ACDelco facing lawsuit over "made in USA" claims

I sense BS.

No 1 Where did this plaintiff acquire the part (Retail store or Online)? Why not get a refund and instead sue GM?
No 2 Did he confirm that the box was not a counterfeit?

I'm expecting case dismissed.

I sense BS.

No 1 Where did this plaintiff acquire the part (Retail store or Online)? Why not get a refund and instead sue GM?
No 2 Did he confirm that the box was not a counterfeit?

I'm expecting case dismissed.

On a class action suit, the attorney probably took this case for a percentage of damages; meaning it's a case where the attorney is sure enough of himself/herself to spend time on it without being paid until settlement. IF I WERE THE ATTORNEY, which I'm not, I would think they would have the common sense to go buy several more of these filters as "demonstration;" leaving some of them sealed in original packaging and opening at least one or two to personally substantiate the observation of packaging stating "made in USA" vs product in packaging stamped "made in China." I'd buy a dozen or more with the specific purpose in mind of letting members of the jury open them in court. And I would do all the aforementioned prior to filing class action suit.

And I'm no attorney and I am ignorant of many legal things, but I think you must have a minimum of 3 plaintiffs for "class action."

It's a class-action. Meaning there are dozens, if not hundreds of plaintiffs.
Not necessarily. There's no set number of plaintiffs and it costs next to nothing to file a case. It's up to the court to grant class-action status.

In any case I no longer have PACER so I can't view the actual complaint and the parties to it.

Last edited:

On a class action suit, the attorney probably took this case for a percentage of damages; meaning it's a case where the attorney is sure enough of himself/herself to spend time on it without being paid until settlement. IF I WERE THE ATTORNEY, which I'm not, I would think they would have the common sense to go buy several more of these filters as "demonstration;" leaving some of them sealed in original packaging and opening at least one or two to personally substantiate the observation of packaging stating "made in USA" vs product in packaging stamped "made in China." I'd buy a dozen or more with the specific purpose in mind of letting members of the jury open them in court. And I would do all the aforementioned prior to filing class action suit.

And I'm no attorney and I am ignorant of many legal things, but I think you must have a minimum of 3 plaintiffs for "class action."

I'm involved in about a dozen class-action lawsuits at the moment. Postcards and letters show up at my house and I fill out whatever form they send me. Nothing has ever come of them. I did get a check for $1 due to my purchase of the Milli-Vanilli CD which I refused to cash. I don't care if they didn't do the singing, that was a good CD! Friend of mine got $1400 in a class action settlement. So many people ignored it thinking it wasn't worth their time for a measly dollar or two that the people that did respond got a nice payout.

Corporation xyz denies any wrongdoing but agrees to pay $10M to settle. LOL

Reminds me how Cheerios had to remove the "Lowers Cholesterol by X%" statement from their cereal boxes and now it's just "Can help Lower Cholesterol"
Can't claim it if it isn't true. Especially when it comes to health related issues.

Here’s a pair of Advics brake pads I installed a couple years ago.

In English: “Made in USA”
In Spanish: “Made in Japan”
In French: “Made in Japan”

Ugh, the site flipped the photo 🤷🏼‍♂️
0B76D774-0FC8-4530-A547-2AFCBDD97579.jpeg

^^Exactly. It doesn't mean what most people think it does in plain language. The legal and corporate standards are worded to say how much can be non-USA content in a product labeled USA.

I don't know all the details, but the "General Motors Falsely Claims..." article makes it sound like a solid case. I suppose a lot depends on how much wiggle room is written into the FTC standard.

I just looked at two different NAPA filters. There's a blank spot on each box that was obviously printed separately. One says "Contents made in Poland" and the other "Contents made in USA." A Cree lightbulb package, on the other hand, has a little American flag and "Assembled in USA."
In the past, I've seen language like "Assembled in USA with imported components" and even "Package Made in USA." A lot of companies must try to play on the USA language without actually breaking the law. It probably fools a lot of consumers who don't read closely.

I signed up for the class action against Epson, when their inkjets would quit printing if one of the cartridges ran out. (Usually the more expensive color cartridge ran out and I couldn't print black.) The settlement resulted in the stupendous award of a coupon toward my next Epson cartridge. If only I'd become a lawyer. I know they got paid in real money.

theres a lot of "shady" marketing these days + understanding EXACTLY what they are saying takes some research!! foods like lubricants are VERY controversial + like many auto parts if only a small portion is bad-not usa it can be advertised as such. everything i geared to big business as they prolly "support" the people that make the rules + as usual its ALL about the $$$$$$. it is what it is + we STILL live in the BEST place in the world IMO!!

Here’s a pair of Advics brake pads I installed a couple years ago.

In English: “Made in USA”
In Spanish: “Made in Japan”
In French: “Made in Japan”

Ugh, the site flipped the photo 🤷🏼‍♂️View attachment 52022
I'm not bilingual, much less trilingual, but I have a pretty good truth detector, and my tail is tingling. No matter where they're made, they're lying. Pretty bold of them to put that on the label of the box.

Someone wants to "try" and sue GM over an oil or air filter? Haha I wish them the best of luck! Sounds like someone needs a hobby. Honestly, if something says "Made in USA" on the package, that could be very well inferring the shrink-wrap, ink to inscribe the text, package itself, a thread, a fiber, and so on, could be what's "Made in USA" on said article.

19 hours ago https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/03/acdelco-facing-lawsuit-over-made-in-usa-claim-on-packaging/

What say you? I have purposely paid more for parts that claim to be "made in USA"
I think USA is destroyed by lawyers asking for a ransom and then sell out the people they represent.

Anyways, I would pay more for reputable brand made in Japan, I would also pay more for a known reputable brand that happens to be made in the USA, slightly more than a reputable brand who is made in China or Mexico.

I'd be happy to pay GM / AC Delco to stick it to the lawyers of these class action coons.

Last edited:
I bought a Gates idler pulley with a label clearly marked "Made in Canada" on the box:

PSX_20210401_101538.jpg

I bought it because it was "made in Canada". Pull it out the box and it says "China" right on the NSK bearing:

PSX_20210401_101619.jpg

"Made in Canada" in yellow on the back of the pulley:

PSX_20210401_101735.jpg

I'm replacing this pulley because the bearing has gone bad. What use is a chunk of round steel marked "made in Canada" if the major component is made in China? Not saying NSK is bad, but perhaps "Made in Canada with Foreign Components" would have made a better label.

Back