Apprentice System Operator Job Posting, California

Yeah, they do have a very public history. PG&E is a company that used to be 15 separate utilities, each with their own switchyard designs, nomenclature & operating designs. They're a hodgepodge. Over the last decade they've spent billions to update their system but still have work to do.

SCE had the foresight, just post WW2, to design their 220kV "backbone" that the rest of their system is built off of when they changed from 50hz to 60hz in SoCal. PG&E didn't have that luxury.
Only reason I know this is because I'm reasonably close to hinkley,ca where all that went down.i have also been to a few of the places shown in the movie.

Absolutely agree too. Experience is a priceless skill (looking at you, second lieutenants trying to tell a gunny what to do.) We hire a lot of folks straight out of college or have college interns from time to time and they've all been great, as same as our senior staff.

What I hate is people who do things they know they shouldn't do as a full grown adult (ie: take company vehicles on personal trips to the dispensary.)
These positions are a bit higher up than a Lt. or a Sgt. in the military. I work closely with a few Federal agencies with their respective operations. The federal controllers & dispatchers are GS15’s & would be my subordinates if coming to my agency. If I recall correctly, a GS15 is about a Lt. Colonel. Big step for a fresh college grad to wrap their heads around, not that it can’t happen it’s just rare.

There’s multiple roads on this one. My experience is many new college grads don’t have the personality profiles for operations. Edison Mission used personally profiles as a large part of their hiring to filter out people that would cave under the pressure of real time operations. They had more than one episode of an engineer turned operator curled up under the console at 0200 when all **** breaks loose & the lights go off & steam starts blowing out the safeties. I’ve personally ran into several newbies that were intelligent but FAR too sensitive for the position.

Personally, I tend to get along with grumpy old codgers (I’m 46 but grew up on the farm raised by WW2 vet). I also do well with most anyone that gives an honest effort & can take a bit of constructive criticism. I’ve seen these kids nowadays start crying during constructive criticism & not even a review or actual trouble. Then they tuned right around & tried to boss people around the next week.

My employees range from early 40’s to mid/late 60’s. I’d gladly hire a youngster if I could but I’ve never once seen one last, or even be reliable(under 35 at least). From what I’ve experienced, once accountability is placed they run. If a willing to learn, thick skinned, calm & intelligent young person applied for these positions, they’d be a VP of Operations by 45.
Sign me up! Been a full time machinist since I was 18, been late twice in my life (one I over slept once at 19, the other I hit black ice and slid off the road at 27). Been at the same company for almost 10 years now with no disciplinary write ups.

All I ask is if I’m messing something up or there is a better way to do something to berate me THEN teach me, not simply berate me, say “it’s your job figure it out” then go sit in the office.

Also I’m sick of winter. I hate cold.

Sign me up! Been a full time machinist since I was 18, been late twice in my life (one I over slept once at 19, the other I hit black ice and slid off the road at 27). Been at the same company for almost 10 years now with no disciplinary write ups.

All I ask is if I’m messing something up or there is a better way to do something to berate me THEN teach me, not simply berate me, say “it’s your job figure it out” then go sit in the office.

Also I’m sick of winter. I hate cold.
PM sent just in case you’re serious

I spent 40 yrs with the power companies . All of it out in the field . I interacted with Dispatchers , System Operators , and Control Room Operators on a daily basis . Those jobs are not for just anybody . I always said that there wasn't enough money for me to sit in those seats . If you don't know what you're doing , it'll show up real quick .

For anyone curious about system operations, here’s the EPRI power system tutorial:

There’s other study guides out there for test taking but this should be about the best, publicly available, source of information about power systems. It’ll help your bs detector for the nightly news reports as well 😉

I spent 40 yrs with the power companies . All of it out in the field . I interacted with Dispatchers , System Operators , and Control Room Operators on a daily basis . Those jobs are not for just anybody . I always said that there wasn't enough money for me to sit in those seats . If you don't know what you're doing , it'll show up real quick .
Agreed. The reason I’m posting this position is that PG&E has one of, if not the, best system operator programs in North America. The failure rate is high but the program is great.

My class had the highest graduating percentage in several years. The college grads didn’t make it but the ones that did came from:

Military helicopter mechanic
Inside wireman/station electrician
Military I&C Tech
Power Plant operator
Offshore systems controller
Military explosives ordnance tech(defuse live bombs)

Everyone possessed the correct mindset to approach the situations presented in the training & after on the desk. The program isn’t easy & the job is challenging as well but there is a sense or gratification when you’re able to recover or save the system.

If I was much younger I would apply to this apprenticeship.

Been in the medical equipment repair field for a while.

Back