5W-30 for longer engine life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dblshock
for the long haul especially a GDI 0/40 for sure..Castrol 0/40 is a monster compared to these ILSAC & API W30's.

The motor is Multiport so we probably do not have the same concerns of the GDI or turbo motor. Owner's manual list 5w-30 as the highest weight recommended for the 2.0 Atkinson Cycle motor.

Remember that there is no proof that a thicker oil protects better. Lots of high mileage cars out there running on 20 weight oils. So choose whatever you like better.

Sounds good, guys...thanks.
Just for the fun of it, I will try 5W-30 for my first oil change which I think I will do at around 3000 miles, than do 6000 OCI.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: CT8
While I prefer a 30 wt compared to a 20 wt because it has a greater safety margin. There would be probably no difference in life of the engine. Countless engines are turning over 200,000 + miles running 20 wts.

Like my Fusion. I use 0-20 and my engines perform very well.
As a matter of fact yes with 10,000 mile oil changes and they look great under the valve cover !

CT8
nailed it with this comment---and do not forget he was doing it XX years ago before anyone even thought of running a 20 wt oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back