Creating Youtube videos

A few days ago I was in Washington DC again and this time I decided to walk around and film my walks. I love the cold weather and except for frozen fingers I always enjoy the cold, crisp air. This being the first time I made something for youtube, I want some feedback on what have I done wrong. I don't have special equipment and it is just an iPhone. I just ordered a gimbal for it. These are direct uploads but the long video I have was stitched together with iMovie on my phone.

Please critique so I get ideas on how to improve.

Reactions: wlk
Haven't watched the whole thing but

-- have a point in your mind before you hit record. Don't pan back and forth. Start at something that establishes the shot then finish with the objective of why you're filming.

-- Do things to establish where you are. Use the corner street sign shot as an establishing shot. Hold on it for 2-3 seconds so people can read it so they know why they're there. If you can't do that, do a title when you edit.

I echo the statements above.

Further, when you say things like
- "I'm not sure what that is ..."
- "(unintelligible mumble) or something ..."
- "bad lighting for some reason ... well not for some reason ..."
- (GPS voiceover)
These, and several other instances, come off as very amateur. It gives the impression to the viewers that you're a novice (probably true). But if you want to come off as a polished professional, you need to present the content in such a way that it conveys authority and not clueless whimsy. Try to have things in mind before you speak; don't guess or mumble through things.

Don't feel bad; your mistakes are very common with beginners. If you want to improve, keep trying and see what you can do with each iteration to increase your confidence. Planning is paramount. Don't just wander about with your feet and your voice; have a purpose and stick to it.

I echo the statements above.

Further, when you say things like
- "I'm not sure what that is ..."
- "(unintelligible mumble) or something ..."
- "bad lighting for some reason ... well not for some reason ..."
- (GPS voiceover)
These, and several other instances, come off as very amateur. It gives the impression to the viewers that you're a novice (probably true). But if you want to come off as a polished professional, you need to present the content in such a way that it conveys authority and not clueless whimsy. Try to have things in mind before you speak; don't guess or mumble through things.

Don't feel bad; your mistakes are very common with beginners. If you want to improve, keep trying and see what you can do with each iteration to increase your confidence. Planning is paramount. Don't just wander about with your feet and your voice; have a purpose and stick to it.
Great advice here. Also note that what a lot of people that get followings on YouTube (especially enough to make money) don't mention is that it's more than a full time job. Some even have staff that do their editing and such.

If you're just doing this for friends and family, just work on your editing, and use a mic so you're more intelligible. :)

Whats a good freeware video editor in pc and mac for the ops editing suite? Op could see if it fits there style?

Imovie wont cut it these days

This isn't something that can be fixed with editing software.

OP should read about storyboarding and pre-production work. A lot of people think they can just "ham it up" on camera. They shouldn't.

No outline was used. An outline allows you to map out your story and will allow you to focus on the elements you need to tell the story.
Editing is a necessity. Editing ads interest vs a long tedious contiguous sequence - unless you are Hitchcock (Rope). Editing allows you to establish a new scene and it ads interest.
Panning should be used sparingly and done level on all axes. Never transition from a horizontal pan to a vertical pan and vice versa
Avoid keystoning by moving the level phone/camera up and down rather than tilting it
Avoid Dutch angles unless you want to unsettle the viewers.
Record while walking only sparingly as it tends top look like slow-and-low-flying drone footage.
Change the focal length occasionally. Even phones have usually at least 2 focal lengths available I video mode. Start with a wide establishing shot, then use a longer FL to crop in and isolate the subject.
You can't get good sound without an external mic - at minimum use ADR for voice audio. You may want to use stock sounds for at least some background noises that you cannot capture with an inbuilt mic, for example, traffic sounds, geese honking, and train horns blaring.

You said you love DC when it's cold. Show us how it's cold. Show us a backlit tree branch with frost on it even if it's cliché. Show us a steaming hotdog stand. Get close to your subjects and show us some details. The human eye and brain do not work like a camera lens in the sense that our vision provides a wide field of view but that we can see in focus only in a small central area. Our eyes are however constantly moving, essentially scanning what were are looking at and our brain composites a multitude of images from two eyes in near-real time. For example, if you look at a fantastic landscape and want a picture/recording that approaches what you are seeing you have to use techniques like framing, including or excluding elements. Human vision is forgiving because it emphasizes and deemphasizes elements as needed. A still or recording is utterly unforgiving.

I suggest you watch some professionally made videos and pay attention to structure, storytelling, visual storytelling, editing, and sound. If you want people to watch your videos you need a hook to draw them in. The hook can be the topic, a visual, or a sound. After hooking the viewers you need to keep their attention. Start with something simple like a one-minute short with maybe three cuts. Work your way up to longer stories from there.

Definitely a better microphone. I've noticed a lot of people get lavalier (clip-on) microphones although some get shotgun mics, which might be too much.

No outline was used. An outline allows you to map out your story and will allow you to focus on the elements you need to tell the story.
Editing is a necessity. Editing ads interest vs a long tedious contiguous sequence - unless you are Hitchcock (Rope). Editing allows you to establish a new scene and it ads interest.
Panning should be used sparingly and done level on all axes. Never transition from a horizontal pan to a vertical pan and vice versa
Avoid keystoning by moving the level phone/camera up and down rather than tilting it
Avoid Dutch angles unless you want to unsettle the viewers.
Record while walking only sparingly as it tends top look like slow-and-low-flying drone footage.
Change the focal length occasionally. Even phones have usually at least 2 focal lengths available I video mode. Start with a wide establishing shot, then use a longer FL to crop in and isolate the subject.
You can't get good sound without an external mic - at minimum use ADR for voice audio. You may want to use stock sounds for at least some background noises that you cannot capture with an inbuilt mic, for example, traffic sounds, geese honking, and train horns blaring.

You said you love DC when it's cold. Show us how it's cold. Show us a backlit tree branch with frost on it even if it's cliché. Show us a steaming hotdog stand. Get close to your subjects and show us some details. The human eye and brain do not work like a camera lens in the sense that our vision provides a wide field of view but that we can see in focus only in a small central area. Our eyes are however constantly moving, essentially scanning what were are looking at and our brain composites a multitude of images from two eyes in near-real time. For example, if you look at a fantastic landscape and want a picture/recording that approaches what you are seeing you have to use techniques like framing, including or excluding elements. Human vision is forgiving because it emphasizes and deemphasizes elements as needed. A still or recording is utterly unforgiving.

I suggest you watch some professionally made videos and pay attention to structure, storytelling, visual storytelling, editing, and sound. If you want people to watch your videos you need a hook to draw them in. The hook can be the topic, a visual, or a sound. After hooking the viewers you need to keep their attention. Start with something simple like a one-minute short with maybe three cuts. Work your way up to longer stories from there.
Learned something new - Dutch angle.

I got a chuckle when the GPS voice kicked in. Agree you need an external mic but keep at it. I watch a YT personality that has about 275k followers and >7k videos. I went back one day, watched several of his first videos and they were no worse. The stop at the pigeons was a good touch, folks love animals. Good luck.

Whats a good freeware video editor in pc and mac for the ops editing suite? Op could see if it fits there style?

Imovie wont cut it these days
DaVinci resolve and Lightworks come to mind. Adobe does have some free software (Premier Rush, Express Video Editor) but idk what they lock behind a paywall.

Back