ACDelco facing lawsuit over "made in USA" claims

It should be what it says on the packaging, just like food. If it's not made in the USA, then it shouldn't say it.

The problem is how much value inside a product is American or not.

Personally when I bought AC oil filters, the ones I looked out for were labelled as Made in the United Kingdom or Made in England.

Please forgive my ignorance of world geography. I somewhat grew up in Kansas and I know how many acres are in a square mile and the capital is Topeka. I almost made it to retirement age before google was invented. I also love Milwaukee tools.

You never bought anything that was labelled as Made in Hong Kong? Never saw Top Gun where the commander is threatening Maverick with being forced to pilot a plane with rubber dog **** from Hong Kong?

Actually there was a rule change last year where things couldn't be labelled as made in Hong Kong any more when sold in the United States.

I've heard of some doozies. There was a manufacturing town in Japan called Usa. So it would be labeled as "Made in Usa". There was also a fashion designed in Hong Kong who put on "Made by Chinese" to try and show that his manufacturing wasn't cheap. And then some setting up in the US depency of Saipan, hiring immigrant labor from Asia, and calling it made in USA.

There was a manufacturing town in Japan called Usa. So it would be labeled as "Made in Usa".

While there is a Usa, Japan, I'm pretty sure your statement about things being made in Usa, Japan being labeled "Made in USA" is false.

You never bought anything that was labelled as Made in Hong Kong? Never saw Top Gun where the commander is threatening Maverick with being forced to pilot a plane with rubber dog **** from Hong Kong?

Actually there was a rule change last year where things couldn't be labelled as made in Hong Kong any more when sold in the United States.

I've heard of some doozies. There was a manufacturing town in Japan called Usa. So it would be labeled as "Made in Usa". There was also a fashion designed in Hong Kong who put on "Made by Chinese" to try and show that his manufacturing wasn't cheap. And then some setting up in the US depency of Saipan, hiring immigrant labor from Asia, and calling it made in USA.
Nope. Not to the best of my knowledge. But then, I've never purchased rubber dog poo and then looked at the bottom of it to see country of origin. :ROFLMAO:
Oh, and I just googled Usa Japan. The city was founded on April 1, 1967. On March 31, 2005, the towns of Ajimu and Innai were merged into Usa. And nearly 47 percent ($7.2 billion) of parts imports from China came from the “other” category, making up nearly 19 percent of such parts imported into the United States in 2018. https://www.google.com/search?q=per...ade+in+hong+kong&aqs=chrome..69i57.22340j0j7&{google:bookmarkBarPinned}sourceid=chrome&{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:eek:mniboxStartMarginParameter}ie=UTF-8
Back to topic: I have no problem with parts made anywhere provided they are quality parts. I have issues with LIES on labels and packaging purposely designed to deceive purchasers, as has been well demonstrated by other posters on this thread with photographs.

The problem is how much value inside a product is American or not.

Personally when I bought AC oil filters, the ones I looked out for were labelled as Made in the United Kingdom or Made in England.
Well, we’re not really discussing value. We’re discussing place of manufacture.

While there is a Usa, Japan, I'm pretty sure your statement about things being made in Usa, Japan being labeled "Made in USA" is false.

I heard it more than once, but with variations including “Made in Usa, Japan” with Japan smaller. It could very well have been a myth.

Of course today something being made in Japan is not considered a bad thing.

Well, we’re not really discussing value. We’re discussing place of manufacture.
Actually, "value" (as in the $$$ cost value of components) does factor in to what the "Made in..." label can say too. For example, a cast (metal) part can be made in India or China or wherever, shipped to the US, and multiple machining operations performed to it. In many cases, this item can say "Made in USA" yet many people take issue with using "cheap Chinese steel". In this case, you may never know it's made of cheap Chinese steel.

Actually, "value" (as in the $$$ cost value of components) does factor in to what the "Made in..." label can say too. For example, a cast (metal) part can be made in India or China or wherever, shipped to the US, and multiple machining operations performed to it. In many cases, this item can say "Made in USA" yet many people take issue with using "cheap Chinese steel". In this case, you may never know it's made of cheap Chinese steel.

The fact is that a lot of our food contains components made in China or India where they've build up massive industries. But with many chemicals that quality is actually quite good. I've heard interviews with some American manufacturers who have stated that the manufacturing equipment used in China is more advanced than the stuff they use because they can't afford new equipment.

Steel is something a bit different.

That would say “using parts that are imported from other countries.”

but yes, it’s unfortunate.

about the only things left that's made in the USA are cheeseburgers
200_d.gif

This is why I go with "reputable brand" instead of country of origin these days. (Dayco and Gates are not reputable brands in my book).

What is defined as made in these days anyways? You see them slapping critical parts together and call this made in, and then it falls apart. Why does it matter where the final assembly fit when the company pull these kind of tricks to begin with?

