Metal detector recommendations?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
This is a real long shot but my mother in law thinks that a piece of her jewelry (gold cross) might be buried in a section of sidewalk grass in front of her childhood home (still in the family).

The gold cross was lost in 1960 when she was a child. I told her chances are it could have been mowed over or someone walking by could have found it but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and try to find it. Maybe we'll get lucky if someone stepped on it and pushed it into the soil.

Questions:
  • Over the past 60 years, could frost heave or grass roots somehow pulled the cross deeper into the ground, and possibly how deep?

• What budget metal detector would you recommend for finding a 1" piece of gold jewelry maybe 6 inches deep?
    • There are a few weirdly names Chinesium brands I'd rather get than spending $300 on a nice Garret. Though the hobby seems fun I Don't have the time to go metal detecting.

Last edited:
My 2000 cents:
1708645985353.jpg

Almost every town has a metal detecting club. Find them online, and call. Usually there is a member or 2 that would come out and help find what you are looking for. They get a kick out of it.

If you want a metal detector, the range is anywhere from $175 to thousands. I have a garrett ace 350 ( $250), a bounty hunter tracker IV,( $175) and and Anfibio Makro ( $675).

The tracker IV is a cheap decent detector, has less descrimination, meaning you will have trouble discerning silver and nickle etc from iron. But its better in sand at the coast than my more expensive garrett.

The Anfibio has a higher khz freqency thats better for gold. its water proof and has wireless headphones, but i just don't like it.

Garrett ACE, AT pro are good units. Anything by Minelab is good as well.

Last edited:
This is a real long shot but my mother in law thinks that a piece of her jewelry (gold cross) might be buried in a section of sidewalk grass in front of her childhood home (still in the family).

The gold cross was lost in 1960 when she was a child. I told her chances are it could have been mowed over or someone walking by could have found it but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and try to find it. Maybe we'll get lucky if someone stepped on it and pushed it into the soil.

Questions:
  • Over the past 60 years, could frost heave or grass roots somehow pulled the cross deeper into the ground, and possibly how deep?

• What budget metal detector would you recommend for finding a 1" piece of gold jewelry maybe 6 inches deep?
    • There are a few weirdly names Chinesium brands I'd rather get than spending $300 on a nice Garret. Though the hobby seems fun I Don't have the time to go metal detecting.
See my previous post. But how old is the home on the property? How large a lot? Anything interesting in the history?

If really old homestead , a club may be interested in searching it for you. I'm sure you can get a member to search for that one item.

I have one. If you use it one the beach there might be local restrictions about when it can be used. The tourons must have a chance to find their lost things before you can come and scoop them up. If you use one in North Carolina be cautious where you use it. There are state protected Civil War battle grounds everywhere and metal detectors are verboten there. You might get arrested. Almost happened to me.

See my previous post. But how old is the home on the property? How large a lot? Anything interesting in the history?
It's a bungalow in the suburbs, grassy patch is probably 20' x 3'. Built in the 40's or so. I just need something that would reach a few inches deep.

Any decent one should be able to pic that up. This one is very good for the price

Back