I have BPH

I am currently on a Foley Catheter due to Enlarged Prostate. I would like to know what you have gone through and how you dealt with it. Please educate me, because right now, I missed the old me before this thing happened.
Thank you
That is hell for sure. Just had one removed (thank God) when sent home from hospital last week. I had it one time for (3) whole months with bleeding and blood clots plugging it up. In and out of the hospital.
Be very careful moving around with that thing. Wife left for work one day. I got out of bed and stepped on and tripped over the hose,
yanking the foley half way out of me! After the screaming in pain and about passing out I got hold of myself and dressed. I could not call the wife as she has been missing work to be with me at hospital and at home a couple days once released. I got myself (dont know how to this day) into the car and drove about 30 miles to the hospital ER. Called wife once I got there and told her not to leave work, hopital can take care of me. Well the ER nurses were horrified looking at this thing full of blood. Finally I asked them "please call somone from the urology department to come deal with this?" To my surprise that is exactly what they did. They shot me up with pain meds and two guys from urology had the old one removed and a new on inserted (no pain !) in no time. The hospital made me stay until I had someone come drive me home due to the drugs they had shot me up with. What a day. I been thru it all. Ask anything about them and I have probably been thru it. Been dealing with enlarged prostate bph for five years. I finally found some great Doctors who are going to fix me up. Mine is so complicated I just had two of the four surgeries they have planned.

Yes, my Urologist prescribed me Transulin. I had a cystocopy a 2 days ago and it was the painful. I told the Urolosgist I still have a hard time urinating,
I have had the cystocopy a number of times. The first was like medevil torture. Then I discovered it does not have to hurt. The other ones I had were no pain at all because they used a cream that deadens you first! Make them do that if ever again you have to endure that procedure.

I never had tried that. But I will put this on my list to buy. My Urologist examine the urine and it has some sort of infection, prescribed me with antibiotics.
Make sure you follow up on that infection. I just spent a week in the hospital due to infection I had no idea I had. Wife and
my son took me to hospital cause they said for a week I was not myself. I was out of my head talking to myself and can not
remember anything but waking up in hospital on and off with Doctors trying to talk to me. They said is was a strong rare
infection and had to be killed by antibiotic thru an IV for days. UTIs are nothing to take lightly. They told me many times
elderly folks are brought in with family thinking they had a stroke or have dementia and it turns out to be bad urinary tract
infection.

That is hell for sure. Just had one removed (thank God) when sent home from hospital last week. I had it one time for (3) whole months with bleeding and blood clots plugging it up. In and out of the hospital.
Be very careful moving around with that thing. Wife left for work one day. I got out of bed and stepped on and tripped over the hose,
yanking the foley half way out of me! After the screaming in pain and about passing out I got hold of myself and dressed. I could not call the wife as she has been missing work to be with me at hospital and at home a couple days once released. I got myself (dont know how to this day) into the car and drove about 30 miles to the hospital ER. Called wife once I got there and told her not to leave work, hopital can take care of me. Well the ER nurses were horrified looking at this thing full of blood. Finally I asked them "please call somone from the urology department to come deal with this?" To my surprise that is exactly what they did. They shot me up with pain meds and two guys from urology had the old one removed and a new on inserted (no pain !) in no time. The hospital made me stay until I had someone come drive me home due to the drugs they had shot me up with. What a day. I been thru it all. Ask anything about them and I have probably been thru it. Been dealing with enlarged prostate bph for five years. I finally found some great Doctors who are going to fix me up. Mine is so complicated I just had two of the four surgeries they have planned.
I bet that did hurt. It has a inflated balloon on the end to keep it in.

UDATE: Have been to my Urologist yesterday for a follow up and before taking the Foley Catheter they injected water into my Bladder. Then they took off the Foley Catherter. There the asst nurse made sure I can pee normally. And indeed I was able to pee. The process was if I can't then, they'll insert a new Foley and to schedule me on those roto-rooter surgeries due to a prostrate enlargement. Glad that didn't happened. I believe the doubling of taking Transulosin meds did it and a lot of prayers. For now I can pee normally and still have to take the meds until 6 weeks from now on 3rd doctors appointment.

My worst nightmare was not able to pee. Went to the ER and there were no rooms available due to patients ahead of me. I was contantly begging to t he front receptionist but have to wait in line. It was after 3 hrs until I finally got a room checked into the ER. Hope this ordeal will never happened to me.

My worst nightmare was not able to pee. Went to the ER and there were no rooms available due to patients ahead of me. I was contantly begging to t he front receptionist but have to wait in line. It was after 3 hrs until I finally got a room checked into the ER. Hope this ordeal will never happened to me.
yeah, I had a few rough times at ERs when they were packed.....

UDATE: Have been to my Urologist yesterday for a follow up and before taking the Foley Catheter they injected water into my Bladder. Then they took off the Foley Catherter. There the asst nurse made sure I can pee normally. And indeed I was able to pee. The process was if I can't then, they'll insert a new Foley and to schedule me on those roto-rooter surgeries due to a prostrate enlargement. Glad that didn't happened. I believe the doubling of taking Transulosin meds did it and a lot of prayers. For now I can pee normally and still have to take the meds until 6 weeks from now on 3rd doctors appointment.
Lots of men get lucky taking meds to shrink it. I have not been one of them and am facing a serious surgery to remove 3/4 of it I am told.
Waiting for the Doctor to decide when they can do it.

