2014 F-150 Ecoboost 3.5 Tuned UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is the UOA from my 2014 Ecoboost F-150 Limited. This truck has a performance tune from 5 star tuning. I used the 91 & 93 performance tune during this oil change and have a 170 degree thermostat installed probably half of the oil change interval.

The oil used was Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 for 4,900 miles.

Everything looks normal from this report, but I'd appreciate any and all feedback from this report.

I am now using the 93 performance/tow tune from 5 star, so it'd be interesting to see what the next UOA reveals.

UOA (2).png

Shorter run, and iron/copper are at universal averages. Make you go hmmm...
May want to try 5W-30 Mobil 1 and see if wear numbers improve.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno

No it does not make you go hmmm. There is nothing alarming about this sample but with running a performance tune a slightly thicker lube will provide a bit more cushion at elevated temps a 40 grade should provide plenty of viscosity reserve.

Im with dave. Im running the 91PRX tune and the BCB adaptive tune which are a lot more umph when compared to 5* historically. I am indeed going to a thicker oil either RGT 5w-30 or the New mobil 0w-40 ESP.

I'd bet money iron and copper will be worse if he switches to Mobil 1.... Care to place a wager? PP will outperform M1 any day of the week...

I got the 5qt jug and oil filter deal on the PP recently so I will contunue to use the PP with the stp extended oil filter. At least for the next two oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by racin4ds

I'd bet money iron and copper will be worse if he switches to Mobil 1.... Care to place a wager? PP will outperform M1 any day of the week...

Once PUP 0w-40 is sn plus (hopefully a drop in Ca) I would be more than happy to buy that. For now I may go esp 0w40. the 5w30 pp is too think for my taste.

If you are running a cooler thermostat I would be sending your oil to another lab that has accurate fuel numbers because you could have fuel dilution going on. Blackstones numbers are "interpreted" not actual measurements and running the engine cooler will make it use more fuel on-top of any extra fueling from your tune so I would want to know that number as accurately as possible as well.

I'm not impressed by the metal counts on a "broken in engine" under this short of an OCI but I don't know what your tune and lower thermostat temperature is doing to skew this so it could be normal.

Last edited:
Sure there is fuel dilution. However if this is the newest version of PP, the viscosity drop isn't that big at all. I could be mistaken. Know dilution is good. If it isn't causing major issues, then nothing to worry much about.

Originally Posted by BTLew81
Sure there is fuel dilution. However if this is the newest version of PP, the viscosity drop isn't that big at all. I could be mistaken. Know dilution is good. If it isn't causing major issues, then nothing to worry much about.

I believe this was the newest PP made for turbocharged engines.

I forgot to mention that I had a Motorcraft oil filter during this UOA.

There is a good point here, PP 5W30 starts at 9.8cSt at 100C so the viscosity shown in this report doesn't represent a huge drop.

It's a Blackstone report so we don't know what the fuel dilution is, just what Blackstone thinks it is based on other measurements and we know this is inaccurate from comparison of other UOA's here.

That does seem too cool for an ecoboost thermostat, your 170F.
What is the stock thermostat? My GM turbo runs at around 190F. I could maybe see going to a 185F, but one would think anything more than 5 degrees F cooler than stock is crazy.
Edit: I see RockAuto sells OEM 190F thermostats like what GM turbos typically use. Man, going to 170F seems too excessive. I guess its fine though.
Originally Posted by covshark
It was dexos1 Gen2 PP, yes. You can tell by the Ca around 1,000 ppm or so, and Mg around 500 ppm, as seen in just about every dexos1 Gen2 LSPI-resistant oil in the world.

That one, made by Purolator for Ford, has a bad reputation for getting holes in the filter media cellulose paper. Use a Fram Ultra or Mobil1 oil filter. or a Wix, napagold, or Royal Purple oil filter, or Amsoil oil filter, or a Purolator Boss version.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
That does seem too cool for an ecoboost thermostat, your 170F.
What is the stock thermostat? My GM turbo runs at around 190F. I could maybe see going to a 185F, but one would think anything more than 5 degrees F cooler than stock is crazy.

