that dark "oil" isn't dark beer? ... has lots of bubbles in it. 😄

I disagree to certain extent with that idea oil color doesn’t matter…

The following oil I bought off the shelf from a gas station 2 miles west of me looked that jacked up right out of the container. This oil was on PQIAs list of extremely bad oils… Interestingly the store I got it from is not in a poor income area… That gas station is in between 2 large and very high end nice neighborhoods… One neighborhood that is a gated community north of that gas station by a mile. The other non gated but very nice high end neighborhood to the south of it by 1.5 miles. Those people routinely stop in that store to buy gas, snacks etc etc.

Then for comparison I put Valvoline white bottle 5w30 to compare… . Every single oil I have ever run looks like that Valvoline prior to it being run in a vehicle. I know that are other oils that have a different new color in them like that one Liquimoly Molygen green oil and there are a few others. But not many.

Or if used oil looks a bit like chocolate milkshake.. You got a major, major problem there.

Used Diesel oil color certainly doesn’t matter because it’s jet black very, very quickly. Even used oil in a GDI motor gets dirty quite fast as well based upon what members on here have observed.

In port injection motors used oil color is a fair amount different and is worthy of paying attention to its color.

So the blanket statement that “ oil color doesn’t matter “ is patently not true in my strong opinion.

What type of motor it is run in matters…. A whole, whole lot.

Now if a decision to be made whether a oil is still serviceable… Then absolutely yes.. Oil color means absolutely nothing. Only a used oil analysis would give that answer.

*** Only caveat to that rule is the aforementioned oil looking like a milkshake in a port injection motor••••…. Which if the oil looks that bad… It’s been doing damage to that motor for awhile potentially.

By the way my calico cat approves of this message… :LOL:
It can tell you an engine is dirty or clean. I put 25% EC30 in a GDI motor with 85k - after reading so much here - pulled a filter at only 1200 miles. The oil and filter looked like 1200 miles in a new motor - both clean - no black at all …

It can tell you an engine is dirty or clean. I put 25% EC30 in a GDI motor with 85k - after reading so much here - pulled a filter at only 1200 miles. The oil and filter looked like 1200 miles in a new motor - both clean - no black at all …
Would argue otherwise, it can suggest oxidation/fuel dilution but doesn't mean clean/dirty.

I too ran EC for 4500 total miles (at 25%) with Mobil EP over 2 filters in a 09 Accord with 200k miles. Vehicle was new to me but maintenance records showed 8k-10k OCI its full life with budget quick lube.

Both filters showed single specs of carbon every 3-4 pleats, only changed oil due to valve cover starting to leak. There was some build up under the valve cover, yet oil never really darkened.

Would argue otherwise, it can suggest oxidation/fuel dilution but doesn't mean clean/dirty.

I too ran EC for 4500 total miles (at 25%) with Mobil EP over 2 filters in a 09 Accord with 200k miles. Vehicle was new to me but maintenance records showed 8k-10k OCI its full life with budget quick lube.

Both filters showed single specs of carbon every 3-4 pleats, only changed oil due to valve cover starting to leak. There was some build up under the valve cover, yet oil never really darkened.
Bought my vehicle new - 70% of the miles are with Mobil 1 AP (70% PAO) run below OLM, Mobil 1 AFE, or QSFS also run below OLM … Nothing has oxidized - I just want to keep the pistons clean/rings free

Totally agree 4wd…

That is very true what you stated here.

Always good to see you on here. I hope that you had a good holiday season.

I'm in Georgia and found it a couple places. Also, can get on Amazon or valvoline
Yes, a couple of days after I posted this I found it at my local AutoZone. Where are the other brick and mortar places that you found it?

Back