Coyote Encounter

My job means I sit down way too much in a day. I try to get out several times a week and walk (winter) or cycle/kayak in the summer for a few hours. Today I drove down to a scenic town on the edge of one of the great lakes, there is a beautiful paved walkway along the edge of the lake with a road on the other side, traffic is slow and the houses are large and very expensive (overlooking the lake of course).

Anyway, I was done my walk but thought, why not go for another 10 minutes as it was a beautiful sunshiny day, so I kept walking past my truck and 2 mins later heard some screaming. Thought nothing of it, just kids upset they're not getting their way or something. Then I saw a "dog" roaming around the corner up ahead and zooming in and out of view and finally put two and two together, kids scared of a stray dog? Started walking faster and then got around the corner and there are these 2 absolutely terrified girls screaming away "leave us alone", huddled around a tree. They are about grade 4 or 5? It's 0C (just freezing), they're out there by themselves (no parents) in just sweatshirts; no coats, no gloves.

Turns out its a coyote and its making runs at them and when the kids spot me they beg for help. Tried yelling at it, it would run off and then circle back to them. Told the kids to walk towards the road/traffic and head home, but the second they walked away from me the coyote would run back at them leaving me alone. The young one started begging me to walk them home (kind of surprising me how fast they latched on to a complete stranger for help without fearing me as well). I had picked up a large dead branch by one of the trees and made a run at the coyote with it and finally after several close swings it finally took off across the road. All said this probably took about 5 minutes to get it to run off for good.

All this is taking place in plain view of the traffic on the road, and the houses behind the road, I'm literally chasing the coyote across the road and nobody stops, no doors in the houses open, complete silence.

So I agree to walk them home and they are keeping 2 feet between me and them, literally terrified out of their wits. I ask the one for her moms phone number and she rattles it off quickly with no mistakes (impressive) and the mom answers and is on her way. The girl can't stop asking where her mom is and this is also a little heartbreaking despite my attempt to reassure them that she is on her way. She picks them up 5 mins later.

All I was thinking was the optics of this. I'm a pretty tall guy (6.5) bundled up in a black winter coat with black hat and gloves, several weeks scruff on my face, walking two complete strangers home carrying a large "club". Thankfully the mother is pretty calm and thanks me and that's it. Says something about it being in their backyard the day before. She has my cell number because I called her, but I guess my point of all this is what kind of society have we bred where I felt more apprehension from the possible misunderstandings of the situation than the coyote. I took off from there the second the moms car stopped with no more than a "I was just walking and heard the screams, stopped to help". That was it, not sticking around.

And I was surprised also at how much those kids got into my head. I don't have kids, never married, have no experience with looking after another person or young kids in need but it was literally impossible to ignore the terror and pleading from them to "save" them. Not trying to be a drama queen, there was little chance that it would have gone after me, but I believe if I wasn't there it would have eventually gotten physical with the girls judging by how much effort it took for me to run it off and how it kept trying to circle back to them. They seemed like sweet kids, but my second question now is how did they get out there all by themselves even without adequate winter gear. The walkway is pretty safe from a crime point of view, its usually wide and open and lots of family/people out and about but it was pretty quiet today. So seeing a few teens out by themselves is not at all uncommon but these girls were too little in my opinion to be walking around without an adult. Possibly they just went out unnoticed for a walk in the beautiful weather, innocent but unwise decision like the ones most of us probably made at their age.

Anyway, just venting. Hope they spring back from this pretty fast. And from now on I guess I carry bear spray or something. I live an hour away in a more rural area and there is always a pack of coyotes yipping at the train as it goes by at night.

When I was working, I used to go to our local State park overlooking the lake for lunch. There was a coyote hanging out in the parking lot. People would drive past and throw it food. They thought it was "cute". We shoot them on sight in my local area. They can be dangerous, especially to children who think they are a dog. This happened two days in a row.