That is terrible. When it happened to me on a Sat morning I called a local Dr and he told me to go right to the drug store, get and take 2 tablets. If that didn't work go to the ER. I stated that I didn't know how I could wait in an ER and he said they consider that an emergency and will take you right in. The pills worked and I was on them for years. Sorry you had a lousy Dr and hospital. Glad you got to a sensible Dr. Doubling the dose should always be tried first.

Good news. You may be on the Flomax from now on.

I am 67 next month and all my troubles started about 5 years ago and am ashamed how little I knew about all of this stuff.
All I knew was flowmax helped me for several years. This espisode I just had I learned about a condition that caused it
that I never knew existed. Bladder stones! I knew about kidney but not bladder stones. I was in hospital in and out of it (mainly
due to severe uti infection that had me out of my head) I recall waking up to doctors and nurse working on that foley cathater
and seeing blood and white things going thru the tube that looked like tiny marbles! I am so glad I was unconsious for a bunch
of that clearing of all of that out of me. I was awake years back when I went thru similar but it was only blood clots coming out
and they could probably hear me screaming in another state. Sorry to scare anyone but if you got the slightest trouble get your
butts to a urologyst ASAP. I am in the shape I am in now because it took me forever to find some decent doctors to help me.
I went thru several who seem to just like to run tests and then say there isnt much they could do so I was off to others until I
got lucky and recently found some willing to help me. All the others just wanted to run tests and give drugs that may or may
not work. Flowmax is really only a temporary fix I have been told. Good luck to anyone having similar issues.

That is terrible. When it happened to me on a Sat morning I called a local Dr and he told me to go right to the drug store, get and take 2 tablets. If that didn't work go to the ER. I stated that I didn't know how I could wait in an ER and he said they consider that an emergency and will take you right in. The pills worked and I was on them for years. Sorry you had a lousy Dr and hospital. Glad you got to a sensible Dr. Doubling the dose should always be tried first.
That has been my experience. They mostly take me straight in ASAP I suppose just behind any heart patients......

I am 67 next month and all my troubles started about 5 years ago and am ashamed how little I knew about all of this stuff.
All I knew was flowmax helped me for several years. This espisode I just had I learned about a condition that caused it
that I never knew existed. Bladder stones! I knew about kidney but not bladder stones. I was in hospital in and out of it (mainly
due to severe uti infection that had me out of my head) I recall waking up to doctors and nurse working on that foley cathater
and seeing blood and white things going thru the tube that looked like tiny marbles! I am so glad I was unconsious for a bunch
of that clearing of all of that out of me. I was awake years back when I went thru similar but it was only blood clots coming out
and they could probably hear me screaming in another state. Sorry to scare anyone but if you got the slightest trouble get your
butts to a urologyst ASAP. I am in the shape I am in now because it took me forever to find some decent doctors to help me.
I went thru several who seem to just like to run tests and then say there isnt much they could do so I was off to others until I
got lucky and recently found some willing to help me. All the others just wanted to run tests and give drugs that may or may
not work. Flowmax is really only a temporary fix I have been told. Good luck to anyone having similar issues.
My 1st Uro was busy taking more patients to make more money. He talked to for 5 minutes and took all my stats and that's it. I showed him my Foley Catheter and all he said was "Good!!!" as if he didn't care. Then he disappeared and went to the next patient. I was waiting for 45 minutes and asked the front office clerk "Did the Dr forgot about me?" The clerk said, he'll be right with you, he's with a patient." After all the waiting, he didn't see me and the nurse said go to the pharmacy and buy the medicine he prescribed. Then my next visit after 5 days is even worst, that he need to perform a cystocopy and it was one the most painful thing I've ever experienced. And then, he disappeared to treat more patients. From that incident I decided, I needed I new Uro.
Glad I found a 2nd Uro by searching online and found a Dr with very good reviews. That's how I found my 2nd Uro and he was caring

Last edited:
My 1st Uro was busy taking more patients to make more money. He talked to for 5 minutes and took all my stats and that's it. I showed him my Foley Catheter and all he said was "Good!!!" as if he didn't care. Then he disappeared and went to the next patient. I was waiting for 45 minutes and asked the front office clerk "Did the Dr forgot about me?" The clerk said, he'll be right with you, he's with a patient." After all the waiting, he didn't see me and the nurse said go to the pharmacy and buy the medicine he prescribed.
Glad I found a 2nd Uro by searching online and found a Dr with very good reviews. That's how I found my 2nd Uro.
It is tough out there (all over) I hear trying to find good / caring Doctors these days. They are out there but its almost like a person must get lucky unless referred to one.

You'll know you're cured, when you can complete the challenge...

117389757_1534797053369215_8782783160546130923_n.jpg

Are you considering Aquabation or Rezum? These are water treatments and will not harm male feritility.

Back