New Tacoma V6 Break-in and LSPI

lol, actually the truck runs better than new. I think you are missing a lot do this thread. Tuned the truck runs much better than factory. Timing is also not set in stone. It adjust depending on fuel quality.
Just don't bring it for warranty work if that knock starts acting up. Those things you did which I mentioned might cause you more of a headache than you think.

Last edited:
Just don't bring it for warranty work if that knock starts acting up. Those things I mentioned might cause you more of a headache than you think.
It’s a non issue, the tune is not detectable via tech stream. Again, I’m analyzing very minor feedback via the sensor not at all detectable by me and trying to understand if it was LSPI or normal feedback under partial throttle. I was incorrect assuming it was LSPI.

It’s a non issue, the tune is not detectable via tech stream. Again, I’m analyzing very minor feedback via the sensor not at all detectable by me and trying to understand if it was LSPI or normal feedback under partial throttle.
I'll leave it at I hope you don't have any problems requiring it going back to the dealer.

lol, actually the truck runs better than new. I think you are missing a lot of this thread. Tuned the truck runs much better than factory. Timing is also not set in stone. It adjust depending on fuel quality.

But you are walking a tightrope here. Suppose something does happen or there is a recall or TSB that requires you to take the truck in? Are you going to remove everything and feign innocence?

But you are walking a tightrope here. Suppose something does happen or there is a recall or TSB that requires you to take the truck in? Are you going to remove everything and feign innocence?
No of course not, as mentioned, the tune is NOT detectable. It’s not a separate flashed rom and there is no flash counter or anything like that. The tuners use a very specific software to modify certain settings within the OEM programming. They actually even update the OEM software to latest version before applying their changes. In other words, they are modifying the settings with the factory software… pretty incredible. I’ve never seen a post or review claiming the tune caused any issue. Non issue. The only problem I’ve seen is a few cases where ECU’s were bricked when the updates were being applied and OTT covers the customer for a new ECU. A very rare experience based on cable failure.

When a tech plugs in TechStream nothing would indicate the vehicle is different. The intake is a non issue as well. Toyota sells a TRD CAI very similar in design. Now, if I put a supercharger on that would be a different story. Anyway, for warranty work to be denied it must be shown and proved the modification caused the issue. I also selected the most reputable tuning company for this vehicle. Tons of great reviews testifying never having any issues with warranty work. I have never seen a post saying the tune caused any issues. If anything, big lift kits are more problematic.

Last edited:
Best way to prematurely wear your engine. This is doing more internal wear than any oil additive is saving you from.
Toyota makes a very similar TRD intake but not designed as well. It actually allows the engine to breathe and IAT’s are significantly reduced at speed.

Last edited:
I have noticed this engine tends to have a bit tip-in knock or LSPI at initial acceleration. It’s pretty minor but I’m wondering is switching to a GF6 or GF6A oil would help with this. Maybe I’m making an issue out of nothing as the knock is pretty minor but I love seeing it stay at near 0. From what I understand, M1 EF is a very good formulation but do you experts think there is a better one? From the UOA’s I’ve seen 40 weight hot seems to offer some of the best wear metal reduction I’ve seen over 0w-20.
If you log a bunch of bone stock vehicles you will see 2-3 degrees of knock retard quite a bit, especially FI cars. Thankfully, a KR gauge is not a factory option otherwise we would have a forum called bobistheknockguy.com.

If you log a bunch of bone stock vehicles you will see 2-3 degrees of knock retard quite a bit, especially FI cars. Thankfully, a KR gauge is not a factory option otherwise we would have a forum called bobistheknockguy.com.
100%.

Here's my Atlas on 87 and 93...even get some on 93.

Post in thread 'Project Farm testing impacts of octane and ethanol content on power and mpgs...interesting!' https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ower-and-mpgs-interesting.371099/post-6552510

One more...

I get it, I’ve used it my twin turbo 3.3, 1.6t hybrid, Audi A8 3.0, optima hybrid, Outback 3.6, you name it. Always fantastic results. Take a moment and look at the 18k reviews on Amazon. Fantastic product.

LIQUI MOLY Oil Additive Cera Tec 3721 Ceramic Wear & Tear Protection for Petrol & Diesel Engines Smoother Engine Performance, Less Friction & Lower Fuel Consumption 300 ml https://a.co/d/fGYq81a
Oh I know what ceratec is. I just wouldn't use it on the new D4S toyota's. I have used it on my old school 05 and 08 models which I no longer have. I refuse to meddle with the A25A and all the new FKS/FXS iterations. They are extremely, extremely finicky.

As mentioned, it’s very minor and at tip-in. Happens before and after the tune at light throttle not WOT.
Can you actually feel something going on? Almost like a “fish bite” sensation? A feeling of when a fish bites your line a few times in a couple seconds, and then let’s go.

I always thought that was a firm of LSPI on a direct injection engine, but reading from the comments, I guess I’m wrong and it’s just some sort of preignition event. Either way, I have felt this sensation in direct injection engines at low speed, light throttle.

Oil is not going to change anything here, I’d get rid of that tune and make sure I was using a top tier fuel...and I’d try to up my gas pedal pressure early on until it warmed up enough to not feel the event.

Back