2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L V6 with 85k miles Oil suggestions

Hi everyone,

My mom's 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track is at 85k miles and 10 year/100k powetrain warranty just expired. She works from home and I drive the car 99% of the time. I drive this car about 1k miles a year (still get OCI at 6 months). I drive it twice a week for about 20ish miles.

The hyundai dealership full syn 5W-30 tends to go dark after just a couple hundred miles (I don't think it's good quality)

Right now I bring my own oil for my Kona N (Hyundai doesn't have 0W-30) and now that her car doesn't have a warranty I'm going to be more adamant about not using their oil and bringing my own from now on (since they let me on mine).

Her car doesn't burn any oil and runs like a champ, so my question is her car a candidate for running a high milage full syn 5W-30 or just find a good high quality full syn 5W-30?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230906_211148.jpg
    20230906_211148.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20230918_004538_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230918_004538_Chrome.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 72
The best oil that is readily available is Mobil1 FS 0W-40. That'd be my first pick.

For some time Hyundai had (still does?) a contract with Shell to promote Quaker State. If that's what you'd like to go with, then I'd give it some Quaker State Euro 5W-40. If 5W-30 is a must though, then Quaker State (Synthetic) 5W-30 is also a great option.
But with your short OCI even the cheapest SuperTech semi-synthetic 5W-30 will do the job just fine.

The oil gets black fast because of Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI), likely some fuel dilution. But with frequent OCIs you end up removing any soot/carbon before it has a chance to harm anything.

Hi everyone,

My mom's 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track is at 85k miles and 10 year/100k powetrain warranty just expired. She works from home and I drive the car 99% of the time. I drive this car about 1k miles a year (still get OCI at 6 months). I drive it twice a week for about 20ish miles.

The hyundai dealership full syn 5W-30 tends to go dark after just a couple hundred miles (I don't think it's good quality)

Right now I bring my own oil for my Kona N (Hyundai doesn't have 0W-30) and now that her car doesn't have a warranty I'm going to be more adamant about not using their oil and bringing my own from now on (since they let me on mine).

Her car doesn't burn any oil and runs like a champ, so my question is her car a candidate for running a high milage full syn 5W-30 or just find a good high quality full syn 5W-30?

Thanks!

The oil will turn dark on some engines sooner than others consequently color isn't indictive of quality. Performance is measured in terms of time/mileage so in your situation you will not gain anything by using a "better" oil on an interval of 1k miles/6 months. I would opine you'll see no difference on an oil of similar viscosity at 5k mile interval.

As for a high mileage oil. I wouldn't even bother with such low annual miles but if the cost difference in negligible go ahead and use the HM oil.

The Hyundai 3.8L V6 was never known to have any oil-related issues. There was a time when Hyundai specified 5W-20 for these engines, which were featured in vehicles like the KIA Sorento, KIA Amanti, and Hyundai Veracruz. However, the timing chain guides aren't of the best quality in these engines. At some point, you will have to undertake a timing chain replacement, which includes replacing the guides. At least in the Sorento, the timing chain guides were subpar. Hyundai might have updated them, as I've seen Genesis Coupe examples with well over 200,000 miles run on whatever oil was on sale, without any engine work being done. Fortunately, Hyundai didn't install poor-quality timing chain tensioners on the 3.8, as they did later with the 3.3L Lambda II engine.

I would recommend Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, Quaker State Euro 5W-40, or Castrol EDGE Euro 5W-40 API SP (avoid the older SN version, as it wasn't great). You will have an easy time finding the first two at Walmart, often on sale year-round. QS Euro 5W-40 is the most affordable option, and it's identical to Pennzoil Platinum Euro and Shell Helix Ultra. Castrol EDGE Euro 5W-40 SP is almost exclusively blended for North America.

Take your pick and stick with it.

Interesting how Hyundai recommends a Valve Clearance Adjustment specifically on the 3.8L to be done every 60,000. Yet many are neglected and still make it to 200K without issues or a single valve clearance adjustment.

Hyundai did a copy cat of BMW and didn't know what they had in the Gen Coupe. Hence it's quick demise. It's a great car for the money. And a V8 was planned....

Interesting how Hyundai recommends a Valve Clearance Adjustment specifically on the 3.8L to be done every 60,000. Yet many are neglected and still make it to 200K without issues or a single valve clearance adjustment.
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing a valve clearance check as maintenance. I know I haven't at +135k miles......

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Oil turning dark doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not a quality oil. Oil should darken from heat and the detergents cleaning. Stick with a quality 5w30 and good filter.

If the engine is causing the oil to darken very quickly it’s an indication of a dirty engine. I would seriously consider a flush. I personally like Liqui Moly products but pick your poison. Korean engines are carbon monsters and one of the biggest issues they suffer from is contaminated oil rings around the pistons, which will eventually score of the cylinder walls and equals major consumption issues. I would flush that engine and run M1 0w-40 Euro Formula

Generally there will be a half a quart left in the engine too with a oil and filter change.

BK1 V6 oil quantity.jpg

The Gen Coupe 3.8L are made in Korea and not part of the general US made engine carnage. They do specify the 5w20 and some have ran it for long time, I wouldn't. It's around a $3k job to have the chain replaced.

Good to see someone referencing my write up. At around 290k miles now, still going strong. Got a bunch more oil samples as well testing 5w20/30/40, it didnt like the 40wt so I advise against it now.

OP - dont use 40wt oil, it isnt specified for the engine, and the tolerances in these engines are quite tight. Even my 3.8 at 289k miles which you'd think would have fatter clearances by now and would make use of a thicker 40wt didn't like it according to the oil analysis. I tested 5w20/30/40 and the 40wt doubled the average wear metals per mile. These engines arent pricky about oil, any 5w30 will work fine, especially given the light mileage. An induction cleaning can be a good idea though, and a catch can if you are willing.

You probably know me as Red Raspberry
Ah, yeah. I plan on running more oil samples with 5w30 over longer intervals to see if the numbers are similar or the same as the 5w20, but I know 5w40 isnt good in the 3.8 based on the sample I got back which had double the wear per mile. Oddly enough, that was mainly interstate road trips as well so you'd think it would show the best numbers.

Ah, yeah. I plan on running more oil samples with 5w30 over longer intervals to see if the numbers are similar or the same as the 5w20, but I know 5w40 isnt good in the 3.8 based on the sample I got back which had double the wear per mile. Oddly enough, that was mainly interstate road trips as well so you'd think it would show the best numbers.
Did you ever get fuel dilution remarks? That is all I ever got when I had oil tested with the 2LT.

Back