Life Expectancy in the USA, Formula - you calculate from your present age, not your birth age.

89.2% of black bears take refuge in a lair. At least, that's what they say.

But then again, 37.4% of such statistics are made up.
As we learned, reliable and valid.

An engine in a Camaro 327. Same engine in a suv 288 hp. Total misuse of HP. Easily done today.

89.2% of black bears take refuge in a lair. At least, that's what they say.

But then again, 37.4% of such statistics are made up.

You sound like a statistician that I used to know. He was the one that used to comment on people that drowned in lakes with only a Mean Depth of 1/2 inch of water.

I looked up two women, a mother and her daughter, in my family in the table. One was 68 in 2020 and the other 38. According to the table, on average, the mother can expect to live another 17.34 years (to age 85.34) and the daughter another 43.24 (to age 81.34). Given the advancement of modern medical care and the reduced death rate in car accidents and in other aspects of life, I'm really surprised to see the reduction in the expected life time of the daughter vs her mother.

But while I'm at it I should point out that these are just overall averages for the US. They do not account for race, your locality, your health, your life style, weather you do drugs or drink alcohol, weather you're married or not (yes, that has an influence), weather you engage in risky sports, how far you drive everyday, and a number of other factors. These numbers are only averages; and your expected lifespan could vary considerably.

According to the actuarial life table in the original post, I have a life expectance of 11.67 years. I think I prefer to use the IRA Required Minimum Distribution table where I "get" 26.5 years.

Regards,
John

You sound like a statistician that I used to know. He was the one that used to comment on people that drowned in lakes with only a Mean Depth of 1/2 inch of water.
I've often used something similar:

"Did you hear about the statistician who drowned wading across a river with an average depth of 50 cm?"

Stats can be cherry-picked to mislead.

I looked up two women, a mother and her daughter, in my family in the table. One was 68 in 2020 and the other 38. According to the table, on average, the mother can expect to live another 17.34 years (to age 85.34) and the daughter another 43.24 (to age 81.34). Given the advancement of modern medical care and the reduced death rate in car accidents and in other aspects of life, I'm really surprised to see the reduction in the expected life time of the daughter vs her mother.

But while I'm at it I should point out that these are just overall averages for the US. They do not account for race, your locality, your health, your life style, weather you do drugs or drink alcohol, weather you're married or not (yes, that has an influence), weather you engage in risky sports, how far you drive everyday, and a number of other factors. These numbers are only averages; and your expected lifespan could vary considerably.
Yes, and that's why life-insurance companies have separate tables for smokers and non-smokers, etc.

I've often used something similar:

"Did you hear about the statistician who drowned wading across a river with an average depth of 50 cm?"

Stats can be cherry-picked to mislead.

My old ROTC instructor used to say that "figures lie and liars figure". He was a wise old Bird and explained to us about how numbers and facts can be manipulated. He was probably the only teacher that I ever had that didn't just try to pour facts into us but actually explained how things worked in the REAL world.

weather you drink alcohol,,,,,
Despite an entire array of misinformation on this subject, it seems a small quantity of ethanol reduces "all cause" mortality by about 20% to as much as 25% in some studies. In fact, there is probably nothing else one can do that is as effective. Ethanol is very cardio protective. About 1/2 a shot/drink looks to be best, the form of ethanol matters little, although it does seem that red wine in strict moderation extends life the most at about 4.5 years. As always, look out for bias in these studies, as it is very age and behavior dependent.

The NYT's for example, claims that moderate drinking has no health benefits, and that all 2500 previous studies were flawed. Despite the fact that it's quite well known that very modest consumption extends life, and reduces heart disease. Many studies associate alcohol and avoidable diseases such as AIDS, and other risky behavior diseases, for example, which then skews the numbers unfavorably.

gr2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fla
The main takeaway from this is "retire as soon as you can because you don't have much life expectancy left tomorrow".

the day after my 62-nd birthday will be when I apply for Social Security if it still exists by then.

The main takeaway from this is "retire as soon as you can because you don't have much life expectancy left tomorrow".

the day after my 62-nd birthday will be when I apply for Social Security if it still exists by then.
Someone explained this to me, so he retired at 53 with the rule of 75. Time > money, hard to comprehend for many of us, or, we simply don't have enough money

Despite an entire array of misinformation on this subject, it seems a small quantity of ethanol reduces "all cause" mortality by about 20% to as much as 25% in some studies. In fact, there is probably nothing else one can do that is as effective. Ethanol is very cardio protective. About 1/2 a shot/drink looks to be best, the form of ethanol matters little, although it does seem that red wine in strict moderation extends life the most at about 4.5 years. As always, look out for bias in these studies, as it is very age and behavior dependent.

