Oil dipstick on my dirty engine Hemi charger after 500 miles of Valvoline Restore and Protect

So this car I got with a dropped valve seat. Ex cop car. Changed the heads and bad piston, wasn’t the cleanest, had some sludge and lots of deposits on the bad piston as well as the bottom of the others.

Decided to give the new valvoline oil a go (5w20) and this is what the oil on the dipstick looks like after about 500 miles.

Looks like it’s doing it’s job fairly well, or I’m about to lose a bearing lol.
IMG_2880.jpeg
IMG_2881.jpeg

i would probably change the filter at 1k miles then try another at 2.5k. if the oil is that dark and there were deposits as you said, the filter is probably loading heavily.

I'd say the oil is doing quite a bit of cleaning. Changing it tomorrow won't hurt. I'd drop it at about 1,000-1,200 miles along with the filter. Color supposedly doesn't mean much, but that's real nasty for only 500 miles.

So this car I got with a dropped valve seat. Ex cop car. Changed the heads and bad piston, wasn’t the cleanest, had some sludge and lots of deposits on the bad piston as well as the bottom of the others.

Decided to give the new valvoline oil a go (5w20) and this is what the oil on the dipstick looks like after about 500 miles.

Looks like it’s doing it’s job fairly well, or I’m about to lose a bearing lol.
View attachment 196824View attachment 196825
Change the filter, leave the oil for another 500.
That's some crazy cleaning you got there

can be found at auto zone atm. you can get a 5qt jug with a stp extended life filter for 37.99 or a airfilter for 44.99 IIRC.
Thanks BrendanC, I live in Georgia and I don't believe it's reached us here just yet. I checked last week at my local AZ but nada.

I had an 2006 Jaguar darken oil like this. I didn't do any internal engine work, but I figure the previous owner neglected the oil changes a bit. After about 3 shortened 2k-3k oil changes it cleaned up and didn't darken oil near as fast any more.

How dark was the oil when it was new? was it dark amber, or a lighter color?
Looked like any other oil. Light amber golden.
I had an 2006 Jaguar darken oil like this. I didn't do any internal engine work, but I figure the previous owner neglected the oil changes a bit. After about 3 shortened 2k-3k oil changes it cleaned up and didn't darken oil near as fast any more.
It honestly doesn’t look like the oil itself it’s dark, but the stuff suspended in it is.

It honestly doesn’t look like the oil itself it’s dark, but the stuff suspended in it is.
Yeah, technically that's what it would be. Mine was the same. I definitely felt better when it didn't look like it darkened after a couple hundreds miles following a change.

Back