2019 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GDI, 5,750 OCI PP 5w-20. Engine failed 5k later.

I guess they haven't learned their lesson. I ran 10w30 in my Sonata with the 2.4 and never had an issue, but despite the lifetime engine warranty, I dumped it at 95K. I had other reasons beside the engine, although the engine certainly entered into my thinking. It was a stick (last year-2012) and my wife hated it for that, even though she could drive stick, having had lived in Brazil until her 30s. I had also hit a deer with it and it needed $1500 in bodywork, plus the brakes needed to be done, and frankly, I was bored with it. I would also say the AC was somewhat marginal for Texas which didn't exactly endear it to me.

It used about half a quart in 5000 mile OCIs. Was pretty often abused, banging gears on a slow car makes it more fun so I did pretty frequently. It would catch a 2nd gear scratch if you executed the 1-2 shift at redline.

The automatics get better mileage, highest I ever got was 35 running I-10@75mph along the gulf coast, almost perfectly flat. 32 was more typical, and 26-27 around town. The guys I know who had autos got 37-38 easy on the highway, but whatever. I'd still take the stick today.

I did one UOA, it's around here somewhere, was fine on what was apparently 5w20 at the time I got it (8.0 cst) but I never went back to Xw20.

I like the 6 sigma reference!
although I would think rod bearing failure would manifest itself as high aluminum, if anything, with today's bearing metals.
Maybe. It is completely dependent on the failure. Some failures I saw in college on aluminum components showed no indication on a spectrographic analysis since the particles were either too large or the failure was sudden.

Maybe. It is completely dependent on the failure. Some failures I saw in college on aluminum components showed no indication on a spectrographic analysis since the particles were either too large or the failure was sudden.
I should qualify that and say “a spectrographic analysis without a digestion”.

Ditched our 2019 Tucson 2.0 in November. So glad we did.....

Will never buy a Hyundai again. My son has a 2019 Santa Fe he bought b used in September. I did the first oil change for him at 4K (44k on engine.). Oil level stayed full, so the 2.4 non turbo seems okay so far. Using 5W-30 Napa synthetic and OEM filter. Sticking with 4K OCI.

I had a ‘21 Sonata I got new. Made it to 6,201 miles. The dealer had 15 bays in their garage. The entire right side had Tucson’s, Elantra’s, and Sonata’s up getting their engines or transmissions replaced. Their GM brought me back to show me my car and I was shocked. He wasn’t. He just shrugged when I made mention of it.

The dealer bought it back and I ran from Kia/Hyundai. I understand some people have decent vehicles with them, but I’m the third person I know to have a pile of junk from that manufacturer.
Yeah I use to work for hyundai in parts/service. Our dealership only had 4 bays but it was a constant stream of engine replacements. At least the sonatas and santa fes got longblocks. The tucsons and elantras you could only get shortblocks.

Are the 22's and up okay? I'm sure Hyundai has to be seeing the light of these engines. Don't use them anymore.

What are they using now?

Are the 22's and up okay? I'm sure Hyundai has to be seeing the light of these engines. Don't use them anymore.

What are they using now?
Since its introduction, the new Theta III (Smartstream) engines (vs the Theta II ref 'd in this thread) have had no TSB, recalls or Forum alerts for engine failure related items.

Yeah I use to work for hyundai in parts/service. Our dealership only had 4 bays but it was a constant stream of engine replacements. At least the sonatas and santa fes got longblocks. The tucsons and elantras you could only get shortblocks.
It’s wild. I can’t believe they just continue producing junk without addressing all of their issues. Sad thing was, while I had my Sonata and it was working fine, it was the most enjoyable sedan I had ever driven.

This is my uoa from earlier this year. About 5k miles after this the shortblock got replaced at hyundai. I use to work at a hyundai dealership, but I was surprised to see this one fail at such a low mileage. Currently, the car has PP 5w-20. I am considering switching to either 5w-30 M1 EP or PP Euro L.

