Oil for modified EcoBoost

Looking for input on which oil to start using:

2016 Ford Taurus SHO w/ the 3.5L TGDI V-6 EcoBoost engine.

I have just finished modifying the engine to the point where I feel it is still going to my a reliable daily driver. This includes the following -

Engine computer tune
Replacement aftermarket turbos
larger intercooler
high pressure fuel pump
true dual set-up CAI
colder heat range spark plugs
custom metal hot pipes
high flow cats & exhaust

I thought I would be running the HPL No VII PCMO 5w-30, but am committed to 4,000 mile OCI‘s, and still have a hard time swallowing $100 for each change. However, if it appears that to be my best choice, that is absolutely what I’ll go with. My only other caveat is I’m not really a fan of the Euro/SAPS oils, simply because I don’t want to harm the cats at all. And though I would certainly like to stick with a 5w-30, if the consensus is to go with something else, I’m open. Finally, I know the oil needs to have a very high HTHS, especially with the new larger turbos.

I have a supercharged 5.4 at 20PSI with 5" spun metal cats and a supercharged 5.8, I run RP HPS 5/30 or M1 Euro 0-40 in them. If you buy the RP by the 5 gal pale it is much less expensive, be sure to use the HPS version of the oil though.
If you aren't burning oil neither will harm your cats.

As always, with very high boost levels, adequate viscosity is a must. In some modern and well designed engines, with large rod bearings, you can easily stay with any quality 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic. The Ford Ecoboost 3.5L is a very well designed engine and is available up to 450HP and over 500 Ft Lb torque in various vehicles, including the Lincoln Navigator and F150 Limited. Both of which can be expected to tow heavy loads. All on 5W-30 oil. I use M1, 10W-30 in my 3.5EB, 5000m OCI's.

As always, with very high boost levels, adequate viscosity is a must. In some modern and well designed engines, with large rod bearings, you can easily stay with any quality 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic. The Ford Ecoboost 3.5L is a very well designed engine and is available up to 450HP and over 500 Ft Lb torque in various vehicles, including the Lincoln Navigator and F150 Limited. Both of which can be expected to tow heavy loads. All on 5W-30 oil. I use M1, 10W-30 in my 3.5EB, 5000m OCI's.
My 3,5EB is running a tune that dynos over 500 at the wheels, and HPL Dave said even their PCEO is enough protection in this engine at this power level. I stepped up to the No VII Euro 5w30 just because I can.

Hmm….interesting responses so far. There are definitely ones that I wasn’t anticipating. Things to keep in mind.

Though I haven’t dyno’ed the car yet, my tuner feels it should be pushing right around the 500 HP level, so a strong oil with HTHS is vital.

Hmm….interesting responses so far. There are definitely ones that I wasn’t anticipating. Things to keep in mind.

Though I haven’t dyno’ed the car yet, my tuner feels it should be pushing right around the 500 HP level, so a strong oil with HTHS is vital.
I’d be more concerned about your transmission than your oil; the trans in the SHOs have not had the greatest track record with added power- have you done any mods to it?

I’m well aware of the transmission being a weak link. To help that out, I change out the fluid (~ 5.5 quarts) at each oil change. So far, so good.

Now, back to those oil recommendations…

As with most highly modified street engines, having enough a spare motor or enough money set aside for a long block tends to be more important than the oil you use. Because weird, unexplainable stuff happens - don't ask me how many times I've seen it...

I’m well aware of the transmission being a weak link. To help that out, I change out the fluid (~ 5.5 quarts) at each oil change. So far, so good.

Now, back to those oil recommendations…
How is oil cooling? What is oil temperature?
I would say, at minimum, something like Mobil1 ESP 5W30 with HTHS 3.5. Look for Euro oils; they will have higher HTHS and better shear stability.

How is oil cooling? What is oil temperature?
I would say, at minimum, something like Mobil1 ESP 5W30 with HTHS 3.5. Look for Euro oils; they will have higher HTHS and better shear stability.

I don’t have an exact reading of the oil temps, but this car does have a factory track pack, which includes an oil & trans cooler. Also, part of the mods include a lower degree thermostat, which, combined with the larger intercooler and true dual air intake system, lead to a VERY cool running engine. So much so that I might have to change out thermostats prior to the winter. But that’s only if my tuner says it’s appropriate to do so.

I don’t have an exact reading of the oil temps, but this car does have a factory track pack, which includes an oil & trans cooler. Also, part of the mods include a lower degree thermostat, which, combined with the larger intercooler and true dual air intake system, lead to a VERY cool running engine. So much so that I might have to change out thermostats prior to the winter. But that’s only if my tuner says it’s appropriate to do so.
Is oil cooler coolant/oil heat exchanger or an air-cooled oil cooler?
But it seems like temperature is not an issue. I think any Euro oil would be enough. Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30, Mobil1 ESP 5W30 or 0W30 are readily available. PPE L goes for $22 for 5qt in Wal mart.

With a larger intercooler I'd think any syn 5W-30 would be fine. I'd consider Mobil 1 0W-40 (or equivalent) as well...

With a larger intercooler I'd think any syn 5W-30 would be fine. I'd consider Mobil 1 0W-40 (or equivalent) as well...
I’m curious why you say that? Is it because of the lower temps, too?

After reading all these comments, I’m beginning to realize I’ve been more concerned about the “HS” part than the “HT” part.

I’m curious why you say that? Is it because of the lower temps, too?

After reading all these comments, I’m beginning to realize I’ve been more concerned about the “HS” part than the “HT” part.

Because it seems to be a pretty good all around performer in cars that need something a bit thicker. I don't really know but the best guess is that it's high in the PAO content, or at least was, and is a nice blend of something not much thicker than a given 30W but still has a beefy additive pack and yes, has good cold start numbers. The Zn might be a bit high for emissions but not sure that will be a problem if not burning.

But as I said, it probably doesn't matter that much and any 5W-30 will work that meets any spec's...

Just an opinion, as I have very little personal experience using this: but I discussed using Mobil 1 ESP in my 3.5 Ecoboost (not tuned…in fact “detuned” for use in the Transit van) with someone I thought had considerable knowledge about Ecoboosts: he really liked the ESP, really, but thought it would be a questionable choice for an extended drain (8-9,000 mi), which was one of my requirements. For shorter drain intervals, it was top/near top of his list. My engine dilutes with fuel. I’d be surprised if yours doesn’t, though maybe your tuner is magician.

PS: i was talking with him about 5w30, but supposedly there is a 0w40 ESP…targeted at Corvettes. Speculation on my part, but probably as top-tier as the M1 Euro FS, but with less SAPS (???), supposedly better protecting your cats (???)…if that is really a concern as thastinger noted above.

Back