2025 Toyota Camry - All Hybrid

Ha ha--you don't either. My numbers are facts, except for the expected MPGs, which is an approximation (for the hybrid--I KNOW the mpg a regular Camry gets on the highway). I do highway miles--it's a FACT that a regular Camry will do AT LEAST 40 mpg on the highway (if you keep it under 75, it will actually do around 42-43 mpg). Sorry to burst the bubble you live in. It's also a fact that on the highway hybrid cars typically don't do as well as they do in the city because the battery advantage dissipates. Also, my car price numbers are FACTS that I have person experience with, as are my insurance numbers. Yours are just something you pulled off the internet. Hybrids only make sense if you primarily do city driving. Even there, at best you are going to break even over a regular car like a Camry.

Ha ha--you don't either. My numbers are facts, except for the expected MPGs, which is an approximation (for the hybrid--I KNOW the mpg a regular Camry gets on the highway). I do highway miles--it's a FACT that a regular Camry will do AT LEAST 40 mpg on the highway (if you keep it under 75, it will actually do around 42-43 mpg). Sorry to burst the bubble you live in. It's also a fact that on the highway hybrid cars typically don't do as well as they do in the city because the battery advantage dissipates. Also, my car price numbers are FACTS that I have person experience with, as are my insurance numbers. Yours are just something you pulled off the internet. Hybrids only make sense if you primarily do city driving. Even there, at best you are going to break even over a regular car like a Camry.
News to me. I should go crunch the numbers, but wife left with the car (and thus the fuel log), and I don’t feel like crunching 60k’s worth of numbers right now.

But pretty sure, with zero city, and some NH winters, that the mpg is 45-50. There’s a reason why city and highway mpg ratings are close on this car.

This system is a parallel system. Gas engine makes around 180hp in the FXS variant, and drives the wheels in parallel to the electric motor. Unlike the honda system that can't use the gas engine while using the electric motor, and vice versa, this system is more versatile and has a lot more top end oomf. In the honda system, you lose pretty much all torque past 45mph and good luck getting past 60 mph in any reasonable time. In this, the gas engine has plenty of power and since it works in parallel to the electric motor, you have all the power all the time.

Now at the same time, the engine can be decoupled, and thus run only on the electric motors, and while crusing, the engine is recharging the battery because of the second motor/generator. Essentially you have 3 motors attached to a planetary gear set CVT (not belt cvt) thus doing everything all at once (or at least make it seem that way, you can't actually but its close).

This is one of the reasons its the best hybrid system around, because it is truly seamless. You don't have a drop off in power like in separate systems, and you still have a psuedo ev mode unlike the mild hybrids.
How does the gas engine and electric motor work simultaneously? Wouldn't they fight each other? Never quite understood this.

Sorry that www.toyota.com isn't good enough for you.

Here's the quotes on my policy for a 2024 gas Camry vs. a hybrid. Hardly a wallet breaker.

@supton if your wife is assigned to the Camry and you to the Corolla in your policy, it's likely that is why it's more expensive. Women are cheaper to insure than men, and maybe there is something with that previous claim that affects price as well

4CAB7C9C-3E71-4114-9111-C492CCDD4DC6.jpeg

AFE59AF5-EE1A-4E10-B6FB-72796AC65C86.jpeg

How does the gas engine and electric motor work simultaneously? Wouldn't they fight each other? Never quite understood this.
They get summed together, almost like a differential in reverse. Weber auto, on youtube, has some videos on them.

Toyota is UGLY. But of course, their cult following will love everything they put out, even if it looks hideous junk.

Had my little Toyota hybrid since Black Friday. (Corolla cross hybrid)
I am nothing but impressed for my 46 mile each way commute. Averaging 43 mpg on commuting days and enjoying the responsiveness and drivability.

Back