ACDelco facing lawsuit over "made in USA" claims

Honestly guys, I'm thankful for the educational responses. Maybe I'm living under a rock, I did not know that other manufacturers also played this game. Things aren't what they oughta be and it appears the manufacturers main goal is to sell their products even if it means lying to the consumer.

I believe there are very few things that are totally made in America anymore. The term assembled in America is the more widely used one now.

In the end it’s the final quality that counts.
Even apple prints "designed by Apple in California" on all their products even though we all know they are made in the sweatshops at Foxconn (China) where they have to put up nets on the building to prevent people from suicide.

Yep, just general confusion on multi sourced components. It’s not like GM is consistently trying to hide the China connection. Here is the box from a master cylinder from AC Delco. Made in China.

39B51512-EF66-4BB3-81E7-0F99C9BDDFF8.jpeg

Honestly guys, I'm thankful for the educational responses. Maybe I'm living under a rock, I did not know that other manufacturers also played this game. Things aren't what they oughta be and it appears the manufacturers main goal is to sell their products even if it means lying to the consumer.
Counterfeit parts have been a big problem for years so I'm not so sure the manufacturers are playing games when it's just a plausible that it's the retailers.

Dayco was pulling this one also some time ago (I don't know if they still do it), made in Canada with a Chicom bearing. As soon as the temp dropped to 0f or below the bearing started making noise and let go.
I had a few of those Dayco pullies with Chinese bearings, they don't do well in high heat conditions over here. A couple of days in 125°F weather and you'll hear that God awful noise sooner than later, guaranteed.

I had a few of those Dayco pullies with Chinese bearings, they don't do well in high heat conditions over here. A couple of days in 125°F weather and you'll hear that God awful noise sooner than later, guaranteed.
This is why I go with "reputable brand" instead of country of origin these days. (Dayco and Gates are not reputable brands in my book).

What is defined as made in these days anyways? You see them slapping critical parts together and call this made in, and then it falls apart. Why does it matter where the final assembly fit when the company pull these kind of tricks to begin with?

Critical part in this would likely be the bearing, or at least the balls of the bearing, not where they press the pulley together with a machine.

Buying "American-made" parts that are manufactured elsewhere is common. I, too, have purchased the Gates pulleys that say "Made in USA". In my case, I opened the package to see that the pulley was made in Canada and the bearing was made in China. Canadian-made is okay. Chinese-made really isn't okay in my book when it clearly says "American-made".
Here is an example of what I call an outright lie on the labeling. Several months ago, I did some work at a local beer brewery. (No, I wasn't a taste-tester ;)) I installed the product below that we call a "steam trap". It is sold by Bell & Gossett, a high-end name. The label clearly says that the country of origin is USA. Oh, oh, when you open the box, the tag on the product says "Assembled in USA". Look closely now and the stamping on photos 2 & 3 clearly says "Made in China". So what is American-made? The box? The label? How much was assembled in the USA? There was no percentage of COO anywhere on the box or label. If they take great efforts to manufacture the product overseas, they should say so.
Getting back on topic, any automotive product that says "Made in USA" makes me very skeptical.

Attachments

• BG1.jpg
    BG1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 36
  • BG2.jpg
    BG2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 36
  • BG3.jpg
    BG3.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 36
He/she isn't suing GM over an oil filter or air filter. It's about consumer protection and fraud. Look at the bigger picture and lawsuits like this can help all of us in the end.
The problem with stuff like this is that it has already become such a huge normalcy that with the "global economy" we live in there's no way to even undo it.

With a generic "Made in USA" label slapped on a box, there's too much obscurity as to what exactly is "Made in USA".

Counterfeit parts have been a big problem for years so I'm not so sure the manufacturers are playing games when it's just a plausible that it's the retailers.
Regardless of who's doing it, it's obvious that there are multiple participants and anyone "playing the game" is guilty of stealing by deceit. Can this be proven in court? I'm not an attorney or judge, but I'll wager most school kids know that putting a Snickers candy bar in a Hershey's wrapper isn't right. And I would expect grown men (BITOGGERS) to be angry/upset if/when they realize they've been sold parts which are NOT what the box claims. You can call me any name you wish, old fashioned or geezer or fill in the ______, but in my mind, I expect the product IN the box to be as stated ON the box. Maybe that's asking too much in 2021.

Regardless of who's doing it, it's obvious that there are multiple participants and anyone "playing the game" is guilty of stealing by deceit. Can this be proven in court? I'm not an attorney or judge, but I'll wager most school kids know that putting a Snickers candy bar in a Hershey's wrapper isn't right. And I would expect grown men (BITOGGERS) to be angry/upset if/when they realize they've been sold parts which are NOT what the box claims. You can call me any name you wish, old fashioned or geezer or fill in the ______, but in my mind, I expect the product IN the box to be as stated ON the box. Maybe that's asking too much in 2021.

It’s not too much to ask. A lot of products have somehow skipped through loopholes to end up like this. Olive oil is one such product. Most of it is not 100% olive oil and it should state that on the label. Another is cheap vitamins. A lot of vitamins are actually manufactured in China and shipped over here only to be labeled as “Distributed by Healthy Vitamins” as a example. A lot of people don’t read the labels.

When they win the case then Delco is guilty under law. Until then they aren’t guilty. You asked what say you.
By all that is right and just, you are correct. Unfortunately, America is no longer right or just, and I'll stick to what I said above. Anyone (manufacturer, assembler, packager, shipper, retailer) "playing this game" is guilty of stealing by deceit. Regardless of how long this has been going on or how widespread it is, it ain't right.

By all that is right and just, you are correct. Unfortunately, America is no longer right or just, and I'll stick to what I said above. Anyone (manufacturer, assembler, packager, shipper, retailer) "playing this game" is guilty of stealing by deceit. Regardless of how long this has been going on or how widespread it is, it ain't right.

That's exactly the problem with these country of origin labeling these days. They won't tell you where the critical part is made, nor do people know what it means to be critical part. It could be a cast from China and then pressed together in the US or it could be the whole thing was made in China and then painted in the US.

If you think the dollar amount will tell it doesn't either, companies use accounting to manipulate prices and percentage all the time.

Those computer chips they are called "made in China" or Costa Rica, Malaysia, etc but they are just the backend process, diced out wafer and test there but fab in Taiwan, or US instead. So what does country of origin means anyways?

Back