Craftsman ratchets from Lowes, two out of two, from two different states and purchased 18 months apart, very poor performers

Try the gunmetal chrome ratchets. They are pretty nice. Little pricey but they were on sale last week at Lowe’s. I use them at home and sometimes I’ll pull one out at work. They sent me one for warranty on one of my old ones and I still have the old one so win win. Their sockets are also pretty decent still but I’d avoid ratchets and screwdrivers from them now that the wrenches are made in India the quality is down tremendously. For regular ratchets and sockets I’ve had really good luck with Duralast from Auto Zone and Power Torque from O’Reilly as something you can get in a store. They seem pretty nice and I like them. Carlyle is nice but expensive as heck for what it is. Though all my Carlyle stuff is really nice.

Same results with both sets- the ratchets were very poor performers.
You've got nothing to lose now except a little time, so take them apart and put just a little dab of grease in the mechanism. (A few other guys here soak the ratchet head in oil every night. If that's your method, so be it) One of my biggest pet peeves is somebody using a ratchet and the teeth inside are dry, making lots of noise and giving itself an early demise.

Gearwrench has a nice plastic 3 drawer socket set with wrenches. Its a little pricey but its well worth it for how well put together it is and comprehensive. I paid much less just a year or two ago. Maybe its cheaper elsewhere.

The Pittsburg Pro ratchets from HF are not bad at all and priced low enough. Their newer style composite ratchets are great, when it is freezing and you need to do some work on broken down OPE you really appreciate it. They are strong enough for normal work without a cheater pipe. Carlyle are good but retail price is getting close to top tier and are also Taiwan made like the Pittsburg or Kobalt.

The composite ratchet is the first one I grab nowadays, at least in 3/8".

On top of all their social engineering which we won't discuss HD now no longer offers cash back through Rakuten. I already eliminated HD as an acceptable source but still look at links to get ideas. This latest news today confirms my decision as that cash back adds up over time.

I’ve bought a few cars from across country, and driven them long distances. I’ve always just checked a bag with some core key tools. No big deal.

Last car I bought in CA, I determined that I needed a 1/4 universal for something and didn’t have it. It was super easy to buy and set up a will call pickup at the grainger, in this case in Henderson NV, and I had it in hours. US made proto.

Amazon locker pickups also work well. You can get decent stuff.

But even though checking a bag is $$, so is buying junk tool kits, and a checked bag lets you bring anything you need.

If you can carry on a socket set it may be worth it to do that and take your chances with buying a screwdriver if you need one.

Last edited:
I’ve been really disappointed in Craftsman tools lately.

Their boxes are OK, and I’ve bought several recently.

But the only Craftsman hand tools I’ve bought recently were from an antique store in Ivor, VA when I was up buying a Wilton vise. Found a nice 1/2” ratchet (made in the USA) and a good 7/8” (made in the USA) combination wrench.

So, for a guy flying in and then using tools, I’m not sure what to recommend - perhaps try Carlyle at NAPA? They seem decently made at a reasonable price.
As bad as it sounds, Harbor Freight has some good auto tools. Their "higher end" line, i would put up against any other brand

As bad as it sounds, Harbor Freight has some good auto tools. Their "higher end" line, i would put up against any other brand
It's interesting to watch them over the last 25 years or so. I mean we all now the first 20 or whatever years was straight up garbage with some few exceptions. My 20 ton press purchased in the 1998 for around $150 still works just fine. Now they have two lines that compete with big box store stuff.

I have yet to meet a Craftsman ratchet that I have been impressed with.
I'm not just talking about the new stuff, I'm talking about the old as well.
They have always been loose with lots of slop in the mechanisms.
I have always found the sockets, extensions, etc. to be fine.
Generally, a lot of value in the sets.
I'm still using and probably will never get rid of a couple of sets that my Grandmother bought me in the late 70's when I was in High School.
However, I have upgraded the ratchets.
I actually agree. About "19" years ago I decided I'd rather have used Snap On, than new Craftsman ratchets. I got my first used Snap On for $38, a S936. At the time, I thought $38 is a little more than a new Craftsman 1/2" ratchet, but let me try it. Obviously that was a rabbit hole for more and more used Snap On, then new on eBay. I do have a 2004 60 piece Craftsman that is my go to when I don't feel like going to the basement to get tools. It does the trick, but I would guess the 2004 is better than what's issued today...my .02

edit--fixing my math, I think 19 years ago is more accurate because I know my first Snap On was from a pawn shop on eBay :)

It's interesting to watch them over the last 25 years or so. I mean we all now the first 20 or whatever years was straight up garbage with some few exceptions. My 20 ton press purchased in the 1998 for around $150 still works just fine. Now they have two lines that compete with big box store stuff.
I wouldn't even consider any other place for a jack. I've been using 2 low profile 3 ton jacks for 10 years now (unfortunately steel!! not lightweight at all). Every once in a while I'll use the 1 1/2 ton aluminum one, also have 2.

I actually agree. About 25 years ago I decided I'd rather have used Snap On, than new Craftsman ratchets. I got my first used Snap On for $38, a S936. At the time, I thought $38 is a little more than a new Craftsman 1/2" ratchet, but let me try it. Obviously that was a rabbit hole for more and more used Snap On, then new on eBay. I do have a 2004 60 piece Craftsman that is my go to when I don't feel like going to the basement to get tools. It does the trick, but I would guess the 2004 is better than what's issued today...my .02

The rest of the set is probably decent for the money.
However, I would BMOR (Bring My Own Ratchet.)

I wouldn't even consider any other place for a jack. I've been using 2 low profile 3 ton jacks for 10 years now (unfortunately steel!! not lightweight at all). Every once in a while I'll use the 1 1/2 ton aluminum one, also have 2.
They are definitely heavy. When we got ours my dad dropped it on his foot trying to pry the plastic piece off that keeps it from pumping in the box and could barely walk for days. Luckily it hit in the right spot and didn’t break it. I had to lift it from the buggy to the trunk and about killed myself lol. They are the best jacks for the money today in my opinion.

I got this the other day. It's not even labelled "Klein". That said, for $20 it's a GREAT little ratchet. The regular Craftsman is complete garbage in comparison. The direction lock up is solid, yet just the right feel. The pawl is positive and 72T, a little noisy but OK. Will lube.

Made in Taiwan.

Reactions: GON
Craftsman ratchets, never seen a good one. I´m saving up for some NAPA Carlye ratchets.
Now you have. The round head fine tooth along with the older professional series Pablo had pictured earlier in this thread were fine tools.

I’ve got several Gearwrench and Carlyle ratchets they’re a good fine tooth option. When I need something that’s fine tooth AND strong I grab one of my Snap On ratchets.

Attachments

• IMG_4702.jpeg
    IMG_4702.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 12
Back