2018 Toyota Camry LE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could wait for the next Camry version and be one up on the 2018 version. You'll have 50-60K then. In my state license fees go down as years go by. Plus they tax a new car purchase. I wonder if it isn't just newversionitis like hits Apple iPhone users, seems like very often?

There are several car vehicle review sites and books out there and like oil or beer or almost any consumer productthere is no "best one" Reviews are a rough guide at best. I have looked at Edmonds, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Consumer digest and Consumer Reports. They are something to consider and a nice guide but all have their biases. Whatever the review souse they are a guide at best. no substitute for several test drives in both night and day before making a major decision.

I was able to put just shy of 550K on a 94 Camry, with minimal maintenance. had to replace 2 radiators and several window motors, but not a single engine issue. AC did go out at 300K mark but I never replaced it just went without AC. Body and paint was pretty worn, but engine and trans was still going strong at 550K.. body rust finally forced it to the auto graveyard. probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. I will be more than happy if any of my current 3 vehicles go 550K, though now being retired I do not put on over 3-to 4K per year on any of them.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I was able to put just shy of 550K on a 94 Camry, with minimal maintenance. had to replace 2 radiators and several window motors, but not a single engine issue. AC did go out at 300K mark but I never replaced it just went without AC. Body and paint was pretty worn, but engine and trans was still going strong at 550K.. body rust finally forced it to the auto graveyard. probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. I will be more than happy if any of my current 3 vehicles go 550K, though now being retired I do not put on over 3-to 4K per year on any of them.

Can't compare that era of Camry. Toyota issued a recall on that car, stating something like no one should ever drive a car that long. Those things are what every one talks about when they say Toyota is reliable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Your 2012 will likely still be running when a 2018 is in the junk yard.

Absolutely not true.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: Danh
I would wait for the 2018 Mazda6.

And then the OP could be a Beta Tester for new-for-2018 cylinder deactivation on the Skyactiv-G. First time on a 4 cylinder engine here: what could go wrong?

Right. They're sure to explode under warranty.

That's our standard now? As long as they last thru warranty?

I would wait for the 2018 Mazda6.

And then the OP could be a Beta Tester for new-for-2018 cylinder deactivation on the Skyactiv-G. First time on a 4 cylinder engine here: what could go wrong?

Right. They're sure to explode under warranty.

That's our standard now? As long as they last thru warranty?

No but the OP of this thread doesn't make it out of warranty miles in 5 years.

Originally Posted By: kam327
How sad that Consumer Reports is your only reference for car reviews.

"Although family-sedan shoppers who prize driving engagement will be better served by a Honda Accord or a Mazda 6..."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-toyota-camry-se-25l-test-review

Car and Driver? Ha! Thanks for the laugh!
crazy.gif

Haven't seen much talk about those cars on here at all.

Originally Posted By: kam327
Why are you stuck on the Camry? Especially since you obviously don't keep them for 20 years / 200k miles? The Honda Accord and Mazda6 are better choices. IMHO that spaceship-looking dash is horrid.

+1. I'm sure a dealer won't give a good trade, and then you've got to deal with odd ergonomics for the next six years.

Originally Posted By: BJD78

Suffering for 250k miles without AC seems pretty silly, andnit the makings of a best car...

I still see lots of 91 Camrys and mid 90's toyotas as well still on the road around here, many Hondas and Subarus from the 90s still going strong aside from body rust. Would be interesting to see if these ne 2018 models will still be going after 20 years. Naturally dealers and car manufacturers do not want people keeping cars for 20 plus years and hundreds of thousand of miles. In many rural areas there are still many Ford and chevy and GM trucks from the 70's and 80'still going strong. Dealers probably hate people like me who buy used and keep vehicles for many many years.

"Suffering for 250k miles without AC seems pretty silly, andnit the makings of a best car."

Nope, no suffering at all. Was not an issue by that point that Camry was just a work car and we had other vehicles with good AC. Not worth it to me to
toss money at it for AC at that point. Besides here in Lincoln Ne you need a good heater more than AC. A broken heater would be a show stopper... AC, not so much.

Originally Posted By: marine65
Motor trend tested the new Camry and Accord side by side.
Their conclusion was that Toyota built a better Camry but Honda built a better car.
As one poster remarked even Motor Trend said the Camry door shutting was hollow while the Accord sounded more solid.
Personally i like the looks of the Camry better.Much better looking then the old model.

so people buy cars based on the thud sound from closing a door LOL

man anyone who uses the rags to decide on a car , guess they cant think for themselves.

“so people buy cars based on the thud sound from closing a door LOL”

“man anyone who uses the rags to decide on a car , guess they cant think for themselves.”

That’s a helpful comment. (Nope). Actually opening and closing a door tells a lot. A well sealed door closed with a solid thunk. It also keeps out more sound. Since we all cannot check the glue joints and zipper welds we have to go by what we can see and feel.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
“so people buy cars based on the thud sound from closing a door LOL”

“man anyone who uses the rags to decide on a car , guess they cant think for themselves.”

That’s a helpful comment. (Nope). Actually opening and closing a door tells a lot. A well sealed door closed with a solid thunk. It also keeps out more sound. Since we all cannot check the glue joints and zipper welds we have to go by what we can see and feel.

yeh right, a non-repeatable random test(if you want to call it that LOL) is a metrix for build quality, man these rags have brain washed and dumbed down car buying to the public.

if I was concerned about noise, I would look at the weather srips and seals around the jams and take the car for a ride, of course my SRT, I prefer to hear the 6.4 hemi sing, I didnt consider listening to door thuds, guess I better get a subscription to CR LOL for latest car purchasing advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back