Chinese vs. USA Craftsman RP ratchets (PICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what a USA made ratchet looks like:
56.gif

dscn4954t.jpg

dscn4974u.jpg

dscn4978.jpg

Cornwell: hard line is US made (wrenches, ratchets sockets, punches, etc) ~ not sure on the rest of their line

Snap-On: US made for most of their items (blue point is import), check their website for country of origin

Williams: some US (some wrenches and sockets) some china

SK: US made

Wright Tool: US made with US steel

Mac: Hard line tools made in USA

Matco & Armstrong: considering they are owned by Danaher and they supply Sears, who know how long they will still be US made

Proto: still USA made or so they tell us (stanley got in trouble with them about 10 or so years ago with the "made in usa")

Vise-grips: CHINA

Ridged: I believe most is still US

Channel locks: Most is US

Klein: USA

Thomas and Betts: USA

Pratt Read: USA (also PR stamped on craftsman screwdrivers)

And there are many other US made. If in doubt e-mail or call the company. If US-made; most if not all, will would be happy to tell you where their product is made.

Remember some items the tool truck sell might not be made by them, example: grease guns, screwdrivers, pullers (some sell OTC tools), DMM (fluke is now china made), etc

Harry Epstein and ebay are good places for US-made tools

bob

Originally Posted By: 91344George

When China stops treating their citizens like slaves and paying them like slaves maybe things could be different, but not until then. FREE TRADE IS NOT FAIR TRADE.

Taiwan isn't mainland China. Do facts matter here?

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

When China stops treating their citizens like slaves and paying them like slaves maybe things could be different, but not until then. FREE TRADE IS NOT FAIR TRADE.

Where are the facts that wages are aligned between Taiwan and the USA?

I live here and pay taxes here. Why would I want to support China or Taiwan any more than I absolutely had to, versus buying stuff from companies that produce it here?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I live here and pay taxes here. Why would I want to support China or Taiwan any more than I absolutely had to, versus buying stuff from companies that produce it here?

why are you moving the goalposts? the conversation started out about quality. Taiwan makes a lot better quality things than mainland China does. Taiwan has nothing to do really with China. It's apples and oranges. Almost all bicycles for instance are made in Taiwan including the high end ones.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That's the main thing Taiwan even if it is 1st world still isn't the USA. While I'd agree we should trade with only countries that are at a similar level and who buy from us, it still can have a tax and jobs cost. It'd be nice if these Asian countries would sell all the junk their making there instead of dumping it all on the US market. If they are not even consuming the products then they have no business producing them.

Thank you for the nice write up and comparison of those 2 rachets. I've noticed a slight decline in the quality of those rachets from the cheap selector lever to the porous looking steel. My 15 yr old Craftsman rachet was so much better looking and witha metal selector lever that was not a flimsy like today's. I was sad when it finally broke last year and I had to warranty it for a new one - that looks like what your posted. The feel of the rachet was nowhere like my old one.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Thank you for the nice write up and comparison of those 2 rachets. I've noticed a slight decline in the quality of those rachets from the cheap selector lever to the porous looking steel. My 15 yr old Craftsman rachet was so much better looking and witha metal selector lever that was not a flimsy like today's. I was sad when it finally broke last year and I had to warranty it for a new one - that looks like what your posted. The feel of the rachet was nowhere like my old one.

you could have rebuilt it.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

That's the main thing Taiwan even if it is 1st world still isn't the USA. While I'd agree we should trade with only countries that are at a similar level and who buy from us, it still can have a tax and jobs cost. It'd be nice if these Asian countries would sell all the junk their making there instead of dumping it all on the US market. If they are not even consuming the products then they have no business producing them.

Perfectly stated.

I want to buy products that are made in the USA, by US citizens paying US taxes, that are living in the US.

Last edited:

you could have rebuilt it.

Yes I probably should have.

Yes I probably should have.

I still have my dad's old SK 3/8 ratchet set from the 70's.

Slightly OT but I bought a metric ratchet set in 1971 from a local auto parts store. It was made in the USA. I think it was a unknown to me name such as Industro(?). After 40 years it still works better than any ratchet I've used since. Sears ratchets from the '80's and early '90's were good, but not as good as that '71 ratchet.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Slightly OT but I bought a metric ratchet set in 1971 from a local auto parts store. It was made in the USA. I think it was a unknown to me name such as Industro(?). After 40 years it still works better than any ratchet I've used since. Sears ratchets from the '80's and early '90's were good, but not as good as that '71 ratchet.

Whimsey

Likely you're thinking of Indestro. It was one of the big tool companies that went bust.

http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/duro-indestro.html

I would have less of a problem with Sears moving production overseas if there was a reduction in pricing these tools. But, the prices are remaining the same and the quality just isn't the same. So, Sears is going to be making more money by selling cheaper made tools, all while betting that the "lifetime" warranty will still sway buyers, regardless of the quality of the tools.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Here's what a USA made ratchet looks like:
56.gif

The ratchet looks beautiful, yet the Cornwell website is timing out on me for a few hours now. Google News shows nothing on them too. Ebay store for Cornwell is sketchy. I wish I could find a place where one can fondle those..

Originally Posted By: JasonC
I would have less of a problem with Sears moving production overseas if there was a reduction in pricing these tools. But, the prices are remaining the same and the quality just isn't the same. So, Sears is going to be making more money by selling cheaper made tools, all while betting that the "lifetime" warranty will still sway buyers, regardless of the quality of the tools.

doesn't sears sell several levels of quality in their tools?

doesn't sears sell several levels of quality in their tools?

I believe the introduced a "professional" line up about a decade or so ago, I would imagine that they would continue to produce those in the USA.

You can only hope, it would be nice to see a e mail campaign that would tell Sears to keep all Craftsman tools produced in the USA only.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
I think its funny that the OP doesn't like that Craftsman is made in China but the only cars he have are imports.

Ha! Good point.

However, my Nissan was built in Tennessee and my Hyundai in Alabama, so they're pretty American.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
I think its funny that the OP doesn't like that Craftsman is made in China but the only cars he have are imports.

Some people just don't want anything from China.... so it doesn't matter if he/she owns an import.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back