Snap On Sockets, Ratchets and Wrenches?

Gee, I wouldn't like that. There should still be a warranty. I wouldn't like that.
Not that It applies to me as a student or anything.
Just so I'm explaining what I've heard, the student has a warranty. That they sold it to someone else, and someone like myself buys it for 30% off list, I'm the one with no warranty.

I'm not sure, it's what I've heard. Because one can't produce a receipt proving an authorized purchase, when one got it from an eBay seller "BigPawn99!" or something. But then again, they're hand tools, what's going to go wrong? And food for thought, the repair kits for ratchets are very inexpensive--why would they exist and are for sale, if the majority have a warranty? If anyone pays list price, well, they're so fortunate to be able to afford such a price. Few would be willing to pay those numbers. And isn't it the same with car repair....do you pay $170 that you can get on the internet, have a garage install said part, with no warranty, or pay the same garage $380 where they get the part for you, and provide a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty? That $210 extra is buying the 2/24, it really depends on the part and how much labor is involved with a redo....starter motor with 2.5 hours labor, I paid the higher amount last week...garage is pretty confident they're not going to be redoing the job and they enjoy the margin afforded by selling the parts for list...

Last edited:
Why is that? I've read the tool truck guy's cost is about 2/3 of retail. He has lots of room to negotiate a price.

Why go to the hassle of tracking down a tool truck just to pay retail, when I can order online and have it delivered for the same price?
I recently ordered the Snap On LN47ACF pliers off of their website and those $64 pliers turned into $98 pliers from the shipping and taxes. The shipping alone was around $20. I would assume you could buy those pliers off of the truck for the retail price of $64 plus tax.

You'll notice a difference if your craftsman sockets and wrenches are so old that they aren't flank drive.

But snap on isn't 'noticeably' better than other modern sockets and wrenches from Tekton, Sunex or Carlyle, etc with flank drive.

And I own like $6,000 of snap-on tools...

$6k?? That's it??? That's just one power tool! /s

$6k?? That's it??? That's just one power tool! /s
Yeah, that's like a few ratchets and a handful of sockets if you are paying full list!

To be fair, Snap-On does make some pretty good stuff that others do not. Their chrome universal sockets are arguably unbeatable, along with their flare wrenches and Dual 80 ratchets.

Yeah, that's like a few ratchets and a handful of sockets if you are paying full list!

To be fair, Snap-On does make some pretty good stuff that others do not. Their chrome universal sockets are arguably unbeatable, along with their flare wrenches and Dual 80 ratchets.
Their ratchets are good, their flare wrenches and sockets are also good but have quite a few equals and some even better quality for less money.
The main difference is you cant buy them on the never never from a truck in the USA.

Their ratchets are good, their flare wrenches and sockets are also good but have quite a few equals and some even better quality for less money.
The main difference is you cant buy them on the never never from a truck in the USA.
I’m just curious, you say there are quite a few equals to the SO flare wrenches, can you share what they might be ?

I’m just curious, you say there are quite a few equals to the SO flare wrenches, can you share what they might be ?
SO Flare Wrenches are often about the same price as the German options. That is, if you know where to buy em.

In this case it is not only about price, the Stahlwille and Hazet steel is every bit as good as Snap on but from 14mm and up they are 12pt (Stahlwille) which makes a huge difference in tight spots. Unlike cheap tools these do not flare out or slip, they have their version of flank drive on the 12pt also.

Hazet has a special 612N model that is possibly even more expensive but is reinforced at the head, not only does it get the tool at the correct position on the nut but makes it much stronger.

These should not be sold short either, very inexpensive but they work really well, I have owned them many years and never a failure.
The nice thing with these is you can use a long extension to get well hidden line nuts, they work super for holding tie rods while you loosen the nut. I have had a 24" ratchet on the larger sizes and really gave it the business but it held up fine.

In this case it is not only about price, the Stahlwille and Hazet steel is every bit as good as Snap on but from 14mm and up they are 12pt (Stahlwille) which makes a huge difference in tight spots. Unlike cheap tools these do not flare out or slip, they have their version of flank drive on the 12pt also.

Hazet has a special 612N model that is possibly even more expensive but is reinforced at the head, not only does it get the tool at the correct position on the nut but makes it much stronger.

These should not be sold short either, very inexpensive but they work really well, I have owned them many years and never a failure.
The nice thing with these is you can use a long extension to get well hidden line nuts, they work super for holding tie rods while you loosen the nut. I have had a 24" ratchet on the larger sizes and really gave it the business but it held up fine.

Only issue with the German brands - warranty service can be an issue. Obviously this is more important than some items than others, but if you’re paying near Snap-On pricing anyway, it is a factor to be considered.

Just contact the company if you have a legit failure with one of their tools or you need parts for one. Pricing is usually 50% of Snap on if you look around.
SO pricing is usually 30-40% off list if you shop hard enough.

No need to sell me on Snap on I have been buying their stuff when it made sense since 1975, a lot of their tools I prefer other brands that are just as good and in this case price is not the issue. I showed you the additional benefits the German brands offer that the Snap on does not have, price being equal I would buy them anyway.
Tell me what the Snap on line wrench offers that would make them a worthwhile addition to what I already own?

No need to sell me on Snap on I have been buying their stuff when it made sense since 1975, a lot of their tools I prefer other brands that are just as good and in this case price is not the issue. I showed you the additional benefits the German brands offer that the Snap on does not have, price being equal I would buy them anyway.
Tell me what the Snap on line wrench offers that would make them a worthwhile addition to what I already own?
I've got a set of the Hazet 612N with the flanged/reinforced ends. They work very well. The offset ends come in handy sometimes.

1678287540756.jpg

Not saying they do - but for someone who is in the market and willing to pay this level of pricing, I think warranty service should be an important consideration.

I own Snap on but refuse to purchase anything else from them simply because there are so many excellent options to consider that are every bit as good and without the huge price --- ICON for example - great quality and fairly priced. I've been buying them all. Never will I purchase another snap on scanner either after getting an Autel.

Back