Is high mileage synthetic oil really worth it?

Hi,
My 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition just turned over to 75,000 miles. The car has been flawless and I still get 36MPG traveling in on the roads in central NJ, NOT even highway driving. I just purchased Pennzoil 5W-20 full synthetic for high mileage cars over 75,000 miles. The price is the same as the standard full synthetic and I was just wondering if the high mileage version can really be beneficial to use, or just stick with the regular full synthetic?
Thanks
Michael in Central NJ

It could reduce or in some rare cases stop any seepage or consumption caused by old gaskets and seals by swelling them up again. But other than that they're mostly the same elsewhere.

My last car made it to over 300k on regular synthetic before the trans died. And my wife's Hyundai made it to 215,000 on regular synthetic as well before the engine blew (Theta-II...yay for lifetime recall warranty.) Neither one of those got high mileage oil. I know it's anecdotal but I don't think it's worth it.

There's nothing wrong with high mileage oil. It's pretty equivalent to non-HM versions other than extra seal conditioners. You can use or not. If you're not having leaky seals yet, you may decide to hold off until you do, but if you start using it now, it won't hurt anything.

High mileage oils typically have a little more wear protection and seal conditioners which help slow and prevent leaks.

I run them in my high mileage vehicles mostly for the seal conditioners. Currently have Mobil 1 5w30 High Mileage "Triple Action Formula" in my vehicles.

Now everyone has different opinions on this as you can see some say if it is not leaking don't use it, my method is help prevent it from leaking to begin with using the high mileage option.

All though I don’t think it’ll help with engines that don’t burn or drip oil, it won’t hurt anything either.
I’ve had engines that never noticeably used any oil in in 15 yrs and several hundred thousand miles using conventional oil but I do use HM oils in the Firebird in my signature with reasonable success to slow down & reduce the few drips that it had/has.

Hi,
My 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition just turned over to 75,000 miles. The car has been flawless and I still get 36MPG traveling in on the roads in central NJ, NOT even highway driving. I just purchased Pennzoil 5W-20 full synthetic for high mileage cars over 75,000 miles. The price is the same as the standard full synthetic and I was just wondering if the high mileage version can really be beneficial to use, or just stick with the regular full synthetic?
Thanks
Michael in Central NJ
Do you log all fill ups? Best hwy tank?

I use it in my 2008 Accent with 187k miles. And just put some in my old 23 year old mower that does weep from the hydraulic unit part.

Accent uses a half quart in 4k miles or so now. Less than when new.

Hi,
Thanks
Michael in Central NJ

Generally I say yes, they are worth using, especially when you pay the same price. When the right time comes to start using them is a personal preference. For my Lincoln MKC it was 80,000 miles when I noticed a slow leaking from the rear of the engine somewhere. After a few ocis the leak has dried up…

I have used both back and forth in my vehicles over the years. Never really noticed any difference.

I had a FORD Fusion fleet vehicle. I was required by my company to take it for an oil change every 5K. Always took it to a place down the street from me (bought out by MAVIS a few years ago.) Every oil change got Valvoline Maxlife HM. Yep. 5K miles on the odometer, first oil change, HM oil. Same oil.

Engine blew at 72K. Nothing to do with the oil. Known issue with those engines where cracked short block leaks coolant into cylinder 2.

Point is, will you gain anything? Maybe? Will it hurt anything, even a low mileage vehicle? No.

High mileage (HM) oils are designed to treat symptoms of high mileage wear, such as leaks and seepage, sludge, etc. If you don't have symptoms, you don't need HM oil. As others stated, many vehicles go 200-300k miles on the normal specified oil, with no problems. Non-HM oils contain the same seal conditioners as HM oil, but in lower concentrations.
Yes I understand the preventive argument for using a HM oil after 75k, but how do we know the engine would not be just fine (for a very long time) continuing on the normal oil? In many cases, HM oils are a solution looking for a problem. Pass.

Hi,
Thanks
Michael in Central NJ
When I get it on clearance price it sure will s🙊🙊🙊

Likely a dumb question, but can high mileage oil cause the anti-drain back valve in the oil filter to swell up and cause less flow?

Back