Mobil1 Euro FS 5w-40 API SP / 5120 mi. / 2018 Buick Tour-X 2.0 TGDI

Topic oil is Mobil1 Euro FS 5w-40 API SP, purchased at Walmart. I wanted a thicker oil to run in this 2.0T (LTG) engine, but given thicker weights are not approved for Dexos1, API SP was important to me due to LSPI concerns. There is also a M1 Euro FSx2 5w-40 available (VOAs on this board) which does not meet API SP, I deliberately avoided that one. M1 0w-40 is a no-go as it has high calcium.

Bought the car in March which is approaching 80K miles now, so this is the first UOA I've done on the vehicle. Oil change interval was just over 5K miles (OLM read around 30%). Filter used was a Wix WL10290XP. Mostly highway miles, but with plenty of spirited driving thrown in. I also installed a Trifecta tune somewhat early in the OCI.

Pretty impressed with the results and the additive package seems plenty compatible with T-GDI; I was never able to find a VOA for this oil beforehand. Was surprised at the resulting viscosity having gone down a grade in the absence of fuel dilution. I can't help but wonder whether a 30 grade oil would shear down to 20 weight in use.

Changed oil with the same, will probably run it to 6-7K this time.
IMG_2324.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did they say the dexos 1 was causing the low oil viscosity. There can't be that much of a discrepancy regarding the wet and dry sump capacity meaning that there's enough old oil to dilute it that much.

I would say great numbers other than the viscosity. What is spirited driving.

I suspect Castrol Edge 5w40 would hold its viscosity better than this lower tier Mobil offering. It’s also SP.

I concur though, other than viscosity it’s a good report.

I suspect Castrol Edge 5w40 would hold its viscosity better than this lower tier Mobil offering. It’s also SP.
Based on what I've been reading here, it seems that Blackstone has some issues with accurately measuring viscosity. I would recommend using Wearcheck or Polaris (by purchasing an AMSOIL UOA kit) as an alternative.

Otherwise, the results look very good. However, the original poster might not benefit from using a full-SAPS, old-school European oil. If I had a TGDI engine, I would be more inclined to try an oil that is Dexos 2 certified or one that carries an MB 229.52 approval. Given that everything is so expensive these days, I would give Valvoline XL-III 5W-30 a try.

Last edited:
the original poster might not benefit from using a full-SAPS, old-school European oil. If I had a TGDI engine, I would be more inclined to try an oil that is Dexos 2 certified or one that carries an MB 229.52 approval.
Judging by the additive package, I wouldn't consider this an old-school European oil; I think Mobil1 0w-40 takes that place. That said, I'm no expert, so am open to thoughts as to whether this oil is a bad choice for the engine.

Can't argue with these results. Pardon my ignorance but is your Buick 2.0L rear wheel drive?
It's AWD. Has a transverse engine w/ Aisin 8 speed auto with a GKN twinster rear drive unit that operates using electronically controlled clutches. Same rear "differential" as the Ford Focus RS, some Land Rovers, and a few other makes had them.

I would say great numbers other than the viscosity. What is spirited driving.
Having fun with it on a daily basis-- as much fun as you can have with a wagon that is. Couple sprints to redline and some full throttle passing maneuvers each day I drive it is the norm.

Last edited:
I wanted one of these. Buick was practically given them away because of low interest. Another one of the cool GM offerings that didn’t sell well because they didn’t advertise it was an Opel AWD wagon rebranded as a Buick in NA.

Judging by the additive package, I wouldn't consider this an old-school European oil; I think Mobil1 0w-40 takes that place. That said, I'm no expert, so am open to thoughts as to whether this oil is a bad choice for the engine.
I meant "old school" in the sense that it's a full SAPS ACEA A3/B4 motor oil. The formulation, however, is as modern as it can get.

Mobil reformulated the entire FS lineup to use the same additive package, and they even have an FS 5W-30 offering, which, oddly enough, is sold exclusively at AAP. The FS 5W-30 is API SL licensed, but the container says that it meets the API SP engine test requirements, which is another way of saying that it's actually an API SP formulation.

You should be able to find the FS 0W-40 easily at Walmart, and use that. It is a blend of PAO, GTL, and AN, rather than Group III and AN, as the FS 5W-40 is. Otherwise, both utilize the same additive chemistry now and have the same OEM approvals and API SP licenses.

