I have BPH

I am currently on a Foley Catheter due to Enlarged Prostate. I would like to know what you have gone through and how you dealt with it. Please educate me, because right now, I missed the old me before this thing happened.
Thank you

Last edited:
Have you been on Flomax yet? If not it's one of the first things to try.
Yes, my Urologist prescribed me Transulin. I had a cystocopy a 2 days ago and it was the painful. I told the Urolosgist I still have a hard time urinating,

Lots of men seem to have good luck with Saw Palmetto and other supplements that are intended to help with BPH.

Of course you want to make sure that it is in fact just BPH, and not prostate cancer, etc.
I never had tried that. But I will put this on my list to buy. My Urologist examine the urine and it has some sort of infection, prescribed me with antibiotics.

I have BPH also. Tamsulosin and Finesteride keeps it controlled for me. I've had zero side effects . Ask your urologist.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not satisfied with current Urologist, but a friend of mine recommended me to his, so I guess I'm back to square one on my appt to the new doctor tomorrow.

Reactions: JC1
I had that problem. Tamsulosin alone didn't do the trick and the Dr. wanted to do the laser rotor rooter. Got a second opinion. That Dr. said a two drug solution would normally be tried before surgery. A testosterone blocker (temporary) and Tamsulosin (permanent). Went with that and it worked.

I had that problem. Tamsulosin alone didn't do the trick and the Dr. wanted to do the laser rotor rooter. Got a second opinion. That Dr. said a two drug solution would normally be tried before surgery. A testosterone blocker (temporary) and Tamsulosin (permanent). Went with that and it worked.
Wow, I like this, I will ask this tomorrow's Doctor appointment. Thanks

I have BPH also. Tamsulosin and Finesteride keeps it controlled for me. I've had zero side effects . Ask your urologist.
One may find Finesteride as the golden goose after the first 3 months of taking it, even though my doctor says up to 6 months to fully work. Agree he should talk to his doctor.
That is about how long it takes to really start shrinking the gland, good chance he will not want/need to continue Tamsulosin from that point forward. Im not playing doctor he can read up on how it works and speak with his doctor.

Ive been through 3 biopsy's and 3 MRI's in the last few years, no cancer and yet my PSA was recently 15.5 (not a misprint)
New doctor, new state, in deciding for another Biopsy (my last was about 18 months ago) he put me on Finesteride and wants to see my PSA go down to at least 8.5 over a six month period, already scheduled for new PSA and Follow up appt in 2/2024
He said I may find I do not need to Tamsulosin and he was right, feel like a new person, I dont take Tamsulosin anymore and no side affects except I feel like a new person.

Just recently a month ago before Thanksgiving, 3 months of taking Finestride, for the fun of it, I scheduled and paid for my own PSA test at Quest Labs using Alta for the appointment.
My doctor doesnt know it, I was just curious to see if it was coming down as I have 3 more months of taking the drug for his PSA test and follow up. I was absolutely thrilled.
PSA is already down 7 points from 15.5 to 8.5 (I advent seen that number in YEARS) he told me his reasoning and plan for this method and its looking really good as he was hoping to see 8.5 or better at the sixth month follow up. PSA test is so cheap I am thinking about getting one more on my own at the end of this month since it's on sale for less than $25. $12.50 + $8.00 draw fee at quest.

BTW - this drug is also used to prevent and reverse hair loss so if you have that problem you might get two benefits.;)
Talk to you doctor, everyone is different and take different meds. One thing for sure, dont be afraid of MRIs and biopsies. Biopsy isnt the most pleasant thing, I was awake for the last two. But it's over in less than 15 minutes of real unpleasantness and if its cancer the sooner the better.

I have a bad back ache and took some Celebrex. One dose. Had trouble going last night. Didn't panic but was ready to call my urologist. Read today that Celebrex can help BPH symptoms. Guess it had a negative effect on my prostate. I have some mild BPH. My urologist is very nice and gentle. Had an anesthesiologist knock me out and performed a cystoscopy. He was so gentle and I had no effects the next day that I can't bet my life that he actually did anything. LOL Never really told me my prostate is enlarged but he did send me a survey for BPH patients.

A lawyer in my wife's office had the Urolift procedure in the morning and was back at work in the afternoon.

Take care of yourself and find another Dr if you feel your not getting decent care. I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer last summer. We were in a watch and see mode (bisopies) until now where I just want to go ahead and get it removed. My Dr is very good!

I have BPH. I take Tamsulosin and Life Extension Ultra Prostate Formula. I was peeing 4-6 times per night. Now that is down to one time occasionally twice. My PSA has been running at 0.5 or 0.6 for several years.

I had an endoscope shoved up there stone cold sober. Nurse squirted lidocaine up there and the scope was the size of my little finger. I told him I wanted the pediatric scope and he said this WAS the small one. He decided to do it on a visit so I didn't have to think about it ahead of time. I was on Tamsulosin for several years. Worked great. Then got prostate cancer and had it removed. I would advise anyone undergoing prostatectomy, find a surgeon who has done a lot of them. The more the better. Even with the robot, that surgery required finesse and lots of experience.

Thank you all, my fellow BITOG'ers. I've learned alot from you all. Today, at 10:00 am I have an appointment with a new Urologist. Hopefully it will go well. I don't want to go through what I had experienced from my previous Urologist. Thanks again folks !!!

Those Roto Rooter procedures don't always have a good outcome.

Thank you all, my fellow BITOG'ers. I've learned alot from you all. Today, at 10:00 am I have an appointment with a new Urologist. Hopefully it will go well. I don't want to go through what I had experienced from my previous Urologist. Thanks again folks !!!
Keep us posted about your new Doc.

Hi there, just an update. I immediately noticed my new Urologist attentive and knowlledgeable. After a few questtions from him, he told me to take 2 Tamsulosin instead of 1 a day. Monday will be my next appointment and from there, he'll take off my Foley Catheter to see if I can pee naturally. If not the Foley Catheter will be inserted again and would be advised for a surgery (GreenLight Laser) as a last option. If that is the case, I want this behind me, becuase I felt useless doing half of the things I normally do everyday.

Last edited:
Back