2019 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GDI, 5,750 OCI PP 5w-20. Engine failed 5k later.

I'm pretty sure it was the connecting rod bearings.

At the dealership, we had sooo many pallets of blown engines. Hopefully, Hyundai fixed their problems with the new smartstream engines. I no longer work for Hyundai so I am out of the loop.
I'm pretty confident they have. No Forum blow-ups or recalls of that nature for the Smartstream's. Additionally, i owned ThetaII, Nu etc., for over 13 years. Some with very high miles. They were all very reliable. But i understand their issues.

it was before the new block.
I read the part where it said

"This is my uoa from earlier this year. About 5k miles after this the shortblock got replaced at hyundai."

But then the title said

"2019 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GDI, 5,750 OCI PP 5w-20. Engine failed 5k later."

I guess it was a 50/50 guess which way this went. lol Now I know. Thanks!

I read the part where it said

"This is my uoa from earlier this year. About 5k miles after this the shortblock got replaced at hyundai."

But then the title said

"2019 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GDI, 5,750 OCI PP 5w-20. Engine failed 5k later."

I guess it was a 50/50 guess which way this went. lol Now I know. Thanks!
not sure what you are misreading but... you are still misreading it ;)

--5k miles after this (UOA) engine was replaced by hyundai

2019 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GDI, 5,750 OCI PP 5w-20. Engine failed 5k later

-- Engine failed 5k later (after uoa)

Ah, I get it now... Thanks!! 💡🍻

You had me scratching my head too…I thought for a second maybe I had misread it 🤣

I’ve come to the point where I don’t believe much at all regarding a Blackstone analysis. Viscosity nor flashpoint.

As to using a 30-grade, increased MOFT is not a bad thing.

What exactly don’t you believe about the report? 🤨🤔

I, along with plenty of others have done back to back analysis of the same oil between two labs or more. Everything is within normal tolerance between equipment. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I dont understand this bashing of blackstone and their unorthodox way of measuring fuel. It’s close enough. 😤

You seriously going to freak out over a percent or two?! 😑😒

If they were showing 280F flashpoint and posting 2% fuel, I can understand us raising an eyebrow because that’s clearly absurd.

You can clearly tell this oil has SOME fuel in it based on the FP they got and that is GOOD ENOUGH to interpret the OVERALL condition of this oil. Viscosity is fine. Wear is fine. These engines fail outta the blue. Obviously the failure happened 5,000 mile after this UOA and no lab could have predicted that because there’s no indication of any BOOM in this report. 😎

I, along with plenty of others have done back to back analysis of the same oil between two labs or more. Everything is within normal tolerance between equipment. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I dont understand this bashing of blackstone and their unorthodox way of measuring fuel. It’s close enough. 😤

If they were showing 280F flashpoint and posting 2% fuel, I can understand us raising an eyebrow because that’s clearly absurd.

You can clearly tell this oil has SOME fuel in it based on the FP they got and that is GOOD ENOUGH to interpret the OVERALL condition of this oil. Viscosity is fine. Wear is fine. These engines fail outta the blue. Obviously the failure happened 5,000 mile after this UOA and no lab could have predicted that because there’s no indication of any BOOM in this report. 😎
Because they have been off on everything here, everything from spectrographic analysis to viscosity to flashpoint (and their subsequent estimations of fuel dilution). It’s not unorthodox, it’s an ASTM procedure. It’s just inaccurate that’s all.

You say it all is within normal tolerances, what are the tolerances on each test?

I thought H/K had their engine issues resolved by 2019 but I guess not. I really liked our 2008 Elantra but I wouldn’t buy a new H/K vehicle now.
lol hyundai/kia would rather just keep replacing motors under their 100k warranty and go to court than to spend R&D fixing their engines. What costs more? Billions on ground up engine design when you are trying to go full electric, or a new motor for 50% of the cars still on the road? Most of the fixes were designed to make the engine last just ab it longer, past that 100k mile warranty, and then when a customer does complain, they shrug and say "well its old, 100k miles, what did you expect?"

My friend recently got a free kia optima, that engine blew at exactly 102k miles. Spun a bearing. He only drove it for 5000 miles -ish. My other friend got a salvage elantra 2.0, nothing but issues, even though he built it for like 4 grand. Coil packs failed twice, oil burning a lot, fuel dilution, all sorts of strange gremlins, only 60k on the odo. Stay clear of them if you value your time and money.