The NYT's for example, claims that moderate drinking has no health benefits, and that all 2500 previous studies were flawed. Despite the fact that it's quite well known that very modest consumption extends life, and reduces heart disease. Many studies associate alcohol and avoidable diseases such as AIDS, and other risky behavior diseases, for example, which then skews the numbers unfavorably.

gr2.jpg

(One of) the problems with many "studies" such as this one is that they take all of their samples from people such as the bums living in the NY city subways so their data is VERY skewed to begin with. Frankly unless I know exactly how any polling or studies were conducted and what group they asked or studied and exactly what questions were asked, I don't believe them. And the newspapers and TV news, etc very rarely tell you anything about who did the study and with what group of subjects and exactly what they were asked, so I have ZERO confidence in anything that they say.

ALL of the J.D. Power and Ass surveys are a prime example of how the questions all point to their desired conclusion.

Even some of the "peer reviewed" studies that were used to get FDA approval for certain drugs are now known to have been faked.

13 years ago while out riding his motorcycle, a friend of mine crashed his bike at age 62. He died in the hospital a few hours later. The very next day his first SS check showed up in the mail. ( They mailed them back then), he never even saw the check. So taking your SS early is no guarantee you'll get more of anything.,,

Not me. The table for the average lifespan shows that I will (on average) live another 19 years. The detailed tables based on all other factors shows that I have a 50% probability of living longer than that. So it will (or should be) well worth it for me to delay taking Social Security and to take the increased benefits. OTOH if someone can't afford to wait the additional 7 or so years or has serious health concerns then it's a different story.

One thing that many people don't think about is that inflation WILL eat into whatever retirement income/savings that they have and if you take a lowered SS payment, and don't have a lot of savings or other income, then they could very easily run out of money somewhere down the road. Particularly if you retire at a rather young age such as 62 and now have no other income but do have added retirement expenses for those years between age 62 and say age 70. That coupled with the dramatically lower SS income is a bad combination for anyone that doesn't have significant other income or significant savings.

its all bout the Q U ask, not the end result. B sure to frame the Q right (pretty darned narrow - specific) cuz the stats dont lie (math is the most specific language). Actuary pros are drafted on that ability as it means money to da company !

Life expectancy can be a interesting subject.. What dictates one person will live till xx and another xx.. I'd say luck and nothing more. Great aunt on my mom's side just passed away today at 96, her mom (my great grandma) was 92-93, my grandma is in the 80's and ok still health wise. The grandma on my dad's side was in her 90's when she passed. Both my grandpa's were 82 when they passed. But my dad I fully expect to live as long as his mom if not longer 90's, my dad's uncle lived to almost 100. My mom not sure as she got gpa's health problems. On the other hand my sister passed away at 27 and one cousin at 39. Also my wife's real mom passed away in her 50's and her mom (aunt) is in hospice right now in her 70's. I often worry about my wife and how long we'll be together. I do see the younger generation not living longer due to diet and everyday hazards.

One thing for certain we're going part time after the youngest leaves and figures out what he's going to do. Should be mid-50's for me. I'm taking SS at 62 without a doubt. My niece told me dang Eric you're living your best life.. all the bike rides and vacations we take. Yes we are life isn't guaranteed.

I'm taking SS at 62 without a doubt. My niece told me dang Eric you're living your best life.. all the bike rides and vacations we take. Yes we are life isn't guaranteed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ALL for retiring early while you can still enjoy life. But I plan to enjoy a long life and therefore I'm going to wait until the last minute to draw SS so that it can get the most out of it that I can. I worked too dammed long and too dammed hard and was forced to pay into SS when I really couldn't afford to so now I want everything out of it that I can get.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ALL for retiring early while you can still enjoy life. But I plan to enjoy a long life and therefore I'm going to wait until the last minute to draw SS so that it can get the most out of it that I can. I worked too dammed long and too dammed hard and was forced to pay into SS when I really couldn't afford to so now I want everything out of it that I can get.

I agree.

But you don’t want to be in a wheelchair to start enjoying your SS money…. 👨‍🦽

It will always exist but depending on your age you may have to wait until 64 to receive SS if they reformulate.
The biggest issue with collecting SS at 62 is it will cost you dearly to pay your own health insurance until you are 65 which is when get Medicare.
Since my wife still worked and I always enjoyed working I started collecting SS at 62 and I took a part time 25 hour Mon to Fri job at a major bank, they paid my health insurance, At 65 I completely retired.

My other option was to go under her company health insurance. Options are nice and time to think them through if you want to retire at 62 one must have to think out your health insurance costs until you reach the Medicare age of 65.
Medicare is an awesome program

Last edited:
It will always exist but depending on your age you may have to wait until 64 to receive SS if they reformulate.
The biggest issue with collecting SS at 62 is it will cost you dearly to pay your own health insurance until you are 65 which is when get Medicare.
Since my wife still worked and I always enjoyed working I started collecting SS at 62 and I took a part time 25 hour Mon to Fri job at a major bank, they paid my health insurance, At 65 I completely retired.

My other option was to go under her company health insurance. Options are nice and time to think them through if you want to retire at 62 one must have to think out your health insurance costs until you reach the Medicare age of 65.
Medicare is an awesome program
Yeah, they got us by the b[...]s

Our healthcare system is not a nightmare, it's a feature.

Back