It was dexos1 Gen2 PP, yes. You can tell by the Ca around 1,000 ppm or so, and Mg around 500 ppm, as seen in just about every dexos1 Gen2 LSPI-resistant oil in the world.

The stock thermostat was 188F. The tune was adjusted for the 170F thermostat. The temp settles between 180-190F while driving here in central florida. Many performance ecoboost Taurus and F150 run these to cool everything(turbos, block, etc.) more efficiently.

That one, made by Purolator for Ford, has a bad reputation for getting holes in the filter media cellulose paper. Use a Fram Ultra or Mobil1 oil filter. or a Wix, napagold, or Royal Purple oil filter, or Amsoil oil filter, or a Purolator Boss version.

The stock thermostat was 188F. The tune was adjusted for the 170F thermostat. The temp settles between 180-190F while driving here in central florida. Many performance ecoboost Taurus and F150 run these to cool everything(turbos, block, etc.) more efficiently.

Can you link to the media tears in the motorcraft filter? I've been told over and over again that the motorcraft filter is a great filter.

Last edited:
You need to look at fuel dilution with colder thermostat as either one or both are killing your oil. Any synthetic should be able to handle 7500 miles even with a tuner unless it is ran hard. I would not run any further than 6k with this combo.

Originally Posted by tiger862
You need to look at fuel dilution with colder thermostat as either one or both are killing your oil. Any synthetic should be able to handle 7500 miles even with a tuner unless it is ran hard. I would not run any further than 6k with this combo.

Where are you seeing that it is "killing my oil" at 5k miles? Viscosity is within range and flash point is still very high. I dont' know how to ask that question without sounding defensive because you give a very blanket statement without pointing to indicators?

Can you link to the media tears in the motorcraft filter? I've been told over and over again that the motorcraft filter is a great filter.

https://youtu.be/FmRCw4DnvFM
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
They show a filter with a big hole/tear in the media at time 0:54.
And they mention the possibility of filter media causing issues at times 0:48, 1:40 and 1:56 as possibly getting into the VTC system and clogging the screens. Only way that could happen is if media tears and goes into the engine. So they are basically saying that can happen ... with any filter if the filter is neglected and in bypass a lot (sludged up).
So yeah, failing filter media certainly is a concern and mentioned many times in this video.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4531661/all/We're_done,_Motorcraft.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oVZjE_Cmf59Bs5nSF9p4sMBhJaJ3X3Dey7u1asadJ4o/edit#gid=0
and notice Motorcraft oil filters are tearing alongside Purolators, the company who makes Motorcraft filters.

I suspect Motorcraft oil filters aren't that good, based on some evidence above. I can't be absolutely sure.
With Fram Ultra and others being so easy to get, I see no reason to put good money on an oil filter with a bad reputation.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3548338/Purolator/Motorcraft_Tearing_I

Anyone ever think his choice of lower temp T-stat is helping mitigate LSPI and excessive fuel dilution? a 170* stat isn't likely to be full open until around 180-185* so he is right in the sweet spot for a gasoline engine with forced induction, leaving a little room for flogging it and not seeing timing retard due to preignition.

My Turbocharged '08 Subaru legacy runs a consistent 185-188* tops, even here in the Florida heat. It is a stock T-stat from Subaru. High temp T-stats (192-195*) once again, were put in place to only help emissions not performance...

Originally Posted by tiger862
Where are you seeing that it is "killing my oil" at 5k miles? Viscosity is within range and flash point is still very high. I dont' know how to ask that question without sounding defensive because you give a very blanket statement without pointing to indicators?

Viscosity should be 9.3 to 13 cSt, and you got 9.0, so not that bad at all. A little thin. If you start with a thicker 5w30, like Rotella Gas Truck 5w30 which starts at 11.7, it shouldn't fall below 9.3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back