It's AWD. Has a transverse engine w/ Aisin 8 speed auto with a GKN twinster rear drive unit that operates using electronically controlled clutches. Same rear "differential" as the Ford Focus RS, some Land Rovers, and a few other makes had them.
Thanks! But it sounds like a Transverse engine with a Rear Wheel Drive setup? Or is it an All wheel drive?

92saturnsl2:

Thanks for posting!

“Topic oil is Mobil1 Euro FS 5w-40 API SP, purchased at Walmart. I wanted a thicker oil to run in this 2.0T (LTG) engine, but given thicker weights are not approved for Dexos1, API SP was important to me due to LSPI concerns. There is also a M1 Euro FSx2 5w-40 available (VOAs on this board) which does not meet API SP, I deliberately avoided that one. M1 0w-40 is a no-go as it has high calcium.”

What’s the issue with high calcium?

GM was one of the early adopters of GDI engines and LSPI was a big issue which was later determined to be caused by high calcium and/or sodium additives in engine oil-- which prompted them to create the Dexos1 spec. The engine in question (2.0T LTG) had issues cracking pistons in its first couple years (2013-2015ish), largely due to this issue. GM revised the pistons later on, but being a power dense T-GDI engine, they are still very susceptible to LSPI (low speed pre-ignition).

Thanks! But it sounds like a Transverse engine with a Rear Wheel Drive setup? Or is it an All wheel drive?
It drives the front wheels at all times, and also sends power to the rear at all times via a conventional driveshaft. There is a PTU (power transfer unit) mated to the transmission that that rear driveshaft connects to.

The only real difference between any other AWD car/CUV (w/ transverse engine) is the rear doesn't have a conventional differential; it's electronically controlled and uses clutches to direct power to each rear axle independently.

This article explains it fairly well (Buick Regal Tour-X is a rebranded Opel Insignia which the article discusses): https://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/01/20170111-gtwinster.html

92saturnsl2:

Thanks for posting!

“Topic oil is Mobil1 Euro FS 5w-40 API SP, purchased at Walmart. I wanted a thicker oil to run in this 2.0T (LTG) engine, but given thicker weights are not approved for Dexos1, API SP was important to me due to LSPI concerns. There is also a M1 Euro FSx2 5w-40 available (VOAs on this board) which does not meet API SP, I deliberately avoided that one. M1 0w-40 is a no-go as it has high calcium.”

Mobil 1 0w40 SP no longer has high calcium.

Moly 71
Boron 145
Magnesium 1140
Calcium 1443
Phos 927
Zinc 1026

Viscosity at 100C 13.4 cSt

Base No. 10.4

Oxidation 7
Nitration 7

Mobil 1 0w40 SP no longer has high calcium.
I think I read that a time or two on this board, but the trick is finding store shelves cleared of the old stuff.

At my local Walmart, I consider any M1 0w-40 prior to SP to be the old formula, and that's all they've had. Buying online is a gamble because you never know if what you're going to receive matches the images exactly. Often the image will show SP and you receive SN(+) for example and its not worth the headache to send back.

I will definitely keep any eye out for the SP version of M1 0w-40, and appreciate all the info provided on the different formulas. Keep them coming. If there's other brands that fit this criteria (higher HTHS viscosity, LSPI friendly) I'd love to know about them. I feel like I've done my due diligence browsing the Walmart shelves (and taking a gamble online is the only other option that meets my price criteria) and M1 5w-40 FS is all I've come up with so far that meets SP.

There is likely more fuel here than BS shows...BS doesn't test for it directly so keep that in mind. FP at 435 does look pretty good though (low means more fuel). I have a VOA of this oil in the VOA sub-forum you should easily be able to find searching.

There is likely more fuel here than BS shows...BS doesn't test for it directly so keep that in mind. FP at 435 does look pretty good though (low means more fuel). I have a VOA of this oil in the VOA sub-forum you should easily be able to find searching.

🤨 It’s a combustion GDI engine… of course there’s fuel in the oil. 😒

I think it’s more likely that this oil has sheared from 5,000 miles of enjoyable daily driving.

All things considered, I think this report looks Amazing. This engine seems very healthy and well Lubricated.

Back