All I had in the car was a 9MM, and you sure can't shoot that in the park. Third day I packed along my full-auto BB gun. Soon as people left, I turned it on him. Took a second day of being pelted by BB's and never saw him again. I could unload 50 BB's in 7 or 8 seconds.;)

but I guess my point of all this is what kind of society have we bred where I felt more apprehension from the possible misunderstandings of the situation than the coyote.
I work with college students in my job and I have these thoughts of apprehension also. One has to constantly be aware to keep themselves out of the appearance of any inappropriate situations. It was good that you established communication with the mother. I probably would have called 911 also, just to CYA for myself.

It's terrible how we have to tiptoe around regarding the state of things now a days. Kudos for your actions. Your thread shows the trauma that you incurred also.

Last edited:
I work with college students in my job and I have these thoughts of apprehension also. One has to constantly be aware to keep themselves out of any sticky situations. It was good that you established communication with the mother. I probably would have called 911 also, just to CYA for myself.

It's terrible how we have to tiptoe around regarding the state of things now a days. Kudos for your actions. Your thread shows the trauma that you incurred also.

My truck was only a few mins down the road the other direction, but I knew that was literally the worst possible "solution" even though from the perspective of getting them out of danger, it was the best/quickest one. It's why I walked along the road out in public away from my truck, but that coyote was still there in the orchard/field behind the houses.

Good story. You did the right thing. When I lived in rural South Dakota coyotes were always a threat. They are wary and not usually in range of my puny .22 single shot rife but they did sometimes at night poach a chicken from our barnyard. Coyotes are very clever critters and the equal of most people. Governor Rick Perry, Tx. dispatche one that attacked his dog with a .380. He was criticized for using such a small caliber. :rolleyes:

Had an encounter once in the mountains at Bridgeport Ca. with a wolf. She crossed my path and gave me a baleful stare but moved on.

Canidae live here. They preceded us. We need to coexist with them.

Last edited:
You did the right thing. There have been quite a few people attacked by coyotes. They are dangerous and when they get into a pack they will attack something much larger than them.

To be honest I'm still a little surprised that it was just the one by himself, I thought they always ran in packs? Wondering if rabies was at play here, it didn't display any nasty aggression that way though; no teeth bared or anything. From a distance (the houses) it may have looked just like a dog chasing the kids if it wasn't for the screaming, it almost looked playful as it was running at them and then braking off.

I wonder if it was sick. It’s odd that it would stick around with you there. Typically they sprint at the sight of a human around here. My dog chased after a raccoon the other night and out of the woods comes a coyote after it too. She turned and chased the coyote off.

Good job helping those kids. 4 or 5 is very young for them to be out by themselves.

I wonder if it was sick. It’s odd that it would stick around with you there. Typically they sprint at the sight of a human around here. My dog chased after a raccoon the other night and out of the woods comes a coyote after it too. She turned and chased the coyote off.

Good job helping those kids. 4 or 5 is very young for them to be out by themselves.
Indeed - have spent a great deal of time outdoors and have never seen one not run from me on foot, vehicle, or boat …

Do you recall if it was a male coyote? You did a great thing by stepping in and helping those young girls.

I didn't look nor think to look.

Indeed - have spent a great deal of time outdoors and have never seen one not run from me on foot, vehicle, or boat …

The frustrating part was how it never really looked my way or ran at me, it was persistent in going for the girls. We hear them a lot in my area around my own house but only at night and I've never actually seen one here in broad daylight.

Reactions: 4WD
Another trick a coyote will pull. Pack of them will get in the woods close to a house. One will come out and act like it wants to play with the family dog. Then the friendly pet will follow the coyote into the woods. That's when the pack attacks the pet and kills the dog.

imagejpeg_0.jpeg
imagejpeg_1.jpeg

Here is a coyote pic up in northern NJ the coyotes chase deer onto the lake and then kill it when they are done the bald eagles play clean up.

It does seem odd that the kids were out in incorrect clothes. While I wouldn’t expect huge conversation from the mother, it seems how how her response description went too.

You walking down the road with a kid… if I walk down the street with my daughter, should I be hassled because I’m walking with a young girl? Of course, mine would be dressed properly for the conditions. That’s a tough line to walk - safety vs privacy. Especially in “random” situations.

Back