Snap On Sockets, Ratchets and Wrenches?

Will I notice the performance difference over old US made, Craftsman tools? Now, the ratchets are an obvious huge upgrade, but what about the wrenches and sockets?

I'm not a professional wrench turner and money is not a factor in the decision.
Since you mentioned old, U.S made Craftsman, I will chime in. My 18", flex-head 1/2" drive Craftsman ratchet us the only 1/2" drive ratchet I've ever owned. I wrenched professionally with it for 10 years and it still comes out anytime I'm doing heavier work. The action is nice and light and it always feels super solid. Never have had it apart, it just works.
I also own several SO ratchets in 3/8 and 1/4 drive (all 20+ years old now). I've stopped using them because they're jammed up or the action is just too heavy. If I took the time to disassemble and lube and clean them would they work again? Probably. But instead I just grab my 8" SK ratchet which, like the Craftsman, just works.
All my 3/8 and 1/4" sockets are old chrome SK. I think I split the 13mm 3/8 drive long ago with my air gun; the replacement is a SnapOn which I'm sure I bought off the tool truck.
My deep 1/2" drive are Craftsman impacts also 20+ year old, they are certainly not "bolt rounders" and have a thick-wall flank-drive design. Again the 13mm is a SnapOn, I left that one under somebody's hood (in case you didn't guess I mostly worked on VW lol). But the 1/2" standard length impacts are all SnapOn. Honestly not much difference in quality as far as I could ever tell.
;TLDR: Based on attrition in my personal toolbox, SnapOn is not worth the extra coin. But my experience is with 20 year old tools. If Craftsman and SK have gone downhill, then SnapOn or other newer brands may be the way to go.

@JWC86 @Trav @The Critic
I want a Koken or Nepros 1/4" ratchet. No flex head, just a standard ratchet.
I got overwhelmed looking on line. I see Koken and Ko-Ken and who knows what.

Would you be so kind to make a recommendation with part number if possible, and maybe a vendor?
A thousand thank yous!
Are these both Japanese?

The Koken is backordered, 10 weeks out.
The 72-tooth Koken should be arriving soon.

@JeffKeryk - for 1/4”, go straight for the SO. I think I paid $115 for my TLLF72, new. I know you said no flex-head, but this one is not floppy at all. Shop around, there are deals to be had.

F4123ECD-02F8-47C3-9DA4-8264A9995B38.jpeg

@JeffKeryk - for 1/4”, go straight for the SO. I think I paid $115 for my TLLF72, new. I know you said no flex-head, but this one is not floppy at all. Shop around, there are deals to be had.

View attachment 139165
Michael, this is a want, not a need. The Tekton stuff works fine for what I do. I have so much (inherited) SO stuff now, I want to see what these high end Japanese tools feel like. I have so many 3/8 ratchets so the 1/4 makes sense. And I seem to use it more and more.

As always, I appreciate your thoughts. Beautiful ratchet, by the way.

I have old craftsman and snap-on and gearwrench sockets and wrenches. They all work fine. Mine are all in a heap in my huge toolboxes, they get used.

I get that, but if the poor techs are so strapped for cash, why would they pay more on the truck?
The truck will give you the ratchet now and you only pay $3 per week. It's like payday lending and it's both tempting and addictive. Source: Me.

The truck will give you the ratchet now and you only pay $3 per week. It's like payday lending and it's both tempting and addictive. Source: Me.
So much this. My first "home" was a mobile home. I purchased it and was able to place on family land at the time.

Anyway, there's a ton of mobile home dealers south of me but they tend to sell to a different, um, "demographic." Several of the dealers could only tell me monthly payment amount. They literally seemed confused when I asked how much it was "total" or to just "buy it outright." All they could do was repeat the monthly payment to me. I seriously don't think anyone ever asked how much it cost to purchase.

Was on a tool truck yesterday - saw a younger tech walk in and grab a Monster and beef jerky. On his way out, he told the driver "I'll pay you $150 this Friday."

You can't help stupid. :rolleyes:
Yeah that is a lot for a monster and a beef jerky 😱😱😱😱😱

Your going to pay full retail and possibly more off the truck.
I may be explaining this incorrectly but what I've heard. Students get 50% off list, with a limit. So they buy all they can at 50% off, then dump them on eBay, and now eBay sellers (big ones) sell them for maybe 20% off list, brand new, 30% if a buyer is lucky. But in this scenario, as I've bought them, my understanding is no warranty. If I've got it wrong, it's what I heard on the internet lol

Also like many other discounts the internet says it's becoming more restrictive on what can be purchased

I may be explaining this incorrectly but what I've heard. Students get 50% off list, with a limit. So they buy all they can at 50% off, then dump them on eBay, and now eBay sellers (big ones) sell them for maybe 20% off list, brand new, 30% if a buyer is lucky. But in this scenario, as I've bought them, my understanding is no warranty. If I've got it wrong, it's what I heard on the internet lol

Also like many other discounts the internet says it's becoming more restrictive on what can be purchased.
Gee, I wouldn't like that. There should still be a warranty. I wouldn't like that.
Not that It applies to me as a student or anything.

Back