how to copy & paste a Blackstone pdf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is what I do, I take a "screenshot"... keep in mind there are other ways but this is quick and I can modify it easily.

I open the PDF to 100% or a similar size. Then I press "Pring Scrn" key. This copies the screen capture to the clipboard.

Then you can go in paint (preferable photoshop) and crop out your home address and stuff. I leave the mileage data and all the stuff at the bottom.

here is a sample:

-

DSP ...what Seth says is true ..but keep in mind ...you WILL NOT post that image via tape and paste. It will still have to be hosted off site as a jpeg.

I've even tried a couple of PDF converters available and they butcher the formatting worse than just typing it out yourself. You may want to look at this thread

In Acrobat, go to the tool bar at the top, and click on the "T", it stands for text. Next, select what you want to post, maybe use ''Select all'' under edit.
Then copy the selected text, and paste in into wherever you want it.

To maintain formatting here, use ''code'' Code? Scroll down from the reply box to ''What is UBB code'' link.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
In Acrobat, go to the tool bar at the top, and click on the "T", it stands for text. Next, select what you want to post, maybe use ''Select all'' under edit.
Then copy the selected text, and paste in into wherever you want it.

To maintain formatting here, use ''code'' Code? Scroll down from the reply box to ''What is UBB code'' link.

Please show us an example of how that works. Us dummies haven't been able to do that with a .pdf file.

labman...

...this is beginning to appear like an "automated response" that usually has a "do not reply to this email" attached to it.

No one has been able to effectively use this technique with any success and no one gives any authoritative instructions to make it a viable alternative to just hammering it out in real time on the keyboard.

If you've got any "real" insider slick tricks to get this to work without going through JUST as much hassle ....please have some charity for us (and "us" is apparently the vast majority, the entire memebership actually, of the members on this board who span in intelligence from the top 5% ...to the top .0001% on the scale)who are "challenged" in this one little item.

Do I have to open a vein??

Like I said on a similar thread, somebody give me me a Url to a Blackstone pdf and if I can't do it, I will admit it.

Although my method easily works on most pdf's, I could not make it work on Blackstone. Actually it did reproduce the Blackstone entries just as they are in the pdf. However as far as I can see, each entry includes a carriage return and about 30-40 spaces. I tried stripping them out in a word processor, but couldn't. Maybe somebody with more experience with them could. I have never done much with word processors beyond a few simple letters. Sorry.

quote:

Blackstone sent me a UOA report in Word format, actually rtf format.

I had the same problems converting it to text as I did pdf.

So we're screwed
frown.gif

quote:

Sorry.

Why? Cause you hit the same brick wall everyone else keeps hitting
dunno.gif

I'm sorry ...there is TOO MUCH tallent here to have this little problem defeat so many with so little effort.
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Why? Cause you hit the same brick wall everyone else keeps hitting
dunno.gif

I'm sorry ...there is TOO MUCH tallent here to have this little problem defeat so many with so little effort.
banghead.gif

I'm not very talented at Word VB macros but think I could write one to decifer the Blackstone rtf files into text. The problem is, that would take a lot more time than manually typing in 100 UOAs. Since I'm 61, I seriously doubt I will do 100 UOAs in my lifetime. I'll leave the VB macro task for some young'n.

More seriously, about the time someone wrote a VB macro to do the job, the format would likely get changed and negate the macro. I think it would be a waste of anyones time.

I doubt that it takes much more time to manually type the numbers into a template than it would to pull up word, run a macro then export the file to BITOG.

Perhaps one of our moderators could post a template for Blackstone UOAs at the top of the UOA forum and we could all just copy that and type in our numbers and comments....Not elegant, but it would work and give our reports some consistancy.

Yes, I think someone mentioned a "sticky" in the preferred format.

Never pegged you for 61 XS650 ...

Well
smile.gif
..I guess it's looking younger all the time
grin.gif

Blackstone sent me a UOA report in Word format, actually rtf format.

I had the same problems converting it to text as I did pdf. Everything comes out in one long column in what looks like mostly reverse order.

Blackstone will send you you UOA reports in pdf or Word readable rtf formats. The reports look the same in either format, but with the rft format, you can edit it in Word. I tried all the save as options in Word and it still came out as one long inverted column in any of the text readable formats.

Maybe someone else can make it work.

BTW, OpenOffice wouldnt read the rtf file correctly, it was missing several numbers
blush.gif

XS, I wonder if Blackstone can make Excel (compatible) spreadsheets in addition to Word docs. Once it's in a spreadsheet format, data manipulation is quite easy.

OK, I'm going to make this so much easier. I will post and host any UOA sent to me via email. Please leave it in .pdf format and put UOA in the message subject header. I will remove address and phone info from the forms. Please just email me as this is a walk in the park on a mac.

[email protected]

cheers.gif

This is the code for html to get tables but ubb dosen't support full html so converting to a jpeg from pdf and hosting is the way to go.

Oil UOA

MAKE​
NUMBER​
MODEL​
NUMBER​
FUEL​
NUMBER​
MILES ON OIL​
NUMBER​
MILES ON UNIT​
NUMBER​
OIL TYPE​