Critical part in this would likely be the bearing, or at least the balls of the bearing, not where they press the pulley together with a machine.
The problem with "reputable brand" is you don't know what's "reputable" anymore these days.

In this particular case, I looked at Continental and it also had "China" right on the bearing, and so did ACDelco, Dayco, Four Seasons and Hayden. I even looked at the OE Ford part (6L2Z-6C348-A), which had "Made in Canada" on the box and came with a new washer and bolt. I pulled the washer and bolt off, and it says China right on the bearing again.

I wouldn't be surprised if these are all coming out the same factory with different brand labels being slapped on them down the line. The part itself is exactly the same, regardless of brand. The only thing different is the packaging and price tag.

We, like much of the West, are a consumer economy, and this pandemic has certainly highlighted the dangers of becoming largely dependent on consumption as the single source of economic activity. That's not to say things were very different decades ago post WWII, but we certainly had a more lively manufacturing base and were more self dependent to supply ourselves with what we needed. But the push to move production overseas to cut costs has resulted in exactly what we're seeing here. Yes, we still "assemble" products, but assembling a product with foreign sourced components isn't exactly being self dependent and doesn't classify the end product as "Made in U.S.A." or "Made in Canada" or "Made in the United Kingdom", etc.

The problem with "reputable brand" is you don't know what's "reputable" anymore these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if these are all coming out the same factory with different brand labels being slapped on them down the line. The part itself is exactly the same, regardless of brand. The only thing different is the packaging and price tag.
I had to replace the fan control module in my car recently. I went with a GATES module. The part itself inside the box had absolutely no markings other than (4) digits stamped in white ink. I had looked online at other "brands" and I know that sometimes pictures are generic but in this case, the parts looked right (size, shape, # of connections, heat sink, etc). None of them had any markings either, just like the Gates. The Nissan (OEM or replacement) part didn't look much different except it did have Nissan's 10-digit part number on it, again just stamped with ink though.

With the maturing of manufacturing in China, you can now gets several levels of price points in Made in China parts. It all used to be cheap junk but now you can get several levels of quality. If you are missing out on this it’s because of changes happening faster than we can keep up with. ;)

Last edited:

In this particular case, I looked at Continental and it also had "China" right on the bearing, and so did ACDelco, Dayco, Four Seasons and Hayden. I even looked at the OE Ford part (6L2Z-6C348-A), which had "Made in Canada" on the box and came with a new washer and bolt. I pulled the washer and bolt off, and it says China right on the bearing again.

We, like much of the West, are a consumer economy, and this pandemic has certainly highlighted the dangers of becoming largely dependent on consumption as the single source of economic activity. That's not to say things were very different decades ago post WWII, but we certainly had a more lively manufacturing base and were more self dependent to supply ourselves with what we needed. But the push to move production overseas to cut costs has resulted in exactly what we're seeing here. Yes, we still "assemble" products, but assembling a product with foreign sourced components isn't exactly being self dependent and doesn't classify the end product as "Made in U.S.A." or "Made in Canada" or "Made in the United Kingdom", etc.
Brand rises and fall.

I still trust Denso and Aisin, but to me Nissan and Jatco have fallen off the Reputable Brand(tm) rank already. The brands you mentioned are probably on their way out if they did a lot of that iffy bearing from China.

Brand rises and fall.

I still trust Denso and Aisin, but to me Nissan and Jatco have fallen off the Reputable Brand(tm) rank already. The brands you mentioned are probably on their way out if they did a lot of that iffy bearing from China.
The biggest advantage Denso and Aisin have is that they manufacture their own products and have been able to sustain a certain level of quality across the board. Denso does a lot of manufacturing in China too, but they have their own manufacturing facilities under Denso Ten China Ltd. where they have full control, and have no problem labeling it as such.

Brands like ACDelco or Motorcraft, on the other hand, no longer manufacture. They rely on third parties to manufacture products for them and slap a label on it. Supposedly they are made to Ford or GM's "specifications", but using the idler pulley as an example, it's exactly the same product regardless of what brand label is stuck on it.

I just received a new shipment of parts for my Envoy. Although they're all ACDelco branded, ACDelco did not manufacture any of these components.

Thermostat and housing made by Hella Behr in Mexico:
PSX_20210404_155429.jpg

PSX_20210404_162212.jpg

Radiator cap made by TVS in India:
PSX_20210404_155323.jpg

PSX_20210404_162719.jpg

Multi-function/combination switch made by Valeo Niles in Thailand:

PSX_20210404_155458.jpg

PSX_20210404_164309.jpg

Upper and lower radiator hoses made in Brazil. While there are no manufacturer markings on these, I'm assuming these are made by SABÓ since they've been a major GM supplier since the mid '90s:

PSX_20210404_155413.jpg

PSX_20210404_155351.jpg

These are just a few examples.

Back