2021 Ford Bronco Is Here, and It's Everything You Hoped For

The 97:1 crawl ratio with the 7 speed and lower geared transmission is insane. That puts the Rubicon to shame. That low, combined with the torque from the 2.3T and it's going to be awesome!

I really do not care for the suspension or steering, though. But I'm sure it won't be long before it has a steering box and a solid axle.

More competition the better. I want to read the reviews and see how it actually performs.

I have read elsewhere that Ford wants to make Bronco more of a brand than just a single model vehicle. We might see all kinds of Bronco branded stuff.

The 97:1 crawl ratio with the 7 speed and lower geared transmission is insane. That puts the Rubicon to shame. That low, combined with the torque from the 2.3T and it's going to be awesome!

I really do not care for the suspension or steering, though. But I'm sure it won't be long before it has a steering box and a solid axle.

It does, on paper. But why? I can tell you I've NEVER been in a situation, even in my JK Rubicon, whose crawl ratio is less than my JL Rubicon, where I said, "Gee, I wish I had lower gearing." The Rubicon is geared low enough to pull my house off its foundation. I've climbed the steepest climbs and done technical trails, from Metal Masher to Poison Spider, to thick forests of Michigan to deep gumbo mud in Kentucky, and I've never, ever needed lower gearing, even with the anemic 3.8 engine in the JK. I think they did this to say they beat Rubicon in the marketing materials.

The one thing that might be nice for that crawler gear would be pulling a boat up a launch ramp, but that's if it can be used in 2wd. In fact, 2wd or 4hi is the only place I think it would be useful. First gear low range should be low enough to do anything you could possibly want to do or anything the vehicle is capable of doing.

Still, I like the innovation. Another one is that rear wheel lock in 4 low for turning. Interesting idea. But once again, I've never once been in a situation where I thought that would have made a difference, even on tight muddy trails of Drummond Island. Seems like a cool concept, but not of much real world use. Great for marketing folks, though.

Another thing I really like is the saved trail maps in the nav system. I use a Garmin Overlander for that now. I can make trails in the Rubicon's Uconnect, and save them, but I can't download anything. I did see many Moab trails on the Uconnect, though. But it is hit or miss. I wonder if Ford lets you download GPX files?

I also like that they offer 35" tires from the factory. I had to add a lift and do a few minor things to dial it in for 35's on my JL. It turned out to be excellent, but it would be nice to drive it off the lot and not have to tweak it.

My father bought a new Bronco V8 in 1973. I inherited it when he passed in 1991. I've owned older cars that retain their charm- everything from a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe to a 2002, but I never saw the allure of the original Bronco; I sold it in 1993 without regret. And it's not that I don't like truly competent off-road vehicles, as I've owned a 1999 Sahara TJ since 2002- and I love it. The new Bronco may be a big deal, but not for me. If I buy another off-road vehicle it will be a JL with the upcoming V8 option.

As a Jeep guy who has owned several Wranglers and a Gladiator, here's my take:

I like:

-Marine grade seats
-Mirrors on the A-pillars
-TORQUE without having to go diesel
-They made it true to the original in appearance
-Base price is amazing
-Can take the doors with you in case of a storm
-3 section hard top would be easy to remove for one person
-Sasquatch package is stand-alone, not a trim level that costs $$$$$ like on the Jeep

I still disagree that it will be more reliable. Watch and see....I'm well versed in Ford vehicles and I can promise you this thing will have serious teething issues for a few years.

As a Jeep guy who has owned several Wranglers and a Gladiator, here's my take:

I like:

-Marine grade seats
-Mirrors on the A-pillars
-TORQUE without having to go diesel
-They made it true to the original in appearance
-Base price is amazing
-Can take the doors with you in case of a storm
-3 section hard top would be easy to remove for one person
-Sasquatch package is stand-alone, not a trim level that costs $$$$$ like on the Jeep

I still disagree that it will be more reliable. Watch and see....I'm well versed in Ford vehicles and I can promise you this thing will have serious teething issues for a few years.

It will definitely start to rust within a year or two. I know a few people who had the last run of Focuses out of that plant, and in the facebook 2019 Ranger group, there's a ton of people with paint problems and rust after only a year or two!

Looks like Ford nailed it.

No it's not. No Granny Low 7-Speed Manual with the 2.7EB, No solid front axle. I'll give them a pass on not having competition available for the 392 Wrangler. But I doubt we see the 7.3 Godzilla anytime soon.

I was exited about a V6 with the manual tranny, but if not now ...maybe latter? That gearbox will handle a bunch of torque. I guess they can’t certify the power train for the 1% of us that might buy it?

I bet they sell, but not at Wrangler numbers, especially if this V8 version is true. Most recent story I read was from an insider that said FCA had built 30 V8 test mules, and that there's no way that would happen with a concept that had no intention of being produced. Keep in mind, this is the same FCA that just released the Durango with the 707 horse Hemi in it.... those guys literally don't care what model it is, they're stuffing a Hemi in it and somehow getting the bean counters upstairs to let them do it.

I was just browsing the Ford website last night, and I can easily say that all I would need is a base 2dr Bronco with the 4 banger and manual trans, with the Sasquatch package thrown on. Nothing else, just that. Sweeeet little truck.

I bet they sell, but not at Wrangler numbers, especially if this V8 version is true. Most recent story I read was from an insider that said FCA had built 30 V8 test mules, and that there's no way that would happen with a concept that had no intention of being produced. Keep in mind, this is the same FCA that just released the Durango with the 707 horse Hemi in it.... those guys literally don't care what model it is, they're stuffing a Hemi in it and somehow getting the bean counters upstairs to let them do it.

I was just browsing the Ford website last night, and I can easily say that all I would need is a base 2dr Bronco with the 4 banger and manual trans, with the Sasquatch package thrown on. Nothing else, just that. Sweeeet little truck.
Would not want a Hemi Wrangler … with 4:1 TC, 4.10 diffs … and 8 speed … the V6 or I4T are great engines …

Would not want a Hemi Wrangler … with 4:1 TC, 4.10 diffs … and 8 speed … the V6 or I4T are great engines …

I can honestly say I wouldn't want any Wrangler. I don't care for them, never have. I've driven everything from a CJ-5 to the last model before the current ones, and I can't stand them. Honestly, driving them all is basically the same. Crap ride quality, crap interior, crap engines (except the 4.0 I6, of course), and overpriced to boot. That being said, there's a reason they sell and I completely understand it. They're accepted for what they are, and they do a very good job of accomplishing their given function.

I'll call it right now: Jeep makes a limited run of the Hemi Wranglers the first year, sells every single one at over MSRP, then extends production thereafter due to demand. Just saying... Jeep guys like having the best and biggest they can, regardless of model. Not exactly apples to apples, but look how many SRT GC's have been sold (regular and Track Hawk) vs. something like an AMG of like-size. I'm not up on Mercedes models, but I'l sure there's one. Not a totally fair comparison, but then again there's only a handful of SUV's out there with 435-707 HP. If you build it... they will come.

I can honestly say I wouldn't want any Wrangler. I don't care for them, never have.

I thought the same but rented a JL a few months ago and it was sweet. I was ready to buy before I realized the Rubicon I was driving was over $50k :oops:

But I can totally see why people love them. Awesome vehicle.

This idea that a V8 Wrangler will save the day is a joke.

Jeep already has good engine options, is already well established and very capable. A Hemi is not required.

This idea that a V8 Wrangler will save the day is a joke.

Jeep already has good engine options, is already well established and very capable. A Hemi is not required.
Google up Hitler finds out about Ford Bronco

Back