2021 Ford Bronco Is Here, and It's Everything You Hoped For

I wonder how well the turbochargers will hold up under water?

There won't be much that holds up under water. If you get deep enough that the turbo is immersed, you won't be in any worse shape than one with a N/A engine. You'll have other things to worry about. I've not seen any 2.0 Turbo Jeeps show less fording capability than the V6.

Per R&T, the base model is all you need. Although, I do not like having a manual for off-roading. The editors at Car and Driver get so geeky about having a manual and I'm not sure why. Drove one for the last 20 years. Over it. Anyway, the base package with slight upgrades is going to be a good seller.

Kind’ve reminds me of an FJ Cruiser.

I always wanted an FJ but the resale value is insane and you can't buy them new anymore. The FJ's have the great 4.0 v6 too and that engine will last forever.

Ford also claims the average person can get the Bronco's doors off in about half the time it takes on the Wrangler and they fit in the back.

How good/reliable is the 10 speed AT and Ecoboost engine?

looks like a WINNAH! over the OVERPRICED FCA offerings + reliability SHOULD be better. nice to see better pricing than many bloated $$$ jeeps with many NOT needed trinkets. but time will tell!!

It's been awhile since I've seen a vehicle get this much attention and excitement drawn to it.

How good/reliable is the 10 speed AT and Ecoboost engine?

Ecoboost 2.3 has been in the Mustang since 2015 and the new Explorer and Ranger . It is reliable.
Ecoboost has been in the F150 since 2015 and is reliable
10 speed has been in the F150 since 2017 (?) and Mustang since 2018 and new Explorer and Ranger. I believe it is reliable at this point.
The Ecoboost 2.0 (Sport) has been in the Escape, Edge, and, IIRC low end previous generation Explorers. No issues.

I'd not worry about the powertrain choices.

There won't be much that holds up under water. If you get deep enough that the turbo is immersed, you won't be in any worse shape than one with a N/A engine. You'll have other things to worry about. I've not seen any 2.0 Turbo Jeeps show less fording capability than the V6.

In my experience, offroad vehicles don't like being amphibious. Alternators, computers, connectors .... transmissions. They don't like being under water either.

Ford is really challenging Jeep. And I think as of now they did a heck of a job.

Ford is really challenging Jeep. And I think as of now they did a heck of a job.
Sharp vehicle’s for sure … The IFS is a hit for me … betting its better on the road and lines up well off-road
Much as I love my new Rubicon - the Jeep Wrangler still has this lane position drift all these years later

IMO the Bronco looks pretty good in videos and on paper. However, I want to see one in person. Wife and I have been thinking about a Wrangler for a couple years now. This just gives us another option and options are a good thing!

Back