View attachment 184183
Our Hyundai Sonata wouldn’t run after we had… 6,201 miles on the odometer. The dealer bought it back from us for what we paid after Hyundai refused. Dealer said they’d deal with Hyundai.

First and last Hyundai/Kia we’ll ever own.

FWIW, that same dealer brought me into their service lane while they were initially working on our car. They had 8 Tucson/Sonata/Elantra on lifts with either their engine or transmission out of it. I remarked about it and he confirmed this was not unusual.

Watch Wes Work just posted a video of him swapping an engine out on a 2019 Tucson w/ 112K miles on it. The failure was a hole though a piston. For reasons not mentioned, there was no warranty on this particular 2019. Per Wes, a new ~$6500 engine is not available. Indefinite back order kind of thing. He installed a ~$5000 used engine w/ ~75K miles on it for this customer. He was surprised how easy the engine R/R was compared to most.

What a sad thing with these Hyundai/Kia products. I had a 2008 Santa Fe 2.7L 4AT, 4x4 years ago that was a great vehicle, but I only owned it until about 80K miles. I couldn't imagine having to put ~$7K into a 2019 with just over 100K miles on it!!

I used blackstone, and they said I had 1% fuel. Sent the same oil to Oil Analyzers, and got 4%.
Flashpoint sub 300 is so bad I don't even wanna talk about it.
Yeah from my experience Blackstone is about 3 times lower on their fuel dilution reporting than other labs that use the GC method to determine fuel dilution. So if they report 2.0%, it is more than likely 6.0%...😳 That's a huge difference in my opinion.

I had a enterprise car sales, 2015 Tuscon. after a couple of years problem developed. check the oil todal and it is over filled. tomorrow and it it almost dry. next day overfilled. I believe the manufactured deburring problem had splinters in the oil passages and occasionally blocked the oil from circulating. I change the oil myself and had no receipts so Hyun dai would not honor the engine recall. Then I asked if I could "Buy" a new engine. They had none for sale.

Every one of my parents three Hyundais had a failed engine. 3 for 3. One at 5k, one at 111k, one at 127k. None of their other cars has had an engine failure.

😆😂🤣 they didn’t learn to avoid these Korean pieces of broken turds after the very FIRST engine failure???

They didn’t learn after the second engine failure and thought that maybe 3rd time’s the charm and hoped it wouldn’t BLOW UP?!?! 🤨🤦🏻‍♂️

I recently did valve covers and a leaky oil cooler housing on an 09 Santa Fe… What a terrible vehicle to work on. Every other bolt was a “*** were they thinking when they designed this”, moment. 😤😡🤬

IMG_4804.jpeg

IMG_4808.jpeg

IMG_4809.jpeg

IMG_4812.jpeg

IMG_4801.jpeg

I recently did valve covers and a leaky oil cooler housing on an 09 Santa Fe… What a terrible vehicle to work on. Every other bolt was a “*** were they thinking when they designed this”, moment. 😤😡🤬
When I worked at hyundai some lady bought a new sonata and came in for her first oil change at 30,000 miles. I wish I still had the pictures of the oil and filter.

If you do buy one I recommend nothing lower than 0w-40 and premium gas, most of the GDI engines will knock on regular and 5w-20 doesn't give sufficient wear protection.
Never tried M1 0W40 or QS Euro 5W40 (yet) in my 2017 Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine . Max OCI was 5K miles / 6 months , now I’m in that 3.5K to 4K mile / 6 month OCI range with M1 5W30 EP or Valvoline Advanced 5W30 and high efficiency oil filter (Fram Ultra) . Top Tier Shell or Chevron regular grade seems to run fine in the 2.4L GDI (although premium grade seems to offer better power / response) .

😆😂🤣 they didn’t learn to avoid these Korean pieces of broken turds after the very FIRST engine failure???

They didn’t learn after the second engine failure and thought that maybe 3rd time’s the charm and hoped it wouldn’t BLOW UP?!?! 🤨🤦🏻‍♂️

View attachment 201839

View attachment 201841

View attachment 201842

View attachment 201843

View attachment 201844
That looks well cared for.....

Back