ACDelco facing lawsuit over "made in USA" claims

I use a ton of AC-Delco parts.....Usually the OE line if possible. They're not shy about the COO from what I've seen.....Lot's of Canada, Mexico, China, Taiwan, Germany, Poland, Chezk Repuplic, etc.

I hope this isn't about the "GM, Detroit Michigan" that's been printed on every AC-Delco box since 1995??

Im sure it happens all the time and not going to end anytime soon, packaging errors, shifting suppliers from all over the world and then packaged here, throw in a lazy employee here and there or oversight on someones job or a smaller company looking to deceive or not want to waste USA labeled boxes.
At least the part was stamped correctly ... good post from the OP though, something to watch for if you want USA or any specific country products. No way GM top level management endorsed what happened and I would say there is no way it was intentional but a small company may, good to watch for.

And this is why there's the lawsuit. A company - doesn't matter who - isn't following rules or laws that protect you and I (consumers).
Maybe maybe not they followed the rules. A lawsuit isn’t a guilty verdict.

Maybe maybe not they followed the rules. A lawsuit isn’t a guilty verdict.
I'm NOT trying to play devil's advocate with you sir, but "case dismissed" or "not guilty" verdicts are meaningless in this day & age of "he who has the best lawyer/group of lawyers wins."
Leo99 said on p1 of this thread:
Corporation xyz denies any wrongdoing but agrees to pay $10M to settle. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Most court cases are settled, especially large cases that may guide future verdicts. It is cheaper anyways and most lawyers like this are there to make a buck, won't want to spend too much time for too little gain.

Corp lawyers will try to find ways to make them future proof. We now see those cancer causing material warning labels everywhere, liability waiver everywhere, may contain foreign components disclaimers everywhere, ask your doctors for medical advises disclaimers everywhere, this is not an investment advise disclaimers everywhere.

This is not a legal or investment advise. I am not a licensed professional.

I have no problem buying something made in China by a reputable Chinese company when there is no real alternative, there are a few like Sunsong for hydraulic lines which are very good. What gets me a when other companies rebrand them and sell them for almost double the money, they are using their brands perceived COO to justify the higher price then wonder why some people are seriously PO'd when they get it and it has Made in China on it.

People love Milwaukee power tools and rant over them endlessly, another Chinese owned and operated company TTI. Its only going to get worse,
given the current situation I can see more and more Chinese made goods flooding into the USA.

People love Milwaukee power tools and rant over them endlessly, another Chinese owned and operated company TTI. Its only going to get worse,
given the current situation I can see more and more Chinese made goods flooding into the USA.

A lot of people don’t realize that brand names are not what they used to be. Here is a list of brands that TTI makes.

TTI's brand portfolio includes Milwaukee, AEG Power Tools, Ryobi, Homelite, Empire, Stiletto, Hoover US, Hart, Oreck, Vax, and Dirt Devil.[4]

TTI's brand portfolio includes Milwaukee, AEG Power Tools, Ryobi, Homelite, Empire, Stiletto, Hoover US, Hart, Oreck, Vax, and Dirt Devil.[4]
I don't know (or care) what all of those 'names' are known for but hopefully people realize, for example, that this doesn't mean Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi, and Hart power tools aren't all the same. They can be very, very different. Same with Hoover, Oreck, and Dirt Devil. Those are vacuum brands but their units aren't necessarily identical. You've no doubt heard people say things like "Milwaukee, Ryobi, etc are made by the same company" and while it's not a false statement, people shouldn't presume anything beyond them having the same parent company.

I have no problem buying something made in China by a reputable Chinese company when there is no real alternative, there are a few like Sunsong for hydraulic lines which are very good. What gets me a when other companies rebrand them and sell them for almost double the money, they are using their brands perceived COO to justify the higher price then wonder why some people are seriously PO'd when they get it and it has Made in China on it.

Trav, you are an absolute gem on this site and I generally treasure your posts. I'd believe you over myself; but is it possible you made a mistake here? Or is my source fake? Brands like Ryobi, Dirt Devil, Oreck, Milwaukee Electric and Hoover, for example, are owned by Techtronic Industries based out of Hong Kong.
My source: https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gear/a28359/megabrands-tools-graphic/

Trav, you are an absolute gem on this site and I generally treasure your posts. I'd believe you over myself; but is it possible you made a mistake here? Or is my source fake? Brands like Ryobi, Dirt Devil, Oreck, Milwaukee Electric and Hoover, for example, are owned by Techtronic Industries based out of Hong Kong.
My source: https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gear/a28359/megabrands-tools-graphic/
Hong Kong as Hall said is part of China and like mainland China the rules are the same although on paper they have a little more independence.
TTI is manufacturing in mainland China.

Hong Kong as Hall said is part of China and like mainland China the rules are the same although on paper they have a little more independence.
TTI is manufacturing in mainland China.

Please forgive my ignorance of world geography. I somewhat grew up in Kansas and I know how many acres are in a square mile and the capital is Topeka. I almost made it to retirement age before google was invented. I also love Milwaukee tools.

Even apple prints "designed by Apple in California" on all their products even though we all know they are made in the sweatshops at Foxconn (China) where they have to put up nets on the building to prevent people from suicide.

It always says "Assembled in China" or possibly another country (Foxconn is manufacturing in India now). And "assembled" is more accurate because the parts can come from all over the world, including parts made in Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, etc. I read stuff about the value added content, and most iPhones have higher value of parts/labor outside of China even if they're assembled in China. I believe the value of parts/labor from Japan is typically higher than that of China.

The FTC actually has rules and/or guidelines about claims like these. Start here, https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/advertising-and-marketing/made-in-usa, and enjoy reading. As many remember, it used to be pretty simply "Made in ...". Now we see "Made in USA with global components" or "Assembled in the USA with foreign and domestic parts" and on and on and on.

New Balance always had fun with that. The weird thing is what happens when exchange rates change and something is close to the value where they have to change it. A lot of New Balance labels have something glued on to say Made in USA of USA and foreign materials. If it doesn't meet the requirement then there's something about "Made in China" or maybe "Assembled in USA" underneath.

nb-10.jpg

Back