New Tacoma V6 Break-in and LSPI

I just finished my personal break-in procedure on my 23 Tacoma V6 3.5. I switched to Mobil 1 European Formula 5w-40 at 200 miles, since then I have done 2 additional extractions. I’m also a big fan of Liqui Moly’s Cera Tec and just treated the motor at 1200 miles. It definitely helped smooth out the idle, this platform is not known to have this smoothest idle. I’m also tuned and the timing has been pumped up, this probably affects what I’m seeing on the knock sensors. Running e20 mixed with 93 or about 95.5 octane.

I have noticed this engine tends to have a bit tip-in knock or LSPI at initial acceleration. It’s pretty minor but I’m wondering is switching to a GF6 or GF6A oil would help with this. Maybe I’m making an issue out of nothing as the knock is pretty minor but I love seeing it stay at near 0. From what I understand, M1 EF is a very good formulation but do you experts think there is a better one? From the UOA’s I’ve seen 40 weight hot seems to offer some of the best wear metal reduction I’ve seen over 0w-20.

With the tune, who knows what the original baseline would be. Good job getting it though, I couldnt stand the poor shifting performance. Even after a tune it only helped some but seemed to revert back to its anemic ways anything above 45mph. Carmax bought it back and I more or less broke even.

How are you detecting LSPI events? That’s not easy and it’s not the same thing at all as regular pre-ignition knock.

Well, I’m assume it’s LSPI as it matches up with the definition from what I understand. Light throttle, low rpm, higher load. I’m watching the knock sensors via my OBD2 device / Toyota PID’s. This engine makes all its power at higher RPM for the most part. Tends not to happen if you are heavier on the throttle.

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpeg
    View recent photos.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 52
With the tune, who knows what the original baseline would be. Good job getting it though, I couldnt stand the poor shifting performance. Even after a tune it only helped some but seemed to revert back to its anemic ways anything above 45mph. Carmax bought it back and I more or less broke even.
I noticed it before the tune as well. But not a as much.

LSPI is generally catastrophic. You’re seeing regular old pre-ignition which is caused by other issues, not the oil. Knock sensors are not for detecting LSPI, it’s far more complicated.
Got it, so no reason to really change oil type?

I just finished my personal break-in procedure on my 23 Tacoma V6 3.5. I switched to Mobil 1 European Formula 5w-40 at 200 miles, since then I have done 2 additional extractions. I’m also a big fan of Liqui Moly’s Cera Tec and just treated the motor at 1200 miles. It definitely helped smooth out the idle, this platform is not known to have this smoothest idle. I’m also tuned and the timing has been pumped up, this probably affects what I’m seeing on the knock sensors. Running e20 mixed with 93 or about 95.5 octane.

I have noticed this engine tends to have a bit tip-in knock or LSPI at initial acceleration. It’s pretty minor but I’m wondering is switching to a GF6 or GF6A oil would help with this. Maybe I’m making an issue out of nothing as the knock is pretty minor but I love seeing it stay at near 0. From what I understand, M1 EF is a very good formulation but do you experts think there is a better one? From the UOA’s I’ve seen 40 weight hot seems to offer some of the best wear metal reduction I’ve seen over 0w-20.
It's the timing. It's a tad too advanced.

LSPI is likely not going to occur in the Atkinson cycle mode with the delayed closing of the intake valve, unless the tune disables the simulated Atkinson cycle mode altogether

You have the 3.5 V6 in a 2023 Tacoma?
Not attacking OP, but it seems some enthusiasts do seem extra extra when saying I gots mah Taco fer by fer 6MT with AWOL taiiers twelve ennch liiiift leathur seats and uhh camper with molllee plates covering 75 percint, then they proceed with a rather basic question. Like any of those attributes make it special beyond the engine under the hood. OPs question however is a bit technical and interesting.

Not attacking OP, but it seems some enthusiasts do seem extra extra when saying I gots mah Taco fer by fer 6MT with AWOL taiiers twelve ennch liiiift leathur seats and uhh camper with molllee plates covering 75 percint, then they proceed with a rather basic question. Like any of those attributes make it special beyond the engine under the hood. OPs question however is a bit technical and interesting.

I asked because I thought Toyota dropped the 3.5 in 2023 for the new Dynamic Force four banger?

Well, I’m assume it’s LSPI as it matches up with the definition from what I understand. Light throttle, low rpm, higher load. I’m watching the knock sensors via my OBD2 device / Toyota PID’s. This engine makes all its power at higher RPM for the most part. Tends not to happen if you are heavier on the throttle.
Finish your tune with a cat-back exhaust system and go from there.
5w40 sounds good to me.

The latest itteration of the 2GR (the FKS) is not made for increasing cylinder pressure. Its at 12:1 now instead of 10 or 9 : 1. Enjoy destroying your engine. There have been people who have tried boosting the 2GR-FKS and they failed catastrophically. There is a reason that companies like Lotus who use the 2GR in supercharged form run lower compression 2GR-FE's from the good old days. From what you have said, I doubt this motor is gonna last on the current set up without fixing your tune and going back to 93 octane. If this was the FE, you would be fine.

Last edited:
Back