I used blackstone, and they said I had 1% fuel. Sent the same oil to Oil Analyzers, and got 4%.
Flashpoint sub 300 is so bad I don't even wanna talk about it.

lol hyundai/kia would rather just keep replacing motors under their 100k warranty and go to court than to spend R&D fixing their engines. What costs more? Billions on ground up engine design when you are trying to go full electric, or a new motor for 50% of the cars still on the road? Most of the fixes were designed to make the engine last just ab it longer, past that 100k mile warranty, and then when a customer does complain, they shrug and say "well its old, 100k miles, what did you expect?"

My friend recently got a free kia optima, that engine blew at exactly 102k miles. Spun a bearing. He only drove it for 5000 miles -ish. My other friend got a salvage elantra 2.0, nothing but issues, even though he built it for like 4 grand. Coil packs failed twice, oil burning a lot, fuel dilution, all sorts of strange gremlins, only 60k on the odo. Stay clear of them if you value your time and money.
I just did the oil change on my sister's 18 Sonata 2.4L 75k mi. 5k miles on the oil and only 1 QT drained out 😑.

I have a 2.0L NU GDI in my Tuscon..

It uses about half a quart of 10w30 Maxlife with 3500 miles in between oil changes.

This vehicle has an extended engine warranty because I completed all the recalls with it, but I need to keep records of maintenance, so I let valvoline change the oil for me.

I'm pretty sure it was the connecting rod bearings.

At the dealership, we had sooo many pallets of blown engines. Hopefully, Hyundai fixed their problems with the new smartstream engines. I no longer work for Hyundai so I am out of the loop.
Sorry this happened to you Hyundai is having laws suit after law suit for engine issues poor engineering no matter what Oil you used would have saved this issue

Because they have been off on everything here, everything from spectrographic analysis to viscosity to flashpoint (and their subsequent estimations of fuel dilution). It’s not unorthodox, it’s an ASTM procedure. It’s just inaccurate that’s all.

You say it all is within normal tolerances, what are the tolerances on each test?
You don't get accurate FD readings at Polaris Labs either. You ALWAYS have to call for interpretation and demand the advanced test that is more accurate. Even if you ask you are specifically wanting the advanced FD test in the notes section they don't do it.

5,750 OCI PP 5w-20​

There's two problems right there.
1) Should have done 3k-3.5k OCIs
2) 5w20 is too thin.
Either 5/10w30 or 0w40 would be much better choices at wear protection. Thicker is better for Hyunkia's.

Also, you mentioned your sister's car and only one quart drained out at the time of the oil change.
Well this is Problem #3.
Always raise the hood and check the dipstick oil level every 500 miles. The Korean four cylinders become oil-starved early. Never let that dipstick level fall below a half-quart low.

5,750 OCI PP 5w-20​

There's two problems right there.
1) Should have done 3k-3.5k OCIs
2) 5w20 is too thin.
Either 5/10w30 or 0w40 would be much better choices at wear protection. Thicker is better for Hyunkia's.

Also, you mentioned your sister's car and only one quart drained out at the time of the oil change.
Well this is Problem #3.
Always raise the hood and check the dipstick oil level every 500 miles. The Korean four cylinders become oil-starved early. Never let that dipstick level fall below a half-quart low.
Well she visited for the holidays. I checked her oil and it was barely on the dipstick. She also thought the oil pressure light was the oil change light o_O. I added 3qts of oil. She is the original owner so I will post when she gets a new engine. Car has 78k miles on it.

This is my uoa from earlier this year. About 5k miles after this the shortblock got replaced at hyundai. I use to work at a hyundai dealership, but I was surprised to see this one fail at such a low mileage. Currently, the car has PP 5w-20. I am considering switching to either 5w-30 M1 EP or PP Euro L.

View attachment 184183
I had a ‘21 Sonata I got new. Made it to 6,201 miles. The dealer had 15 bays in their garage. The entire right side had Tucson’s, Elantra’s, and Sonata’s up getting their engines or transmissions replaced. Their GM brought me back to show me my car and I was shocked. He wasn’t. He just shrugged when I made mention of it.

The dealer bought it back and I ran from Kia/Hyundai. I understand some people have decent vehicles with them, but I’m the third person I know to have a pile of junk from that manufacturer.

Back